video:Stopped yesterday for photographing in a public place!

Name
tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday day (12/12/11) I was in Mansfield documenting the town I grew up in as part of a personally photography project and came across some trouble from two local PCSO's.

I was walking along and took a photograph where the were in frame, nothing was said until I was roughly 50 meters or so away when I heard someone shout "oi mate" I ignored it thinking it wasn't for me and it happened twice more so turned round, they called me over, wasn't sure what was the issue tho had a sneaky suspicion it may be due to my photography. In Nottingham the police know the law and know you can take street shots, this seems not to be the case in Mansfield Nottinghamshire.

The male PCSO then asked me what I was doing, so explained, politely. They bluntly said I can't take photographs in the street of any one, I need their consent. So explained that wasn't the case, I don't hassle people, I take a shot say thank you if close enough and move on. Often I engage in long conversations with my subjects, recently undertaking a project on street portraiture for the Guardian. The officer then went on to demand I delete the images and he could apparently sue me for taking his photograph. Bear in mind at no point was I on private lad, and in a public space whereas a photographer or a member of the public I am well in my right to do so. I then refused to delete the images I had captured. After being told it was illegal to take photographs in a public place, I tried to explain the laws on such matters, though was spoken over very rudely by the female officer. Even when calmly explaining I had studied the laws in University and was not plucking them out of thin air, I was again shot down and told I was in the wrong. I was told by the female officer I should get permission of everyone I photograph in a public space, again trying to explain this was impassible and would take me all day for each shot. I gave an example of how when I covered the recent protests in Nottingham if I was to do what she's suggested I would need to ask over 10,000 people before taking a photograph as would the news filming the events. Again this did not wash with her.

I then asked what i was being stopped for and the male officer left and walked 50 or so meters away to radio the station. during this time i was constantly being told that i was harassing the officer as she did not want her photo taken, again tried talking to her, explaining about cctv etc, tho she was having none of it, i again asked what i was being stopped or arrested for and she admitted not knowing, and that she "will find out once I've arrested you"! Simply I was shocked.

She then got radioed and again said that if I was seen taking photographs or any member of public spoke to them about myself I would be as she put it "nicked" for harassment. In my years of professional photography, I have never had one member of the public complain, the complete opposite would be true, positive feed back. "Harassment is defined as a 'course of conduct' [so it has to happen at least twice) that causes another person 'alarm or distress', but we have to say that the bullying and aggressive antics of the paparazzi would suggest that prosecutions are few and far between."

The PCSO's attitudes were terrible, sadly I only managed to record the last couple of minutes on my SLR, once threats of harassment were dished out. It is a shame that in todays society people being given slight powers as a PCSO are both making up laws from thin air and rather than building relations between the public and police, ads like this just make us question their role in the community eve more.

As a son of two ex police officers I am fully aware of the great things the force does, but its simple thing such as not educating the officers they are putting on the streets that concerns me and many other photographers.

The video of the last couple of minutes with the PCSO's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQT-SZ3U4h8&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
Did you get their badge numbers? I'd be making a complaint straight to the police department of mansfield

Oh dear. It gets to a point when you know you are arguing a point with someone that clearly has no idea, that you are not going to win and you have to stop taking them seriously.

At which point I probably would have asked her if she wanted to go out for a drink when her shift ends. :LOL:

Lodge a complaint.

Sounds like she was harassing you, to be fair, especially seeing as you tried pointing out the fact of the law and she responded with "I'll find out [which law] when I arrest you"

Blooming plastics. They're useless jumped up little twerps that failed to be good enough to get into the real police. Definitely complain. They only have powers to arrest the same as an ordinary citizen not full on police powers from what I remember.

Disgraceful behaviour. This is of course assuming they're in fact real and they weren't after nicking your camera?!

Your video seemed to show you handling perfectly those "over-zealous forces of law and order"!

Thanks for sharing it here and I for one look forward to seeing how this runs with the wider press. (y)

Or tomorrow's radio ;)

Well done for getting the footage. Lots and lots of wrong from the pcso. I hope she'll be getting a good finger wagging from her sergeant at the very least. And do let the BBC, local papers and anyone else who can spread the message have it, please!

To use my phrase of the month, a hoof in the giblets is in order :p She doesn't have a child called Omnee does she?

i think it's definitely worth adding a dictaphone to the bag whenever you go out shooting in places where there's a chance you could be brought to task by the fuzz - i'd love to hear some of the conversations that go on :bonk:

The only time i've ever had it was in Picaddilly train station where i knew i might get stopped - but i couldn't find anyone to ask permission - so i just snapped away. The station master clocked me and asked me what i was taking pictures of, so i told him it's a hobby and he said fine, no problem.

i think it's definitely worth adding a dictaphone to the bag whenever you go out shooting in places where there's a chance you could be brought to task by the fuzz - i'd love to hear some of the conversations that go on :bonk:

The only time i've ever had it was in Picaddilly train station where i knew i might get stopped - but i couldn't find anyone to ask permission - so i just snapped away. The station master clocked me and asked me what i was taking pictures of, so i told him it's a hobby and he said fine, no problem.

Dictaphone, how old is that, I carry one of these

sc.jpg

Though only a mug would pay more than £10 on ebay

Use them as cyclecams ideal see bottom of page

http://sirpatrickmooresales.co.uk/Ourpage.aspx

Last edited:
Lol - right at the end

PC "blah blah blah, Then you'll be nicked"

OP "Under what law"

PC "I'll find out when I arrest you for it".

:bang: The fact that somebody wants to be a PCSO should automatically exclude them from the selection process.

Lol - right at the end

PC "blah blah blah, Then you'll be nicked"

OP "Under what law"

PC "I'll find out when I arrest you for it".

:bang: The fact that somebody wants to be a PCSO should automatically exclude them from the selection process.

Lets be clear, neither of them were PC's! (thats half the problem!).

I'm still amazed this continues to happen :bang:

(y) Absolutely!

Same with forum moderators :p

I personally never even wanted to be a milk monitor :nuts:

what shocked me more was they claimed they would arrest me, tho have no powers of arrest!!

Not quite true IIRC - they have the same power of arrest as you and me - just not the same powers as a real copper. If in doubt, demand that they call a real copper to the scene - they should know the law.

These pretend police officers are a waste of space and the money we pay them.

Cardboard cut outs would do a better job.

I love it how she's going to arrest you for something but doesn't actually know what it is yet! Genius! :D:bonk:

Too many of these people about at the mo. Very frustating.

I find this hilarious... Happens all the time now!! Why don't they learn?!

To be fair.. No it doesn't ..

To be fair.. No it doesn't ..

S'right. It's very rare and getting rarer. I've done a few press shoots with PCSOs around the South West, mostly when they've been involved in doing stuff with local kids. Never had any trouble with them. Not all are from the same planet as Tom's girlfriend.

"Of course there's different laws for different places" Genius.

CaptainPenguin said:
A couple of years a go a couple of gun toting coppers were quite happy for me to take their shot outside Portsmouth dockyards but they were proper police and knew the law

... and that's the point - properly trained plod, not jumped up civil patrol officers.

I'd rather hoped that this sort of pooh had disappeared, but it seems not. What's most worrying is not so much the photography aspect, but that a PCSO thinks they can ride rough shod over a member of the public with little or no factual basis.

First of all it's pretty brave of you to take a nice DSLR onto the streets of Mansfield!!!!!!! (as I was born in Kings Mill Hospital, I'm allowed to say it)

Good on you though for standing up for yourself calmly. I love the fact that she didn't have a clue about what law she might arrest you on. I would have walked away while finding the number for the local police station, then calmly turned around and taken a picture of her. If she then said anything I'd have called the number to report being harrassed.

Back