Video: From snapshot to Special Branch: how my camera made me a terror suspect

It is always possible there is more to the story that we do not know, but based on the evidence as seen I agree entirely. It does not look good at all. I find the reminder from the video guy that he is filming to be especially alarming. Is he afraid that something even more unpalatable might be captured on camera?

Is it any wonder citizens are feeling the need to stand up for their rights and not to cave in to jumped up, officious, self-important asses? FFS, if I'm walking around, taking photographs, and minding my own business, does it really need anyone to enquire what I am doing? What does it bloody look like I'm doing?

I've always been a strong supporter of the police, and rather anti any kind of demonstration against authority and the state, but I am beginning to change my tune. This kind of behaviour is not acceptable and should not be allowed to continue. The police do have a tough job to do but over reacting or causing the problem in the first place is hardly the answer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/paullewis

That is absolutely disgusting.

I've always been supportive of the police, but I've been questioned for hanging out with my mates in public places (not causing any distress or public disorder, just literally sitting around chatting) and had my details taken (only because I thought it was illegal to not give them) too many times.

I've been asked to stop taking photographs many times by security guards, to which I've replied "Sorry, but you have no right to ask me to do that, and I will not stop photographing as it is not a crime" and they've just walked off grumbling.

I'm yet to be questioned by the police but I will not go down without a fight.

I can really see a huge V for Vendetta backlash going on.

I know probably most of you sit at home reading your copy of whatever reactionary newspaper and grumble to the other half/dog/cat/invisible friend about "those bloody protesters", but how many of you have ever been along to a demo?

Its a worthwhile experience to do it at least once in your life and just maybe you will see what happens... you don't have to agree with whatever protest it is, but just go see for the experience.

I suggest you leave your camera at home though....

But anyway, we are straying off of the subject of photographers vs the police :D

+1
There indeed may be contributing factors, but that's so shocking it could happen in this country that watching it I felt slightly sick.

Did that lead to Paul Lewis's docklands mission in the OP, or did Paul Lewis interview them as a response to how he was treated?

No, Paul Lewis didn't interview them subsequently as that is an old report of his. I saw it months ago at the time when the FIT (Forward Intelligence Team) were getting some bad press. Here is a link to the original article by George Monbiot discussing it http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2009/jun/22/kingsnorth-fit-police-surveillance

See you all on Jan 23rd then :)

http://photographernotaterrorist.org/

with or without camera, with or without film/media.

I know probably most of you sit at home reading your copy of whatever reactionary newspaper and grumble to the other half/dog/cat/invisible friend about "those bloody protesters", but how many of you have ever been along to a demo?

Its a worthwhile experience to do it at least once in your life and just maybe you will see what happens... you don't have to agree with whatever protest it is, but just go see for the experience.

I suggest you leave your camera at home though....

But anyway, we are straying off of the subject of photographers vs the police :D

I'll try and make it to the gathering, and if I do I'll definitely be bringing my camera.

Back