What is this and how did they do it?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Our local school have updated their website and the intro page with the first six images looks very very clever :

the young lad with the guitar
the performing arts girl
the scientist
the batsman
The fencers
The girl toasting the marshmallows

What is this called, how did they do it and what did they use to create this effect?

http://www.tettenhallcollege.co.uk/

Last edited:
There's a name for that.. can't remember what it is...

Whoops - forgot to hit enter and you all beat me to it.

That is a massive block of data in that source code. Could be a PITA if it needed editing

There's a whole lot of style info at the top, why on earth its there and not in a separate file I don't know. I think the image effect is cool, though.

Nothing much more than a bit of javascript jquery to use the video background which is indeed streaming from vimeo, on which they overlayed a whole bunch of other images with the ken burns effect still as a background.Then they've used more javascript for the carousel to load their stories, and more javascript to scroll in a parallel fashion and get the footer into view. Looks nice, stupidly heavy page load and an accessibility nightmare for anyone requiring assistive technologies.

But granted it looks very pretty.

It's called 2.5d animation, same effect that Sky used to use in their ads right? They are nicely done on the site you found.

Whoever did the stills obviously planned it to be 2.5d from the start - otherwise they wouldn't have had the necessary complete background shots, e.g. cricket field without the batsman, hallway without the fencers, etc.

Back