What is the matter with parents :(

Cobra are you trying to say I made up "BFLD which is KOALWITHFAW" lol :rolleyes:

Taken me a while but I reckon it's Big Fat Labrador Dog which is Kept On A Lead When I Take Him For A Walk.

I hate doing this, I really do.... I will never live it down..... but *deep breath* Chris is Right. There, I said it....

What size T-shirt do you and Chris want that printed on?! :D

I
I truly do not believe that you can compare dog behaviour in a domestic situation with wolf packs, and more then we can use chimpanzees to explain our own
ways.

Oh yes you can! The thing I vividly remember from my Etholgy lectures on primate groups is that most of the monkeys are reasonably comfortable with where they are in the group order and and only need to assert themselves or submit on rare occasions when something important happens.

The great exception is the penultimate monkey, one from the bottom of the order, who's painfully aware of their almost totally inferior status. They're observed to spend their entire waking hours bashing the one monkey below to assert themself!

It explains you and Cobra :p :naughty:

Taken me a while but I reckon it's Big Fat Labrador Dog which is Kept On A Lead When I Take Him For A Walk.
Of course it all makes perfect sense now :D
What size T-shirt do you and Chris want that printed on?! :D
FB should cover that for me Nod (y)

The great exception is the penultimate monkey, one from the bottom of the order, who's painfully aware of their almost totally inferior status. They're observed to spend their entire waking hours bashing the one monkey below to assert themself!
It explains you and Cobra :p :naughty:
All I can say is thank God you never mentioned the Bonobo :p

Ah! Pongo shagalotocus!

Thanks Marta, yes it was David l Mech , being away and only having access through my phone is difficult, definitely wasn't Cesar Milan, a lesson in how to get bit, for the record our dogs are working gundogs and would look a bit stupid with a tutu or a tux out beating, I still don't believe that I am pack leader at the end of the day I am human and they are most definitely dogs I interact with them and I provide for them easily , but they could manage without me, they work for us because there's something in it for them whether it be toy, treat or praise,

I won't change my mind or my view at the end of the day I live with a pack of dogs day in and day out, and it works for us

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Not sure who this Marta is Liz but I pointed to David Mech ;)

I used to live with many dogs but sadly circumstances at the moment dictate that it's not right time to have even one,
so I borrow them from time to time :)

I have to admit I was surprised that even gundogs now seem to be treat trained, something I would never have thought would
happen

Not sure who this Marta is Liz but I pointed to David Mech ;)

I used to live with many dogs but sadly circumstances at the moment dictate that it's not right time to have even one,
so I borrow them from time to time :)

I have to admit I was surprised that even gundogs now seem to be treat trained, something I would never have thought would
happen

Times are a changing, and have been for a while, people have realised that some of the old methods lead to shut down unresponsive dogs, I have one, the police etc have long since been using a ball as a reward for dogs working well, depends on the dog here, a couple will do anything for a ball, a couple are treat driven and a couple it's just good old fashioned praise .

In recent years I have seen people chucked off shoots for being heavy handed with the dogs not saying it doesn't happen, but it's much less than it used to be

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

I cannot understand why anyone would leave a baby/child with any dog, however much you think it will be fine, they are pack animals and act on instinct.

pack animals protect their young. If the boys (9&4) are out with us and marley and they wonder off in front, marley gets worried and barks at them to come back. How many people have babies and dogs and how many deaths occur?

My sister has owned a Malamute (the breed involved in this latest tragic incident) for the last 3 years or so.

We've always been a family of dog owners and pride ourselves on the temperament of the dogs we've had.

However, when my sister started expressing an interest in purchasing a Malamute the local breeders (to there great credit) were completely honest about the type of dog that they are. In order to ensure that the dog became a great family pet the whole family had to show it that it was at the bottom of the pecking order. This had to be done over a period of time through various methods but it was absolutely vital that it had to know its place right from the start. It's now a fantastic family pet.

A Malamutes pack mentality is deeply ingrained. The distance from it's wild/semi domesticated past is very much shorter than your average Retriever or Labrador and this needs to be taken into account before you commit to accepting one into your family.

Regardless of how well integrated the Malamute in the news story was previously, to introduce another pack member, in this instance in the form of a baby, would have had a significant affect on the dog.

I can't begin to imagine how the parents are feeling at the moment and my heart goes out to them but you can see how this dreadful incident could have come about.
Yes. The Malamute is a leader, not a follower. They are not a breed suitable for weak, novice owners who think that they can be treated as another human.

And the same goes for many other breeds too; Any type of Husky, Rottweiler, Akita, Pit Bull - all of these breeds are potentially very dangerous because they have all been bred for a specific purpose that involves standing their ground and being aggressive.

Gundogs are generally the LEAST likely to be dominant, but the male Weimerana can be extremely difficult.

Most people probably think that Border Collies are the ideal family dog, but these are the people who have never actually seen one at work - how many people actually know what's in the dog's mind when it herds sheep? How many people realise just how tough and courageous the Border Collie needs to be when controlling tups, cattle and especially pigs? And what the hell do people think that Jack Russell's were bred for?

At the end of the day, my personal view is that until people wake up to the fact that every dog has been bred for a purpose, and stop getting a dog just because it looks pretty or costs a lot of money, aggressive, dominant dogs will continue to cause these problems. And I also feel strongly that the basic cause of these problems is largely down to the breeders, and standing behind them, The Kennel Club, because most of them are far more concerned with appearance than with character, personality and good health. Many years ago, when I trained problem dogs, I was called out to a Rottweiler that was aggressive. As soon as I walked through the door the problem was obvious - it was in so much pain, due to poor breeding, that it couldn't allow itself to be touched.

Last edited:
Back