What Drone? (I mean it's the Mini Pro 4 isn't it?)

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I've previously owned a Mavic 2 Pro and currently still own a Mini 2. My biggest bugbear with both was probably the setup time and poor experience connecting my large phone to the (2 different) controllers, though the continued CAA faffery on >250g drones led me to sell the Mavic. I do have an A2 CofC, though haven't "used it" in a while. I'm thinking about getting a new drone to replace both.

Use case is mainly as an extra string to my landscape photography bow, and likely to go in my backpack if I'm out on my leccy mountain bike to add a bit of light video to any trips.

What are your recommendations? My suspicion is the answer will be the Mini 4 Pro (with the smart remote and fly more package). Else it'll be a Mini 3 cos it's cheaper, but not concerned about a Mini 4 price. But I thought I'd ask the question!!

There's a drone thread here:

I fully agree with your thinking on the Mini 4 Pro with the integrated screen on the controller. I have a Mavic 2 Pro as well but had dismissed the smart controller as it was too small a screen and too expensive but eventually I wanted to give it a go then managed to pick one up at good price. It's a huge improvement and while it doesn't seem like much to connect the phone and cable then detach it afterwards, it just feels so much quicker and less hassle setting up the drone then putting it away again as I take my drone while walking or cycling.

Last edited:
Re : Mavic 2 remote controller. An Ipad mini (5 or above) is excellent for controlling the drone, rather than any mobile phone.

I also have a Mavic 3 original and the same applies.

Dougie.

Thanks both

My last few phones have been Samsung Galaxy Notes or Ultras and in a case are too big to fit in the Mavic controller space (and getting them out of the case is just too much of a faff!) and the mini controller wasn't much easier to be fair - the USB connectors were always a bit flaky as well. Would have the same issue with a tablet I suspect. The Smart Controller is probably the game changer for me here. I do appreciate I could have used that with both the Mavic 2 and the Mini 2, but.... oh is that GAS...? :p I might at least try to sell the Mini 2 before I buy a replacement for once though!

I do have an A2 CofC
Is this still valid in the EU seeing that there are so many diverging changes? Or do you have to start over.

I too am thinking some form of mavic 3 vs mini 4 pro. Obviously mavic has somewhat better IQ (much better IQ?! but that's no good if you can't fly the damn thing where it actually matters

Mini3 Pro was ground breaking with quick set up and no need for phone which really is a right faff about I would hate to go back to.
The mini4 is notably better in low light and has longer flight time and stronger range due to external antennas.
It is hardly big enough upgrade to rush for if you already have the mini3 but no brainer to go for it now.

Back