What gear to take on a 'romantic getaway'?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I'm brand new to the forum so please be gentle!

A bit of background, I'm in the air force and currently serving overseas in Cyprus. In October, a female fiend of mine is returning from Afghanistan, and we're planning on a little getaway to the Isle of Skye in north west Scotland. I've (ashamedly) never been to Scotland so obviously am quite excited about the photographic prospects!

As I don't want to scare this young lady off with my obsession just yet, I've decided to only take 1 lens, which is where your help/advice/opinions come in, which one should I take?

5D MkII with

17-40 f/4
24-70 f/2.8
70-200 f/2.8

Your help/advice/opinions are appreciated

I think the 70-200 will give you the most options. Side note, you're the first person in history who's excited to leave Cyprus for Scotland. Just kidding. Have fun and make sure you post some results from your trip! :)

24-70; will cover you for just about anything from landscapes to portraits of your fiendish friend..

You going to risk a tripod? [not a euphemism!!]

oooh a female fiend! lol like the sound of that ;) I don't own any of your equipment but your hobby is nothing to be ashamed off! To be honest I doubt anyone would notice any difference between your 17 + 24 anyway, just the 70 being white? But If I had to take one I guess maybe the 24-70 (thinking the 17-55 on my crop would be what I'd do).

Rick

Welcome to Talk Photography. If it were me I would take the 24-70 mm. Skye is a wonderful place, I hope you get some decent weather.

Hang on a mo, your going on a 'romantic getaway' but you want to leave her while you go doing your photography hobby :shake::shake:

Yeah I forgot to mention I'm mostly into Landscape photography and would really love to do some wide shooting at 17mm... But the extra reach of the 24-70 could be the clincher...

Hahaha! I don't intend to leave her, but I do intend to only have my camera round my neck as opposed to lugging my whole kitbag around and stopping every 5 mins to change lenses!

Sorry m8 I know we all love to take Pics but young Lady on a romantic weekend sod the camera have a weekend off

Thought i'd stumbled on a dating site - as above ### the camera - have fun - introduce her to photography after (as appropriate)

Been there two years running amazing place 24-70 i'd say and make sure you take her to the three chimneys amazing food if not a bit pricey!! She'll be like putty in your hands!!

having seen images from the isle of skye, i say sod the girl, take the full kit and concentrate on getting some awesome landscapes!

I say take the 24-70 and use it sparingly. Imagine you are using film and take a few good pics rather than rattling off a lot.

Be very aware of non-verbal cues. If she seems to be getting annoyed or bored with shooting, ditch the camera for a while.

Maybe talk with her beforehand. Tell her you are a keen tog (not an obsessed one) and see how she reacts. She might be keen on taking some pics too.

Overall, don't ever get carried away shooting or looking for photo opportunities and forget the person with you.

The other answer to your opening question is - a toothbrush, shaver and a packet of condoms!

Oh, a difficult one. As a keen photographer you'll want to take shots and as a photographer who is keen on landscapes and has never been to Scotland or Skye before you won't want to put the camera down.

However, there is nothing worse, IMO, than trying to take photos with someone else (possibly a non photographer) around and, even more so, there is nothing worse than being the non-photographer waiting for the shots to be taken.

As already said you are going have to go carefully.

You could look on this trip as planning for another visit and so be prepared to back pedal on the photography a bit as you'll be visiting again, which after you have seen parts of western Scotland and Syke you will probably want to.

No harm in taking the midge repellent but you probably will not need it in October, but definitely the waterproofs; I've known rain for 23h on Skye.

Dave

My girlfriend still doesn't like sitting around whilst I take photos. Give up the idea of taking the slr, take a compact for some snaps and have fun!

If you don't have a compact buy something like a used Canon S95 on ebay and if you don't want to keep it after the trip, sell it on. If you buy carefully you will only lose out on the selling fees and postage.

I like photography but unless your partner is heavily into it too (mine isn't) it can seem quite a selfish hobby as while you're doing it you wont be giving the attention and showing the interest that your partner will expect. Your partner may say it's ok, but really your behaviour could be recognised and filed away.

Personally I'd leave the DSLR at home for now and instead I'd take a quality compact, something like an LX5, even if I had to buy one for the trip. I'd then explain to my partner that I like photography and would like to take a few snaps of the places we'll be visiting to remember this weekend together, a little sugary but vaguely true. I'd then limit my photography to just that, a few snaps, and I'd make sure I gave my attention to my partner. That's what I do anyway.

Unless there's something that your partner likes but you don't? If for example your partner went off for a mornings golf you'd be free to shoot some landscape.

Been there two years running amazing place 24-70 i'd say and make sure you take her to the three chimneys amazing food if not a bit pricey!! She'll be like putty in your hands!!

UM....very pricy and to be honest we don't think it's worth the money.....I'd respectfully suggest Loch Bay restaurant nearby, but book. Quite excellent for seafood, not nearly as pretentious and you'll be well looked after!!

Also ( depending on where you are staying) I'd suggest for landscapes, go ththe Quirang...dramatic especially in the mist.

The weather in Skye has been exceptionally dry this spring and summer, in fact we have had near drought conditions.

Hope you enjoy!!

George.

I would say leave the camera at home.

The Isle of Skye will always be there if you want to return with your camera but having served in the Forces myself I know that romantic getaways are few and far between when you serve overseas.

What to take on a romantic weekend away?

Has no-one mentioned rohypnol yet?!?

Seriously though I'd pack one body and your 24-70 and try not to let photography monopolise the trip, I can imagine how boring it must be waiting for a photographer to get the shot, my girlfriend is very patient but still I prefer to go out taking photos without her lest I bore her.

24-70 gets my vote too :) i think taking pictures is essential for capturing the romance of the weekend, or else it might become a faded memory unless it is captured in true dslr form! Ok well that would be my excuse! And it also means you wont get frustrated if you end up with the perfect scenery and weather but alas no camera! :)

just take the lot
she might enjoy taking pictures to

im going there for a week soon but im married and we both have cameras so will both be taking pictures :)

Edit: you will only be annoyed when you get there and decide you have picked the wrong lens
you dont even need to show them to her just keep them in your bag :)

Last edited:
My girlfriend still doesn't like sitting around whilst I take photos. Give up the idea of taking the slr, take a compact for some snaps and have fun!

Personally I'd leave the DSLR at home for now and instead I'd take a quality compact ..... ..... a few snaps, and I'd make sure I gave my attention to my partner.

+1 (or is it 2?)

Back