Visit to Scotland

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

I am planning two week trip to Scotland, commencing May 3rd, would welcome any advice on what to Photograph ( Landscapes/Mountains /Glen's etc) and the location of same, also any RED SQUIRREL area's

I'll be staying Close to Inverness but will travel - Skye is on my "To Do" list already

Thanks in advance

Les ;)

Glen Afric is very pretty and you could see Red Squirrel if you take the woodland walk there. There are Red Kite on the Black Isle. You can see Bottle-Nose Dolphin from the shore at Fortrose if the tide is right. Lots of opportunties in the area..

I'd suggest dropping into or contacting Aigas Field Centre, they may be able to give you some pointers. They also do day packages, but I don't know how much they are.

Pretty much stay west and north. I live in the east, it's not safe there.:grumpy:

Definitely have a look at the NW coast. Google for Torridon, Applecross, Pass of the Cattle and Loch Maree; all are spectacular. Also agree about going further north and west towards and beyond Ullapool and as you are based near Inverness, seeing the dolphins from Chanonry Point (Fortrose) as already mentioned, is a must.

However, some of the distances are big. A circuit from Inverness that would take in Torridon, Applecross, Pass of the Cattle and part of Loch Maree is the best part of 170 miles and its about 70 miles from Inverness just to get to the Skye Bridge. If you are happy with this then go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Dave

:)As stated in other posts, NW is spectacular. Will be waiting to see the shots with great anticipation Les.

You can cover a lot of ground in two weeks - I've often done it. As well as the places above, I'll stick in a mention of Glen Nevis (near Fort William); and Glenmore, down the round from Aviemore that leads to Cairngorm. Aviemore is about 30 mins drive from Inverness, depending on where in Inverness you start! If you want to see red squirrels, try the cafe on the edge of the camp site. Not the cafe at the tourist info place, or the cafe on the loch shore. I've rarely been disappointed, although I might have to make several trips. An almost guaranteed red squirrel viewing place is the Inschriach Nurseries tearoom.

A lot depends on what sort of landscape you like; you can get lots of "different" types in Scotland. If you do go to Fort William, make at least a trip to see Neptune's Staircase.

The scenery down Glen Etive near Glen Coe is worth exploring.

Just to add - you can explore a lot from your chair with Google streetview.

Hi Les

Reds and crested tits are often seen at the osprey centre in Abernerthy - as indeed are ospreys!
If you want dolphins at Chanonry take your tide times with you and aim for a couple of hours after low tide - they hunt on a rising tide (usually!).
If you're lucky there may still be some kites left on the Black Isle - ooooohhhhh makes my blood boil.

One of my favourite places is Spey Bay, we've managed ospreys, otters and dolphins all in one day!

As for landscapes - all of the above but a personal favourite is Glen Nevis.

Have fun

cheers, cw

I'm local to the Aviemore area and around the Cairngorms. Glenmore is very popular for red squirrels, I saw three out on a cycle today by Loch Morlich and if you visit Glenmore shop you might even get a visit whilst in the cafe. They have squirrel runs and bird tables just metres away from the cafe windows so you can eat at the same time as squirrel spotting lol. If you're lucky enough you might even spot a Capercaillie, Reindeer or even a white Ptarmigan around the Cairngorm area.

There's no shortage of locations that are great for photography around where yuou'll be staying. Could write pages of locations for you.

Last edited:
I'm local to the Aviemore area and around the Cairngorms. Glenmore is very popular for red squirrels, I saw three out on a cycle today by Loch Morlich and if you visit Glenmore shop you might even get a visit whilst in the cafe. They have squirrel runs and bird tables just metres away from the cafe windows so you can eat at the same time as squirrel spotting lol. If you're lucky enough you might even spot a Capercaillie, Reindeer or even a white Ptarmigan around the Cairngorm area.

There's no shortage of locations that are great for photography around where yuou'll be staying. Could write pages of locations for you.
There's also loch Garten? for Ospreys

There's also loch Garten? for Ospreys
Yes Loch Garten as well, and a visible Ospreys nest at Loch Insh. No shortage of wildlife and scenery shots around Scotland anyway. Could be here all day with lists of locations.

Another vote for the west coast. There are dramatic views all the way from Fort William to Ullapool including looking across to the Isles.

A little tip - you should be alright in May but take a good supply of midge repellent with you just in case.

Back