What are my rights - Currys, New PC

thank god for good old fashioned macs ,minor problems never big enough to become a crisis

Have you looked in your program list? I would recommend that you look into it when you get your machine or its replacement back. If anything happens in the future and you have no recovery information you could be well stuck
Will do.
I agree with Rich - it's easier to get the machine back from Currys and just install Windows 8.1 from scratch. The full retail version of 8.1 is around £84 - better to spend that than pay Currys £35 to sort out the update tangle (and still end up without the Windows DVDs).

It looks like the HP Envy doesn't have a DVD drive so you'd need to create an installation ISO file from the DVDs and put it onto a USB stick - like this:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/install-windows-8-usb.htm
Thanks for the link

There doesn't need to be anything wrong. You have 7 days to return it (potentially at your postage cost) for a refund even if you've just changed your mind. I'd threaten them with that and see if they budge.

Actually you have 14 days now, but, the laptop has been used so the return can legally be refused.

Can it? It's allowed to be used as long as it's in "as new" condition. Unless that change.

You can inspect the goods in such a way as you would in a shop. The fact that the OP has configured windows and downloaded updates would assume that the goods have been accepted and used.

I went and picked up the computer up this afternoon. I told the guy straight away I feel like I've been ripped off. I said I paid £750 for the computer then you want another 35 quid off me. I then said I was reading my legal rights last night and told him it doesn't matter if the fault is Microsoft or HP. I have my contract with you. I said I started asking questions online (didn't tell him where) and ranted a few bits I got off you guys. After my little display he said he wouldn't charge me.

At the moment I have a lovely new machine which is running as is should on Windows 8.1

Thanks all for the help :)

Result (y)

I didnt read anything but the first question and the last as that would appear its sorted, but from the first one? you bought online and had it delivered, distance selling regs, simple!

Not so simple when software and changes to the product are involved.

Especially as the Distance Selling Regulations have been repealed...

;)

That's a great result Dave, well done. (y)

...if I need to make a bit of a fuss in a shop, I make sure there are plenty of other customers within earshot too...:D

Its still a distance selling regs issue though despite you upgrading the software ie upgrading not wiping and changing the os etc

however when were the dsr's repealed???

June 2014.

;)

And absorbed into a new set of regulations called the Consumer Contracts Regulations

If they'd had any sense they would never have tried to charge £35 for it in the first place.
^agree. This is where customer service can make the difference between buying from one store and another or indeed thinking whether you'd buy from there again.

A good result. Enjoy the new machine (y)

I had this problem with the wife's laptop. Was something to do with the network settings but can't remeber what exactly.

Last time I bought a laptop ( the one I'm using now) I got it with no operating system and bought a Win 8 disc to install, that way I didn't have to spend time uninstalling all the crap that manufacturers seem to want to include and I can partition it as I see fit from the start.

That`s a good result Dave.Now format the thing and put win 7 on (y)

the updates between windows 8 and 8.1 are a nightmare, but once all done its fine, just dont resetyour pc as it goes right back to what was installed originally. if buying a new one, try and get win 8.1 preinstalled.

there is a recover disk that hides in a separte pation on the HDD, you can only get to it from the boot up screen normally F12 / F8 key, you can then restore the machine back to normal.

All machines come like this now, no need for discs that so 1990 :)

Last edited:
there is a recover disk that hides in a separte pation on the HDD, you can only get to it from the boot up screen normally F12 / F8 key, you can then restore the machine back to normal.

All machines come like this now, no need for discs that so 1990 :)

Until your hard drive fails.

And you've not created the discs yourself.

So you have to pony up for either a retail copy of windows or a set of discs from the manufacturers.

^agree. This is where customer service can make the difference between buying from one store and another or indeed thinking whether you'd buy from there again.

100% agree with this.

Well, guess what. All was ok for less that 24 hours. I went to bed, click shut down and it done some updates. When I turned it on a blue screen came up with error code #blah blah blah you're a Muppet.
Called tech support. 50 mins of remote access and they couldn't fix it.
They are collecting it tomorrow and refunding me. I will look for something else.
This has been nothing but a headache since it arrived Wednesday afternoon.

Will I buy a big purchase from Currys store again? Will I f...:muted: :muted:

HP, like many PC sellers, have a dedicated recovery partition with all software and drivers on to reload to factory default.

Just turn off the machine, turn back on and hit the F11 key repeatedly until the recovery menu starts up. You don't need any discs to do the restore, and being new, you would not have any data to lose. You would still have to complete the updates once recovery has completed though. Simples ;)

Will I buy a big purchase from Currys store again? Will I f...:muted: :muted:

seems a bit harsh to me with the implied bad language, you don't sound the most computer literate person and yes Currys probably could have handled the CS side better but its sounds a bit 6 of one half a dozen of the other to me.

you might be better off buying a Mac, they are not without problems but with the hardware being part of the OS experience updates are a lot less likely to have conflicts so you being a less experienced user might have a better experience.

seems a bit harsh to me with the implied bad language, you don't sound the most computer literate person and yes Currys probably could have handled the CS side better but its sounds a bit 6 of one half a dozen of the other to me.

you might be better off buying a Mac, they are not without problems but with the hardware being part of the OS experience updates are a lot less likely to have conflicts so you being a less experienced user might have a better experience.

Since I got it they have passed me from tech support on the phone, to the store. The store then wanted to charge me £55 for less than a day old machine. Ok, they brought it down to 35 but still wanted to charge me. The guy dealing with the return said the store shouldn't have done anything that they did. They should have swapped it or refunded me.

*6 of one half a dozen of the other to me*
I can't see how any of this is my fault. I done an the update (clicked on the update button) and the computer didn't like it? This is what started the problem. Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 on the machine wasn't having it.

Not so simple when software and changes to the product are involved.

;)

Its still a distance selling regs issue though despite you upgrading the software ie upgrading not wiping and changing the os etc

however when were the dsr's repealed???

They were replaced by The Directive on Consumer Rights. Link HERE Among other things this gives you 14 days from receipt of goods rather than the 7 in distance selling regulations.

Daverkl
If you're going to buy another PC consider Overclockers. Although regarded as more a gaming retailer, we have been buying office pc's off them for a good while now because even on a budget machine you get the ability to customise the machine to your spec. They get built to order too so you don't get something that's been sat on a shelf for several months. Also, if there is a problem you get to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about:)

Daverkl
If you're going to buy another PC consider Overclockers. Although regarded as more a gaming retailer, we have been buying office pc's off them for a good while now because even on a budget machine you get the ability to customise the machine to your spec. They get built to order too so you don't get something that's been sat on a shelf for several months. Also, if there is a problem you get to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about:)

Thank Ian. The reviews look good here, https://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.overclockers.co.uk
but look terrible here, http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Overclockers_co_uk

Actually you have 14 days now, but, the laptop has been used so the return can legally be refused.
thats incorrect
teh laptop has been tested and found not fit for purpose / faulty its just another tactic to say oh its been opened to you cant return it. thats total b****x from shops. in fact you dont even need recipt or original packing

if you get another win 8 machine your going to run into exact same problem with updates. look on dell outlet and you can pick up a top notch laptop at a reduced price ( mine had a replacement external power supply ) still coems with full warranty and they have some windows 7 machines.

they update every day so if nothing you see takes your fancy or is in your budget just look again every day around 2.30pm ( they normally update around 2pm
http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=7&c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh

excellent customer support from Dell too. mine was 6 monthns out of waranty when i had a fault ( it turned out to actually be a software one related to intel turbo boost ) but they still sent out an engineer to my home and replaced the motherboard and graphics card just to be sure and didnt charge me a penny.
i got an xps 1702 with 1 tb dual hard drives 8 gb ram 17.2 inch screen i7 processor and best of all an RGB LED screen upgrade.. should have been around £1300 cost me £420 all in with delivery .. had it over 2 years now and still runs great

if you get another win 8 machine your going to run into exact same problem with updates. look on dell outlet and you can pick up a top notch laptop at a reduced price ( mine had a replacement external power supply ) still coems with full warranty and they have some windows 7 machines.

they update every day so if nothing you see takes your fancy or is in your budget just look again every day around 2.30pm ( they normally update around 2pm
http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=7&c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh

excellent customer support from Dell too. mine was 6 monthns out of waranty when i had a fault ( it turned out to actually be a software one related to intel turbo boost ) but they still sent out an engineer to my home and replaced the motherboard and graphics card just to be sure and didnt charge me a penny.
i got an xps 1702 with 1 tb dual hard drives 8 gb ram 17.2 inch screen i7 processor and best of all an RGB LED screen upgrade.. should have been around £1300 cost me £420 all in with delivery .. had it over 2 years now and still runs great

Thanks for the link. I'll keep an eye out what they have over the week.

thats incorrect
teh laptop has been tested and found not fit for purpose / faulty its just another tactic to say oh its been opened to you cant return it. thats total b****x from shops. in fact you dont even need recipt or original packing

The 14 days is in relation to the consumer contracts regulations, which allows you to inspect the goods as you would in a shop. If you have opened it and started installing updates and come across a problem, this is not going to be covered under those regulations.

You are referring to the sale of goods act, which is entirely different.

thats incorrect

You're right on the packaging. But the vendor can insist on a proof of purchase.

Returning goods without a receipt
If you simply change your mind, the retailer has no legal obligation to give you you money back, should you return an item without a receipt. However, many stores will offer an exchange or credit note, so its always worth asking.

If your goods are faulty and you don't have the receipt, you still have the same rights to a repair, refund or replacement as under the Sale of Goods Act.

Returning goods without a receipt
If you simply change your mind, the retailer has no legal obligation to give you you money back, should you return an item without a receipt. However, many stores will offer an exchange or credit note, so its always worth asking.

If your goods are faulty and you don't have the receipt, you still have the same rights to a repair, refund or replacement as under the Sale of Goods Act.

I didn't say receipt, - proof of purchase. They're different.
The shop is entitled to request proof of purchase, but this doesn't necessarily have to be the shop receipt. You can use your credit or debit card statement or any other documentation that proves it was purchased in that particular shop or chain.
But if you can't provide anything, they can turn you away because, let's face it, without it, who's to say you actually bought if from them?

EDIT....That's not to say it's not worth asking if you have no proof though.

Back