What do you think of Instagram photos?....

RedRobin

Dances With Dogs
Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
I think that it's very easy to make photos look mirky and as if they were taken on a plastic toy camera! Too often Instagram = Instant Gimmick.

At the other end of the scale, some professional DSLR shots get so sharpened and Photoshop'd that they simply lose touch with all reality.

Of course both are valid but the art and skill is in recognising which version of any editing or post processing results in a satisfying image. I reckon that over 90% of Instagram images I see are yuk and barely 10% have the wow factor.

What are photographer's thoughts here? :cool:

I reckon that over 90% of Instagram images I see are yuk and barely 10% have the wow factor.

Well, that's a 5x higher hit rate than for the rest of images posted on the web.

When anyone can't see past the technique/technology when deciding whether or not they like an image, then I'm not sure they can say that they understand photography. An image either grabs you or it doesn't, and that has absolutely nothing to do with the equipment or the software used.

To misquote a well known phrase, "It's about the image, stupid."

I have people on my Instagram feed who are really good photographers and use it as an extension of their pro gear. They compose and do the same thought process as if they were using an SLR or any other camera. Some process with Instagram filters, some use VSCO cam then finalist in Instagram. The result is great photos limited only sometimes by the shortcomings of the iPhones camera (compared to larger sensor stuff). There's a baseball photographer released a book containing nothing but Instagram photos. It's superb.

Well, that's a 5x higher hit rate than for the rest of images posted on the web.

When anyone can't see past the technique/technology when deciding whether or not they like an image, then I'm not sure they can say that they understand photography. An image either grabs you or it doesn't, and that has absolutely nothing to do with the equipment or the software used.

To misquote a well known phrase, "It's about the image, stupid."

....The percentages I posted are not scientifically arrived at but are rather to communicate the point that the majority of Instagram shots seen on the hyperinterwebbynet are gimmicky and do not grab me.

I agree that having a wow factor and/or grabbing the viewer's attention is what they should do and that has nothing to do with equipment or software.

What prompts my post is recently seeing a number of Instagrams which the authors think are wonderful just because they are Instagrams.

I have people on my Instagram feed who are really good photographers and use it as an extension of their pro gear. They compose and do the same thought process as if they were using an SLR or any other camera. Some process with Instagram filters, some use VSCO cam then finalist in Instagram. The result is great photos limited only sometimes by the shortcomings of the iPhones camera (compared to larger sensor stuff). There's a baseball photographer released a book containing nothing but Instagram photos. It's superb.

....Which is why my signature says:

"The camera takes the photo, but the photographer makes it"

I agree that good photography always shines through. I suppose that I am responding negatively to poor photography claiming to be good because it's an Instagram. I think a lot of photos get ruined by it.

Last edited:
....The percentages I posted are not scientifically arrived at but are rather to communicate the point that the majority of Instagram shots seen on the hyperinterwebbynet are gimmicky and do not grab me.

A gimmicky statement then? ;)

What prompts my post is recently seeing a number of Instagrams which the authors think are wonderful just because they are Instagrams.

Nothing unique about Instagram in that respect. You see the same happening on Flickr, Facebook and even this very forum.

Of course, you're not now allowed to think this thread is anything special or wonderful just because you created it using the tool that is the TP forum.. .. :LOL:

A gimmicky statement then? ;)

....Touche! :D. Just a figure of speech really.

I think that to some extent I'm wrong in that I got carried away with my disdain of the Instagrams I saw this morning and I doubtless started this thread in reaction.

Basically, as posted here by others, it does of course depend on the individual photo whether an Instagram'd image delights or not. And then to further complicate matters not everyone likes the same pictures.

Thanks for keeping me honest, guys :cool:

I must say it does make a lass I work with look hot :) In real life she is pretty ropey but all her Instagramed photos she looks hot.

She is known as Photoshop for this ability, but sadly she is dumb too :)

I love instagram. It's not only a nice tool for getting 'creative' results without much hassle, but it's a great way to socially share what you see.

These days (especially for work) I tend to edit shots in LR and then post them up via my phone, utilising the defocus tool and the borders but having taken a shot using DSLR kit that wouldn't be possible with a phone.

I use it mainly for sharing family photos, most of my photos on there have little to none photographic merit, it's just to keep them away from Facebook. Nothing worse than a parent that posts their kids photos ten times a day. This is why I also have a blog, to spare my friends :D

No matter what makey up percentages or words of "wisdom" people use to sway opinion, end of the day, that's all it is. And mine is that Instagram can go jump . . .

Back