WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Oh I've done worse John.... A kid running around a restaurant was driving me crazy, his parents did nothing, so after about the 5th or 6th time I stuck my foot out. Problem solved.
I Once grabbed the back of a saddle on a bicycle being ridden past me by a youth as he cycled though a pedestrian underpass which had clear signs that cycling was prohibited. As the bicycle stopped suddenly said youth slid forward off the saddle and landed heavily on the crossbar of the bicycle....... he got off and limped away in some discomfort afterwards.......

Last edited:
Over in WCMUT are posts about the decline in spelling and today another language-related issue came up and I found it really annoying. Has it come from the US ?

My wife and I went to a cafe today and sat at one of the outside tables. It was 12.10 so we just wanted a coffee each. Out comes the waitress..a very pleasant young lady ,about 18 years old, if that, who welcomed us with ''Hi guys'. We're both retired. I asked for two coffees. Then she asked if we were "eating today" I was very tempted to say.."yes, about 6.00pm" I didn't want to be sarcastic to her so just said 'no thanks' We got our coffees with an " enjoy". That also naffs me off.

We finished the coffees and asked to pay. A different young lady came over to the table and said "That's £6 today " Yes...lol..I was tempted to ask if that was more than yesterday or will it be cheaper tomorrow or just ask if the price varies from day to day. Of course, I didn't say that and as she gave us the change. (from a £10 note) she said "Thank you,have a nice day guys"

Ok..Yes, I'm old school. Re addressing us as 'guys'. As a youngster I had a few regular friends from about 5 years old right through to late teens and beyond and always addressed the parents as Mr or Mrs. It was Mrs and Mrs Whitby..Mr and Mrs Smith. These days some youngsters call their parents by their first names. If the customers are young people or even several 'guys' it's ok,I suppose but surely some flexibility should be exercised when serving obviously retired people. We're not doddery but clearly of pensionable age. We're old enough to be her grandparents.

Re "are you eating today ? " How about "Would you like me to bring the menu or lunch menu ?" Anything but "Are you eating today ?'

Last edited:
Plenty of people would say "Mr Insert-Namehere was my father." if addressed in that manner.

Over in WCMUT are posts about the decline in spelling and today another language-related issue came up and I found it really annoying. Has it come from the US ?

My wife and I went to a cafe today and sat at one of the outside tables. It was 12.10 so we just wanted a coffee each. Out comes the waitress..a very pleasant young lady ,about 18 years old, if that, who welcomed us with ''Hi guys'. We're both retired. I asked for two coffees. Then she asked if we were "eating today" I was very tempted to say.."yes, about 6.00pm" I didn't want to be sarcastic to her so just said 'no thanks' We got our coffees with an " enjoy". That also naffs me off.

We finished the coffees and asked to pay. A different young lady came over to the table and said "That's £6 today " Yes...lol..I was tempted to ask if that was more than yesterday or will it be cheaper tomorrow or just ask if the price varies from day to day. Of course, I didn't say that and as she gave us the change. (from a £10 note) she said "Thank you,have a nice day guys"

Ok..Yes, I'm old school. Re addressing us as 'guys'. As a youngster I had a few regular friends from about 5 years old right through to late teens and beyond and always addressed the parents as Mr or Mrs. It was Mrs and Mrs Whitby..Mr and Mrs Smith. These days some youngsters call their parents by their first names. If the customers are young people or even several 'guys' it's ok,I suppose but surely some flexibility should be exercised when serving obviously retired people. We're not doddery but clearly of pensionable age. We're old enough to be her grandparents.

Re "are you eating today ? " How about "Would you like me to bring the menu or lunch menu ?" Anything but "Are you eating today ?'

Completely understand what you mean I would find that annoying and condescending as well

Completely understand what you mean I would find that annoying and condescending as well
My old boss, who had previously run a very successful pub / restaurant, had an excellent response to that kind of thing: he would persist in calling the culprit "young man" or "young woman" until they got the message.

It seemed to work surprisingly well.

Last edited:
Getting the 4th Call from 'Bank Security ' re charges on my account !

It's only 11.13 now [ having made coffee a calmed down] and I got the first at 07.00 so it looks as if I'm going to be annoyed all day. Heaven help the first person that challenges me over something now .

Having to use my phone for important stuff. The NHS app isn't available for Windows so to get anything like a vaccination certificate, I have to use the phone to access the thing, save it to my phone memory then e-mail it to myself for printing.

I use the NHS app on my windows PC :thinking:

From the login screen...

Log in to your NHS account to access services online on your computer, tablet or mobile phone. You do not need to download anything.

• get your NHS COVID Pass
  • order repeat prescriptions
  • book and manage appointments
  • get health information and advice
  • view your health record securely
  • view your NHS number

Last edited:
The shape of things to come once Amazon owns everything.

I’ve just had an email:

We’re continuing to innovate for you, our neighbour.

More features are coming to Ring Protect Basic,
at a new price.

Starting on the 1st July, 2022, we’re expanding the features available for Ring Protect Basic to improve your Ring experience and give you even more peace of mind.

With these features, the price of Protect Basic will change from £24.99/year per device to £34.99/year per device.

(My bold)

So a nearly 50% increase which they call an innovation! The extra features are non-existen (extra storage and downloads which one doesn’t need) and an extra feature of 10% discount buying other stuff.

Talk about NewSpeak :mad: And this “neighbour’ stuff instead of customer or whatever is actually confusing and so somewhat deceitful.

The new features:

More features are coming
on the 1st July.​
Extended Video Storage icon
Extended Video Storage
You can store your Ring videos for up to 180 days. Video storage defaults to 30 days.1
Bulk Video Downloads icon
Bulk Video Downloads
Download up to 50 videos at once when you log in to your Ring account on Ring.com.
Exclusive Discount icon
Exclusive Discount
Save 10% on select Ring products at Ring.com.2

Last edited:

From the login screen...

Log in to your NHS account to access services online on your computer, tablet or mobile phone. You do not need to download anything.

• view your NHS number

Mrs WW had to do this the other day when taking a flight to Thailand. I persuaded her to download the documents and save them somewhere she could find them quickly when under pressure just in case there were connection problems at the airport and thankfully she did that and things went smoothly. We did see one woman lead away as after jabbing at her smartphone and talking loudly and upsettingly she couldn't produce here covid pass, don't know what happened to her.

The shape of things to come once Amazon owns everything.

I’ve just had an email:

We’re continuing to innovate for you, our neighbour.

More features are coming to Ring Protect Basic,
at a new price.

Starting on the 1st July, 2022, we’re expanding the features available for Ring Protect Basic to improve your Ring experience and give you even more peace of mind.

With these features, the price of Protect Basic will change from £24.99/year per device to £34.99/year per device.

(My bold)

So a nearly 50% increase which they call an innovation! The extra features are non-existen (extra storage and downloads which one doesn’t need) and an extra feature of 10% discount buying other stuff.

Talk about NewSpeak :mad: And this “neighbour’ stuff instead of customer or whatever is actually confusing and so somewhat deceitful.

The new features:...

On a sort of related note. I don't normally buy into conspiracy theories but... Covid and the great reset and the WHO and the harvesting of data and the idea of a digital currency do have me worried and I think the conspiracy theorist just might be right. If I/you/we don't agree with any of this I'm afraid it'll be tough cookies as if we vote one government out the next with be just as up for the new world order or even go harder for it.

I just had that email too Richard and it really pi**ed me off. :mad:

We all know prices have to go up, but that really is taking the pi**.

I've become really dependent on mine now and it really is a lifesaver for me, but I'm so tempted to tell them to shove it.

On a sort of related note. I don't normally buy into conspiracy theories but... Covid and the great reset and the WHO and the harvesting of data and the idea of a digital currency do have me worried and I think the conspiracy theorist just might be right. If I/you/we don't agree with any of this I'm afraid it'll be tough cookies as if we vote one government out the next with be just as up for the new world order or even go harder for it.

You don’t have to be a conspiracy theorist to think that Amazon wants to drive everyone else out of business and then control all pricing — it’s basically the aim of every large business. Th difference with Amazon is that it sells everything that you would normally buy on thecJigh Street.

I just had that email too Richard and it really pi**ed me off. :mad:

We all know prices have to go up, but that really is taking the pi**.

I've become really dependent on mine now and it really is a lifesaver for me, but I'm so tempted to tell them to shove it.

Unfortunately I broke mine a few months ago (don’t ask!) and after much pondering decided to replace it. Wish I hadn’t now.

Not sure where to post this without creating a new thread which isn't worth it,really but the general price of regular petrol is 173p/litre. On our way up here..Scotland..all the motorway service stations had it at 189.99p/lt .Here In Aberfeldy the Jet garage has it at 174.99/lt. That's a massive mark up by the motorway stations. Knowing this we filled up at Morrisons at home at 169.99/Lt. We'll fill up at that Jet garage before the next leg of our journey.

The small lettering point 99 is annoying,too.

all the motorway service stations had it at 189.99p/lt
Around here its 199.9 on the motorway.

The small lettering point 99 is annoying,too.
I never got that, I was always led to believe you can't sell anything, that you can't pay for in one unit.
You don't see spuds for example 15.5p per lb.
You used to and then the 1/2p was discontinued ... the rest is history.

From the login screen...

• view your NHS number

Where do you get the app though? I've searched the Microsoft App Store and nothing shows.

Ah! Not an app then!

Thanks for the link, I'll get it set up and in my favourites.

Parcelforce trying to deliver a package I expected on Monday because their website says no deliveries on today's or tomorrow's Bank holidays.

CCTV shows the driver throwing my £2k package into the back of his van.

What made me furious is a story about two young girls in Exeter attacked by a large gang of youths ranging in age (it's alleged) from 16 to 30.

If the perpetrators are arrested and if the police can jump through the hoops to get them into court, they're unlikely to get much more than a suspended sentence. :mad:

Apps are what used to be software rather than websites which are, well, websites!

I order prescriptions through a website rather than an app. There's probably loads of overlap between them and some apps are web based.

I order prescriptions through a website rather than an app. There's probably loads of overlap between them and some apps are web based.

All I know is, everyone I know, including my doctor, calls it the NHS app.

Web based app kind of makes sense to me.

Cheers.

I just call the pharmacy. We live in Edinburgh, so perhaps there's a difference in the Scottish and English systems?

Possibly.

I have a repeat 'scrip which comes as 2 bottles and when I start the second, I reorder using the SystmOnline website. They text me when it's ready for collection and I pick it up when I'm next passing the pharmacy (which tends to be on the way back from g*lf, which is quite handy!)

This seems to constantly irritate, annoy and baffle me...

People and possibly more often than not female who just can't seem to put their phones down and generally don't look where they're going and get in the way. When I see women with children this gets to me a bit as facebook seems more important than the kids, some are too distracted to see where they're going and some just stand in the way. One little incident today made me think what the... what looked like a mother and son at the supermarket blocking the section I wanted to be at, both stood fiddling with smartphones on what looked like social media. Why? Can't posting to Karen of Friendface wait until later?

An ex of mine was like this, just couldn't put the phone down.

Some definitions that might clarify things...
  • A web site is a collection of data files that are the input to an application called a "web server".
  • Often the data files are retreived from and manipulated by a seperate application called a "database manager".
  • The web server (typically) runs on a computer (confusingly, also referred to as a server) which is accessed, across a network connection, by an application called a browser, which runs on the user's machine.
  • The term "App" generally refers to a program running on a stand alone machine such as a laptop, tablet or smart phone.
  • Apps may manipulate data held in the device or they may use similar technology to browsers in order to send and receive data, via a network, from servers running programs similar to generalised web servers.
The question of whether you are using an "app" or a "website" is therefor irrelevant, unless you understand the subtleties of the terminology.

Using a computer on the train.JPG

Last edited:
So, by that definition, I use a website via an app (Edge)!

My tiny little mind sees an app as something I tap on an icon to access and a website as something that needs internet access.

So, by that definition, I use a website via an app (Edge)!

My tiny little mind sees an app as something I tap on an icon to access and a website as something that needs internet access.
That seems not a bad rule of thumb (though many apps require web access) but probably most don’t - just guessing.

Have to admit, while researching what my proper bike will be after using my current toy to get my skills back, that one design choice alone has put me off Triumph.

I may reconsider in due course.

Not something that bothered me either way TBH! Having said that, I'm not sure the Bonnie range would look right with plain throttle bodies, I know the Royal Enfield Bullet looks slightly odd with one.

Back