Used Nikon AF 80-200mm F2.8 Silent Wave ED Lens

• Thread starter ditchdigger
  • Start date
It is a lovely lens... is it worth £1k?

Well yes I think it might be if you don't want/need VR and are a FF user, but ONLY if it has had a new AF-S motor and associated electronics replaced lately. I paid £740 for mine but with no guarantee (it does have a new motor, DC-DC and main board though and optically is perfect). These lenses are at the latest 2003 and so are now around 6-10 years old. The lens itself and mechanicals are bomb proof, but the electronics can fail after time. A new AF-S motor is about £180 + fitting.

I love mine and would only part with it if I had to.

Seems quite expensive. I bought mine off this forum for £750. Very pleased with it.

S/H 70-200 VR F2.8 is around that price, if that is what you are prepared to spend.

they seem rare its the only one i found for sale

its not a private sale the price will be higher,take a look at grays prices to compare

12 mth warranty i thought was good

Yes they are quite rare, and worth looking for... it took me about 2 months to find mine. As far as I'm concerned, £750 is about the right price, but as you say it has 12 months warranty on it... if that is worth £250 to you then (y)

The optics on the AF-S are completely different to the AF-D, it's sharp wide open, super fast to AF and great OoF highlights from the rounded aperture blades. That's worth £750 of my money anyway (without a warranty)

i was only trying to give a heads up in case anyone wanted...

Back