WAMT....what annoyed me today!

The A396. Specifically the bridge over the Exe at Bickleigh. Back in April, the road was closed for repairs to the keep-lorries-on-the-road kerb. Early this morning, a (presumably) tired artic driver was going too fast, clipped the aforementioned kerb and took out a significant portion of the bridge. Now the road will be closed for several weeks while a huge amount will be spent repairing it. What needs to be done is to either abandon the bridge and put a modern one in its place (which TBH would be a shame - it's a pretty bridge!) or traffic lights and better signage put up to reduce the frequency of similar accidents happening.

The A396. Specifically the bridge over the Exe at Bickleigh. Back in April, the road was closed for repairs to the keep-lorries-on-the-road kerb. Early this morning, a (presumably) tired artic driver was going too fast, clipped the aforementioned kerb and took out a significant portion of the bridge. Now the road will be closed for several weeks while a huge amount will be spent repairing it. What needs to be done is to either abandon the bridge and put a modern one in its place (which TBH would be a shame - it's a pretty bridge!) or traffic lights and better signage put up to reduce the frequency of similar accidents happening.

An alternative would be to mount a couple of video cameras connected to remote monitors and when an artic, or other commercial vehicle, damages the bridge, force the driver and his employer to pay for the repairs.

One of my favourites was when a drunk in a pub commented on how clever my Assistance Dog was when he asked 'how does he know how to steer?'. :facepalm: :ROFLMAO:
I'm more interested in where he keeps him money, when he goes to fetch you a pint :D

Reactions: Sky
An alternative would be to mount a couple of video cameras connected to remote monitors and when an artic, or other commercial vehicle, damages the bridge, force the driver and his employer to pay for the repairs.

This time, the lorry was well and truly stuck - offside tractor wheels were through the parapet of the bridge. The people I pity most over it are the owners of the café/restaurant/tourist attraction that is just the Exeter side of the bridge and relies on passing trade - there will be NO passing trade until the bridge is repaired and they've only just reopened after covid. It's a minor PITA for us; it takes us as long to get to the motorway (the only other way up to Tiverton) as it does to get to Mrs Nod's Mum up the valley! The closed road is also the main route for high loads, avoiding the low bridges over the motorway.

WAMT?

The continuing constraints in the Semi-conductor market, which dont show any signs of easing. Some manufacturers are claiming we can expect to be seeing the same issues for another 12 to 18 months. Making my work life absolutely effing s***e!!

The closed road is also the main route for high loads, avoiding the low bridges over the motorway.
It sometimes feels as if that bridge is more trouble than it's worth. When I worked in Tiverton and had to come over the hills via the Crediton road, It seemed that there was a problem there most weeks. The real problem seems to be that DCC thought that, with the M5 / A361 link in place, the traffic through Bickleigh would fall away. To say that was naive is understating the matter. :banghead:

It's needed traffic lights (almost as badly as the road through Starcross!) for at least 50 years. If it's not a lorry that hits it, it's a bus or it's blocked by a caravanner unable to reverse when they meet a similarly challenged Honda Jazz/Kia Piccanto.

WAMT was discovering that the Tassimo Costa latté I drink has almost 50% of my saturated fat RDA in the 3 cups I allow myself. Going to switch to their americanos instead and a splash of semi skimmed!

A few years back I went to specsavers for my eye test and glasses, they messed up 4 times requiring me to
drive into town I told them I wouldn't be coming back and to post them or refund me

Recently I was overdue another eye test, only place I could get an appointment was at a different Specsavers
Catalogue of absolute disasters, another 4 visits, including today a chipped lens in a new pair that had finally made
it to the correct shop shop

Guess I shouldn't have gone to Soecsavers and I won't be ever again

Last edited:
Guess I shouldn't have gone to Soecsavers and I won't be ever again

I'm with you on that - I'll never use them again either. Four different branches and cock-ups with all of them. Absolutely useless. :banghead:

Don't be tempted to use them for ear tests either - they'll try and sell you a pair of hearing aids for between £800-£1200 when they're exactly the same as the ones you'll get from the NHS which are free if you qualify or just £300-£400ish if you don't.

Ours is great. They picked up my ocular hypertension and got me in to see someone up at the eye centre in the hospital within 2 weeks (well under control with eye drops so glaucoma is still well over the horizon). Eye tests are thorough and usually on time (unless I balls up and organise one during 1/2 term/school holidays...). Specs arrive quickly and are correct.

Ours is great. They picked up my ocular hypertension and got me in to see someone up at the eye centre in the hospital within 2 weeks (well under control with eye drops so glaucoma is still well over the horizon). Eye tests are thorough and usually on time (unless I balls up and organise one during 1/2 term/school holidays...). Specs arrive quickly and are correct.

That was exactly my experience with my local branch of Specsavers. They are effectively a franchise operation and as a result the standard of examination and provision of spectacles/contact lenses does vary widely.

Went to Nationwide today to pay in a cheque. As I walked towards the counters, I was called over to a member of staff sitting at a desk.

She asked what I was here to do today, which I answered. She said (as I expected) that I could use the machines and indicated over her shoulder.

I said that I preferred to use a counter, as I want people to have jobs.

Instead of smiling and letting me go about my business, she went on to explain this was to avoid me having to queue. I looked hard at her... I then turned and looked at the branch. I turned back to her and pointed out that I was the only customer in the branch.

She still persisted to claim that her suggestion was to help to prevent a queue forming.

I politely, but firmly, repeated I was going to use a counter and walked off.

Reactions: Nod
New Year's Eve ritual - change the smoke alarm batteries so they don't go off at 02:00! Unless I forget...

It's needed traffic lights (almost as badly as the road through Starcross!) for at least 50 years. If it's not a lorry that hits it, it's a bus or it's blocked by a caravanner unable to reverse when they meet a similarly challenged Honda Jazz/Kia Piccanto.

A while ago I found myself behind one of those long logging lorries (fully loaded) approaching Holne Bridge. For anyone who doesn't know, it's a narrow 2 way road running up one side of the Dart, a 90 deg bend onto a very narrow bridge and another 90 deg bend off the other side as the road then runs up the other side of the river. I just stopped well back and felt priviliged to be there watching. I felt sure if I'd been able to compliment the driver he would have shrugged it off as just a normal day in the office.

Fairly similar bridge but the Bickleigh one is on an A road and sees a lot of heavy lorries rather than being on a (very!) scenic route up onto the moor.

We have a lot of long straight roads here, and a lot of dual carriageways too.
Obviously there are also a lot of roundabouts, No people they are not for parking on!
Use the car parks!
:D

As I wrote before, County Hall thought everyone would go via the M5. It does make you wonder, what planet have the denizens of Topsham Road landed from?

Speaking of which: what about Mr. Greenslade? Brian Greenslade: Sex pest former Devon council leader jailed - Devon Live

I hope he gets similar treatment from his new friends.

The M5 is all very well but it takes almost as long to get from here to the Sandygate roundabout (or the A30) as it does to get to Tiverton up the valley!

I hope he gets similar treatment from his new friends.

Never ceases to amaze me how people are so approving of criminal behaviour :(.

PayPal have limited my account without notice (can't make payments or withdrawals) and are asking me to declare whether I am a 'Politically exposed person' before removing limitations, apparently it'll take up to 5 days to review. Very inconvenient timing and subscriptions are failing, I appreciate the need for periodic verification but the lack of notice has annoyed me.

So Mr PayPal, guess where you can shove your service :/

Its seems more and more people ( sellers ) are moving away from PayPal.
Maybe good for them, but perhaps not so good for eBay buyers with the "protection"

I bought a card at ASDA, wrote it in the car, put the stamp on, sealed it and stopped at the box to post it only to find that the envelope hadn't and wouldn't seal. So, back home to find the glue stick and then walk to the box.

It's the lack of care that annoys me. So much we buy is less than good, faulty, substandard or often just poor. Services too. It'd be just lovely if those selling stuff and services cared a bit more about quality.

I know it's only an envelope with duff glue but it'll be something else soon :D

I bought a card at ASDA, wrote it in the car, put the stamp on, sealed it and stopped at the box to post it only to find that the envelope hadn't and wouldn't seal. So, back home to find the glue stick and then walk to the box.

It's the lack of care that annoys me. So much we buy is less than good, faulty, substandard or often just poor. Services too. It'd be just lovely if those selling stuff and services cared a bit more about quality.

I bought a card from ASDA this morning, only cost me 28p and it was a nice card and a good strong envelope, plus a nice helping of glue on the flap.
Suppose if it was one of the dearer card at about £5 then I would be a little miffed at a glueless flap. ;)

Last edited:
I bought a card from ASDA this morning, only cost me 28p and it was a nice card and a good strong envelope, plus a nice helping of glue on the flap.

I trust nether of you licked the envelopes in this present pandemic. :oops: :$

Putting in a big complaint about my mothers hopeless carers, she pays a small fortune for the care and they are useless. They leave my mums flat in a mess and don't sign in as they should do, so have just got on to the Quality care lot to complain, looks like I will be doing a lot more from now on.

Plus not always wearing masks in mums flat is a BIG NO NO from me. And to say they wont have a vaccine as they don't trust it, is stupid. If you can't do the job right then leave.

Last edited:
Putting in a big complaint about my mothers hopeless carers, she pays a small fortune for the care and they are useless. They leave my mums flat in a mess and don't sign in as they should do, so have just got on to the Quality care lot to complain, looks like I will be doing a lot more from now on.

Plus not always wearing masks in mums flat is a BIG NO NO from me. And to say they wont have a vaccine as they don't trust it, is stupid. If you can't do the job right then leave.

I understand your concerns but vaccination isn't compulsory for NHS staff or care workers at this point. Government are reportedly planning to make it a legal requirement for both, but may face resistance. See https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/05/29/nhs-staff-face-compulsory-covid-vaccination/

I understand your concerns but vaccination isn't compulsory for NHS staff or care workers at this point. Government are reportedly planning to make it a legal requirement for both, but may face resistance. See https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/05/29/nhs-staff-face-compulsory-covid-vaccination/

If they can not have a vaccine, then they will have to wear a mask every time while at my mothers. If they choose not to wear a mask, then they will not get in my mums flat. All the many folk these people help they should have to always have a mask on.

If they can not have a vaccine, then they will have to wear a mask every time while at my mothers. If they choose not to wear a mask, then they will not get in my mums flat. All the many folk these people help they should have to always have a mask on.
Absolutely agree. They should be both vaccinated and masked. It’s a high risk thing I should guess, presuming they go from house to house. It if a client who is otherwise isolating catches COVID from them, I would hold the service provider responsible.

Absolutely agree. They should be both vaccinated and masked. It’s a high risk thing I should guess, presuming they go from house to house. It if a client who is otherwise isolating catches COVID from them, I would hold the service provider responsible.

I'm going over to my Mum's tomorrow and if a carer is not wearing a mask again, I will tell them to get out of my Mum's flat as they are putting her at risk. I have a very busy few days to try and get a good carer lot instead of these fools.

Back