Vauxhall rip off

I had a silly 5.5V8 2 seater Merc a few years ago. Discs and pads were £2500 a set.
Merc dealer said you are down to 30% would you like them changing. :runaway:

I asked him to think about what he just said.

The car had done 30,000 miles in the first 5 yrs of its life.
I had done 5k miles in 12 months. So in 5 years and 30k miles it had used up 70% of its pads.
Now % are not an exact science when it comes to brake pads and are open to interpretation.

So lets work on thirds for ease of maths. And say the car has used 2/3rds of its brakes in 5 yrs and 30k miles.

I told him to ask again in a couple of years.

dealers hey

a lot of stealers work on a commission basis (yes even the mechanics) not entirely sure exactly how it works, but my local toomeys get commission on how many cars they fix/get in and out on there ramps.

the service department earn commission on how much extra work they book onto a ob, and the parts departments get commission on how much parts they sell.

everyone is on a very small basic and rely on commission to top it up.

on the plus side they like warranty work as they can all get nice top ups direct from the manufacture

Bonus's also come from charging book time on fitting a clutch. Book says 6hrs yet they mange 2 in an 8 hr shift

Etc etc.

More than a few years ago I had a vauxhall carlton, the fault i had was the engine would just die regardless of speed, gear, conditions etc. I decided to take it to my local vauxhall dealer who told me they were sure it was the airflow sensor which would be £450 fitted, I asked if this would definitely solve the problem "umm we are 90% sure it will" not good enough was my reply. I mentioned this to a home mechanic at my works and he said to change the fuel pump relay ...£24 which I did and the fault never again appeared in the following 6 years. My guess is the garage knew the fault and would have changed the relay and charged me £450 stating it was the airflow sensor.

But their eqpt probably didn't cost £11.99 from eBay!!

Makes you wonder why people book me to take photos of them when they could simply buy a camera from Argos for £50.

Agreed but now a car is basically a computer with warning lights - it only tells you when it has gone wrong and you need to know what the problem is and I resent paying a fee for the car to tell the dealer whsat the problem is.

I'll happily scan it for £15. Or in case of VW I can reprogram anything :)

Back