Wedding - Red bus, canal and Wilfie!

Name
Tom & Liam
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

So after putting another wedding up on here a week ago ( http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...rn-and-an-awesome-couple.557910/#post-6459635 ), thought we'd post one of our others that we never got round to sharing.

We really enjoy hearing peoples feedback (especially people who don't know us).

Here is Holly & Nathans full storyboard : http://kandlphotography.co.uk/weddings/holly-nathan/

They both live in Exeter but have family ties here in Stoke-on-Trent.

P.s - Wilfie is their really cute son!

Here are a few from the blog :

MWmtCPO.jpg

pEHlXps.jpg

NZJiJgw.jpg

ovsOw5G.jpg

nHtA7Yn.jpg

c9ViJL6.jpg

nWAQ71H.jpg

HM7h4S5.jpg

Last edited:
Just had a look at the blog, I think these are excellent, great vibrant colours and imaginative compositions and some fantastic moments. At first I thought you'd got the blog title wrong as I recognized the Upper House, but it just shows what can be done with a less visually appealing venue, shall we say!

Just had a look at the blog, I think these are excellent, great vibrant colours and imaginative compositions and some fantastic moments. At first I thought you'd got the blog title wrong as I recognized the Upper House, but it just shows what can be done with a less visually appealing venue, shall we say!

Thanks! Yes, I think anyone who knows that venue would be surprised....

In a way it was the reason that we felt the need to push the creativity up a notch on the day and we're really proud of the results. The Upper House was gorgeous, would love a booking there!

Another great blog there! Love the colours in the pictures, looks like it was a perfect day.

I love shot 7.. Was he praying it stayed dry?

Looking again maybe he's sneezed and that's why the veil is blowing forward? ;) hehe

Keep sharing :D

I think more should share their blogs on here, I find it really interesting looking at others work! Have a couple of new ones going live in the next 3-4 weeks - really excited about them!

#7 The dad was just a total joker! He was praying as if to say 'Thank god shes going!' :D

haha love it! That's the sort of stuff though that makes the pictures even better :)

Yeah I really should post some work on but then I chicken out...

Lovely set of pics again, same as the ones last week.

Being ultra picky, it's a shame that the shoes by the window don't line up with the bracket underneath.

And also in the end the y from holly was cut off by a head.

Other than that I enjoyed looking
And I like the dress in the Acer tree

Last edited:
Go for it! Just ha da look through Lyndsey & Robs blog at random from your site, its really good work! Perhaps too many photos to keep people interested, and I think there are some really nice key images that get a little diluted because of this - but I think we talked about that in a previous thread regarding formal shots etc.

Go for it! Just ha da look through Lyndsey & Robs blog at random from your site, its really good work! Perhaps too many photos to keep people interested, and I think there are some really nice key images that get a little diluted because of this - but I think we talked about that in a previous thread regarding formal shots etc.

Yeah the formals are my worst part of the day as the list always turns into more and more and then we get pressed for time. I only try to put 5 now onto the site from the formal shots as the couple know I've shot them so might expect to see some in the gallery at least.

There is a thread about the number of shots to put into blogs or galleries going on at the moment. I guess everyone has there view on what they want to throw in and the number you should look at. I think I get a little excited and start bumping photos in though haha I know it's not easy to say which ones you'd remove without them having numbers / file names but if you want to try I'll check them out :)

I guess it totally depends who the blog is for? We make it clear its for us to express our style on our own website, the photos the B&G may have in their album could be totally different. If its something that you offer to them as their own personal wedding gallery then its a totally different story and my comments are pretty much void!

If I was to be really picky...

I'd drop the ones where there are 2 or 3 of the same composition but just the bride and groom doing slightly different things - kissing, looking at camera, looking at each other.
Lose a few overall room photos, choose your favourite.
The couple shots are some of the most important shots when a couple view your page to see if they like you, move them all above the speeches and let the speeches flow into the night time.

Lovely set of pics again, same as the ones last week.

Being ultra picky, it's a shame that the shoes by the window don't line up with the bracket underneath.

And also in the end the y from holly was cut off by a head.

Other than that I enjoyed looking
And I like the dress in the Acer tree

Yeah the holly part was a little annoying. That dress show was pretty difficult but worth it, took it in a few other locations which I thought we equally as good but we went for that one in the end.

Some great shots in there and totally different to how I shoot things :)

I have experimented with the acres of neg space, the rooftops, the feet only, the prep silhouettes, the lack of posing, etc. and while I love them NONE of them ever go into the albums - I just don't attract that kind of B&G lol

Always a pleasure to see this style done well

Dave

Thanks a lot Dave, nice to hear such positive remarks only 12 months into our wedding photography :) I think this was our 8th wedding on our own.

That's the beauty of wedding photography for me, there are so many takes on it and no photographer will take the same photos of the whole day. Can certainly see your landscape influence in some of your website shots, really nice.

We said a very similar thing as you have just around 12-18 months ago on here and somebody said to me (I need to go back and thank them for this) 'Take the photos you want to take along with the photos the B&G are expecting, then only show off your preferred style with the blog. Eventually couples with the right style for you will start to enquire'. It was the best decision we ever made!

FWIW, ref the ones posted above ...

1 would have been a lot better IMO without the flare

2 sorry, but we'd have binned that one. It's a missed moment, and besides it's too fussy. Surely you'd have been better off planting yourself to the right of that window?

3 is so close to being a good 'un on account of those two in the background, but for me the woman faffing with the veil spoils it. We need to see more of her. In situations like this, are you shooting the schidt out of what's happening, or are you more of the "decisive moment" school?

4 is cool

5 to my way of thinking, you were in the wrong place on the wrong focal length for both

6 I'd rather see the same shot but from the front

7 well seen, but if it was mine, I'd kick myself for not framing it lower

8 very well caught, but we need to see either all of the girl on the left's face or none of it

9 & 10 meh ...

11 lovely, but I never think it looks right when a woman in a wedding dress puts her arm round her bloke's shoulder. That's what blokes do. Brides should put their arm round their fella's waist :cool:

12 crop that to portrait and it's an absolute cracker

13 sorry again, but I'd have binned that one too. She looks p***ed.

I took a quick look through the full works, and you have some very good stuff indeed on there. But you also have a lot of what I'd class as fillers, amongst which the belting good shots tend to get lost. I also noticed what seemed to be a lot of shots of backs?

It seems to me on the strength of this one that there's not much wrong with your picture-taking that won't just come with more experience (except perhaps some reluctance to "get in there" at times which you might need to work on?), but that at the moment, the weakest area is in the selection of pictures for your storyboard. I really do feel that you're not doing many of your snaps a favour.

Anyhow ... which is it - "decisive moment" or "shoot the s*** out of it"? :)

ETA - for 12 months in, it's bloody good. But my comments would apply just the same if you'd been doing it 12 years.

Last edited:
I like posts like this, gives me something to think about even if we don't agree so thanks.

FWIW, ref the ones posted above ...

1 would have been a lot better IMO without the flare
I like the flare.

2 sorry, but we'd have binned that one. It's a missed moment, and besides it's too fussy. Surely you'd have been better off planting yourself to the right of that window?
We had shots from the window too (in the storyboard) but I liked the perspective of getting a look from the outside of the hectic morning prep. It was a small room with 8 people in it plus one of us.

3 is so close to being a good 'un on account of those two in the background, but for me the woman faffing with the veil spoils it. We need to see more of her. In situations like this, are you shooting the schidt out of what's happening, or are you more of the "decisive moment" school?
There are a couple of shots moments before this one, I just loved the expression on this. Certainly don't just shoot for the sake of it.

4 is cool
Thanks

5 to my way of thinking, you were in the wrong place on the wrong focal length for both
This just happened and on the one on the right, I was trying to stay out of the way so that we could get shot #6

6 I'd rather see the same shot but from the front
See above

7 well seen, but if it was mine, I'd kick myself for not framing it lower
I am a sucker for unusual frames

8 very well caught, but we need to see either all of the girl on the left's face or none of it
Kind of agree with this. Not enough time to think as it happened so fast with them both laughing. Having tried cropping tighter it was either a case of, cutting through her shoulders or cutting some of his hand off. Decided the moment was more important than where the guest was cropped and went with it.

9 & 10 meh ...
10 is one of my favourites

11 lovely, but I never think it looks right when a woman in a wedding dress puts her arm round her bloke's shoulder. That's what blokes do. Brides should put their arm round their fella's waist :cool:
Agreed, however with shots like these we've asked them to just walk back to the venue as the photos are over. It's when they are at their most natural.

12 crop that to portrait and it's an absolute cracker
Thanks, I liked the texture of the brick

13 sorry again, but I'd have binned that one too. She looks p***ed.
Ha, to be fair this was them making their way to their seat for the start of a meal, shes a really fun character with lots of shouting and excitement and I thought this displayed Holly's character perfectly

I took a quick look through the full works, and you have some very good stuff indeed on there. But you also have a lot of what I'd class as fillers, amongst which the belting good shots tend to get lost. I also noticed what seemed to be a lot of shots of backs?

It seems to me on the strength of this one that there's not much wrong with your picture-taking that won't just come with more experience (except perhaps some reluctance to "get in there" at times which you might need to work on?), but that at the moment, the weakest area is in the selection of pictures for your storyboard. I really do feel that you're not doing many of your snaps a favour.

Anyhow ... which is it - "decisive moment" or "shoot the s*** out of it"? :)

I certainly don't think we are trigger happy. I have noticed us cutting down the number of shots as the weddings go by having said that. I'd agree on not getting in there enough, especially on the dancefloor. I do find we tend to like the storytelling aspect a lot, so 24-35mm room shots with lots going on. Interesting comments regarding the image selection, there are some fillers but we like to set the scene with the blogs and portray the whole story. So the blue sky shots, the venues, flowers , details that the bride has made especially.

ETA - for 12 months in, it's bloody good. But my comments would apply just the same if you'd been doing it 12 years.

Thank you, we can see a huge difference between now and our earlier stuff but the most important thing is that I feel as though we are progressing every time. To the point that this year every single wedding that we have done has instantly become our favourite, so I guess thats a good sign.

We have done a couple more storyboards since this wedding but I kind of feel like I'm taking over posting blogs every few days so don't want to bore people.

Thanks for your comments Sid, appreciate you taking the time.

Guys, I don't expect you to agree with anything I come up with by way of critique. AFAIC the idea is simply to give you something to think about for the next one.

Ref the flare, though, obviously it's fine by me that you like it, but one of the biggest improvements in our output came after I finally got over just posting what I liked on our blog, and started posting what I liked picked from what we thought the brides would like. Just sayin' ...

BTW, I for one wouldn't be bored by more of your work to check out.

Last edited:
Guys, I don't expect you to agree with anything I come up with by way of critique. AFAIC the idea is simply to give you something to think about for the next one.

Ref the flare, though, obviously it's fine by me that you like it, but one of the biggest improvements in our output came after I finally got over just posting what I liked on our blog, and started posting what I liked picked from what we thought the brides would like. Just sayin' ...

BTW, I for one wouldn't be bored by more of your work to check out.

It does just that, we usually just get people we know saying they love the work so i enjoy the critique for a change, I just felt after the effort you put in I'd offer my feeling towards each one too.

I may stick another up tomorrow then if I get chance. Just found out one of our weddings (the barn one I posted last week) will be featured in one of the wedding blogs (Boho) so that should add some potential audience from further afield.

On thinking about this, I hadn't actually appreciated the fact that on here, you're posting what you like, but I'm offering an opinion on those snaps as wedding photography. In future, I'll just comment on your storyboard.

Just while my coffee's cooling though, a few final observations. One is that shooting a lot of frames of a scene which is rapidly evolving is not in itself a sign of a lack of skill. In fact where weddings are concerned, it's usually the opposite. I take your point about both the bride's expression and her arm round his shoulder being natural for them, but only you, the couple and their friends know what. Any bride looking at those two shots will definitely see a woman who looks inelegant in one and pist in the other. And finally, room shots with lots going on are indeed a staple of a "storytelling" approach, but only if what's going on in the picture is both interesting and immediately apparent to somebody looking at the shot for the first time.

But as ever, any comment I make is just one opinion :)

Last edited:
Back