Water Drops 1st Attempt

I'd be happy with those for a first attempt. Think a plain background would help though (maybe just some coloured card).

I'd be happy with those for a first attempt. Think a plain background would help though (maybe just some coloured card).

Yeh know what your saying about the background, found it quite hard as wife put my cable for my off camera flash in that dreeded draw that only she knows where it is, so i end up using on on camera flash.

Ah the good old kitchen drawer, that has everything from dried up super glue, the crappy toys you get out of christmas crackers, a spare 13amp plug and half used birthday candles. But never the thing that you are actually looking for...

Good start mate, I did mine in the kitchen sink bowl, I tried to aim the drops towards the centre so I could crop out the bowl etc, I also shot slightly above rather than at eye level, I used a few piece of paper behind the bowl to bounce some light back from the on camera flash, oh and I did it in the dark.

Matt

mattd85 said:
Good start mate, I did mine in the kitchen sink bowl, I tried to aim the drops towards the centre so I could crop out the bowl etc, I also shot slightly above rather than at eye level, I used a few piece of paper behind the bowl to bounce some light back from the on camera flash, oh and I did it in the dark.

Matt

These were also done in the kitchen but not in the sink, did them on the side.

Really nice first tried... watch out they can get addictive! Really like the DoF in the second and the ball of water in the first.

Good first attempts, I had my first attempt the other day, I'm going out in a bit to see if I can get some stuff to try collisions :D

Edit: Oh look, you can see them in my flickr bar :)

Really nice first tried... watch out they can get addictive! Really like the DoF in the second and the ball of water in the first.

Cheers Matt, very adictive.....

Good first attempts, I had my first attempt the other day, I'm going out in a bit to see if I can get some stuff to try collisions :D

Edit: Oh look, you can see them in my flickr bar :)

let me know what you manage to get for the collisions.
Checked out your flickr, some very nice water drops.

had another bash today and managed to get a crown, not happy with the focus. but i will get better ones.

If you are using off camera flash try bouncing off a white background or thru a bit of frosted plastic. I started off with a £1.99 plastic tray from Wilko's behind the bowl and fired the flash thru it.
I know people rave over collision shots, but I do think a nice crown is still a great shot.
My focusing tip.
I use a 10mm socket (from a car socket set) that is just out of the water, and line up my drips thru the hole in the middle. You can then use the 10mm stamp on the side to focus on with live view, zoomed, if you have that on your camera. I focus on the front edge normally to bring the DOF forward a bit.

Bambi72 said:
If you are using off camera flash try bouncing off a white background or thru a bit of frosted plastic. I started off with a £1.99 plastic tray from Wilko's behind the bowl and fired the flash thru it.
I know people rave over collision shots, but I do think a nice crown is still a great shot.
My focusing tip.
I use a 10mm socket (from a car socket set) that is just out of the water, and line up my drips thru the hole in the middle. You can then use the 10mm stamp on the side to focus on with live view, zoomed, if you have that on your camera. I focus on the front edge normally to bring the DOF forward a bit.

Cheers Danny, that's a great tip.

Back