Water Rail

Edit My Images
No

Water Rail by ggwildlife, on Flickr

This was a freezing cold early morning and very low light, but the sun was rising and the channel was frozen over, so i wasnt expecting much, i was laying on the wooden bridge and couldnt believe it, I spotted the elusive water rail sneeking across the channel from one reed bed to the other, it was my only shot of the day, I framed it this way because i wanted to show the little trail of water left behind him as he skipped across the ice.

Works for me, just enough detail in the rail to show in the reflection.

It took 3 years to get on here and worth the wait...a stunner with good detail in the bird as well.
Can understand you want the trail in the water...have you thought of putting some canvas in the front and putting some of the orange into it.

Keith (y)

It took 3 years to get on here and worth the wait...a stunner with good detail in the bird as well.
Can understand you want the trail in the water...have you thought of putting some canvas in the front and putting some of the orange into it.

Keith (y)

Hi Keith and thank you, yes I did think about it, but i didnt want to centralise the water rail, also did not want to crop out any of the water trail because i thought it was important for me and the image to retain that as much as possible, so it was a bit of a compromise and i grew to like it. :)

Amazing shot and I would agree about the water trail adding to the image.

I really like this image and I have no issue with the composition. I think there's plenty of room remaining in front of the bird.

But, to me the exposure on the bird is just a bit off. There's enough detail there that it makes me want to be able to see more. I would bring up the bird a touch and knock back the reflection and trail a touch.

Alternatively, I might try a complete silhouette treatment but I don't think that would work as well.

Last edited:
So simple yet so powerful ... thats a stunner, its the beautiful colour that makes this shot, well done.

A fantastic shot, you deserve all the accolades from the previous posters. Viewing it larger in flickr is even better. Well done (y)

Steve

Last edited:
A lovely image there. (y)
I cant think why though, but it has a comical quality to it too :thinking:

You can be proud of that, superb timing.

Superb shot.. and yes I'm another who would have that on my wall.. was it shot at Rainham marshes by any chance? Just last week my brother managed to get a few shots of a water rail when out for his usual walk.

wow - as a beginner seeing photos like this spur me on to continue with photography!

Very lovely capture.

Beautiful colours, different style of composition which works a real treat. The exposure ont he bird could just do with a bit of tweaking though ;-)

Superb shot.. and yes I'm another who would have that on my wall.. was it shot at Rainham marshes by any chance? Just last week my brother managed to get a few shots of a water rail when out for his usual walk.

Hi Ian, thank you, no not at Rainham although one of my fave places, this was at London Wetlands Centre.

A wonderful shot and caught in unique light.Top marks to you for the trouble you went to lying on the bridge in freezing temps. too

Back