Beginner Very Friendly Robin

Name
Sian
Edit My Images
Yes
My first photo post. On a recent trip to Avon Heath Country Park I came across this little robin who was more than happy to sit and 'chat' with my 9 year old niece. She would whistle at it and it would listen then chirp back at her. She was so thrilled to be having a 'conversation' with a robin. I suspect that'll be a memory that sticks with her.

Robin.jpg

They are lovely little birds Sian and almost always very friendly, some people regularly feed them from their hands ... a great introduction to wildlife for your niece.
Next time try to get a photo with the bird on a branch or something off a feeder, it just looks more natural, but you have got it against a pleasing background :)

bg - pleasant
perch - a matter of taste, but not for me - a negative in this shot
light coming only from the LHS
colours good
relatively sharpe
crop - bird a little central, but the perch dominates, but maybe that's OK for an urban Robin

all my comments are of course subjective

bg - pleasant
perch - a matter of taste, but not for me - a negative in this shot
light coming only from the LHS
colours good
relatively sharpe
crop - bird a little central, but the perch dominates, but maybe that's OK for an urban Robin

all my comments are of course subjective

Thanks for the feedback. The perch I know, wouldn't have been my first choice ideally. What does the abbreviation LHS stand for please?

Certainly true but when an image is posted in a critique forum, then everyone else gets the chance to try and help improve the shot and what to look out for in the viewfinder, next time (y)

I find that in most cases the critique is good and a lot can be learned from it(y) the thing is if a newbie does not agree with it don't let it upset you, just learn and improve:)

I find that in most cases the critique is good and a lot can be learned from it(y) the thing is if a newbie does not agree with it don't let it upset you, just learn and improve:)

As you say,Charles, accepting critique (constructive critique, that is) is essential if the aim is to improve images and should be welcomed and for the most part is ..what's equally essential,however, is the manner in which it's given.

Last edited:
As a relative newcomer to this forum I have to say that the critique has been (for me, anyway) positive - even when they are saying things that are showing the areas for improvement in my photograph. The comments are always put in a polite and positive manner. When they are subjective it has been shown to be so (as in this thread).
At the end of the day, this photo will remind Sian of her day with her niece and 'chatting' with the robin - priceless
.Sian, welcome to the forum!

As you say,Charles, accepting critique (constructive critique, that is) is essential if the aim is to improve images and should be welcomed and for the most part is ..what's equally essential,however, is the manner in which it's given.

Very true what you just said :agree:

This gets mentioned so much - the same old merry go round - it's a Critique section - post Critique and some get offended - post "good shot" and some think it's a waste of time - some then say Critique is good but it should be given in the "right" way - what is the "right" way, it depends who you are

In the end many very good bird togs have given up and now never bother, or only give Crit to the people they "know" .........mainly because someone in the past has taken offence .. in the past new people on the forum have suggested that there is a clique because of this and that their images are not commented upon

The way to improve is to take in what people say, no matter how harsh, and consider what they say and look at any advice given - you then decide if it is relevant to you ........ the person offering the Critique is not a mind reader

but it sometimes makes you wonder if at all you should bother

Last edited:
[

Please continue
The way to improve is to take in what people say, no matter how harsh, and consider what they say and look at any advice given - you then decide if it is relevant to you ........ the person offering the Critique is not a mind reader

but it sometimes makes you wonder if at all you should bother

Please continue to bother! As a recipient of your critique in the past I have found it invaluable in helping me improve (in a relatively short period of time). I have found your comments to be helpful, delivered in a positive manner, not unkind and you realize when something is subjective (and say so). So thank you and keep commenting!

Back