What lens(es) for downhill mtb?

chris321

I like the ginger one
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Simple question really! I've never shot it before, but some friends of mine are competing in a place I can neither spell nor pronounce (but it's about 30 miles south of Edinburgh and starts with an 'I') next weekend.

Obviously I'll get a good idea when I actually get there, but I don't want to be lugging unnecessary stuff around. If anyone knows the course/area it would be particularly useful.

I'm thinking of taking an ultra-wide, 28-75 f/2.8, and 135mm f/2, and was mainly wondering if I'll need anything longer? I could take a 120-300 f/2.8 as well, but it's a lot to lug around, and I'm thinking may be too long to use in a close, woodland type place?

As you can probably tell, I haven't really got a clue, any advice greatly appreciated :)

Chris

Just looked it up, and it's at 'Innerleithen', if that helps (I was posting on my phone yesterday, so couldn't find out) :help: (y)

Chris

Used to do a lot of this - I was race photographer for Bike Magic for a couple of seasons until they realised they could get somebody to do it for free.... I did Innerleithen once. To make it more interesting the web site insisted on landscape format shots and no culling or editing (they took the card at the end of the day).

Weapon of choice was 24-120 or 18-55 lens on a crop camera. Though to be fair I came close to serious injury a couple of times.

DSC_8287.jpg

DSC_0698.jpg

Bikes_2.jpg

Cheers for that Jonathan, it's kind of what I thought, I've been looking around and hadn't seen many that were shot on a ~300mm ish lens!

I've attempted to take pictures of DH biking at Innerleithen a couple of times as I live just down the road. Keep in mind that, unlike in the photo's posted above, you'll be in amongst trees and it will be fairly dark. I used a 50 f1.8 to get faster shutter speeds, so an f2.8 would be a good option.
Have a look at http://www.phunkt.com/home.html for some inspiration, he's got shots from innerleithen in his gallery page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBDj-t6OVQg

Link to one of the several DH runs at Innerleithen. I've ridden a few of them (slowly!) and they are mostly under tree cover so you may struggle for light.

worth trying to find out which of the courses they are using and look through some videos on you tube for the jumps / well lit spots so you have an idea of where you want to be on race day.

Argh, I'm so torn! I want to be taking as little as possible really, as I'll be lugging it through trees and up hills, I just can't decide though. I'll definitely be taking a flash, having seen the conditions, but I don't think I'd feel confident enough to be thinking about setting up off-camera (maybe when I go out with just my friends, rather than a big competition!). I'll probably have a 50mm f/1.8 in my pocket too, just in case!

Saturday is the practice day, so I'm hoping to have a walk around when the riders are also scoping out their lines, see where's good etc!

Ah up at Inners, I've rode there a few times,

I ride/race downhill a hell of a lot but I don't ever shoot it, I try and keep the two separate, all I can say is a flash is almost a necessity in the wooded sections.

I've started to do quite alot of downhill events in South Wales.

Have a look at my zenfolio link, mainly use a 50mm f1.4, 28mm f1.8 , 85mm and the same 135f2.

Flash - off camera , is the key - I wouldn't lug the 120-300 around if it was me ( I've got a Sigma 100 - 300, but never take it for downhill.

Fast lens and get in close, use flash.

For full frame the 70-200 F2.8 is the best lens I've come across in close quarters (1.5m plus) On a crop sensor use the 24-70 F2.8 or if you can use both at the same time (y)

Argh, take the 120-300, don't take the 120-300, can you lot make up your mind please :D

At the moment I'm leaning towards not taking it... It would mean taking another bag, and I'd like to get some sort of protection for it before using it in anger in a muddy, gravelly, dusty environment.

I've also got a TC for extra length, so I think I'll spend the Saturday scouting locations, and go from there....

Maybe :thinking:.....

Honestly the 120-300 will be pretty pointless at inners. You will be close to the track pretty much all the time, and definitely not far enough away to have the 120-300 prove itself particularly useful. If it's not too much bother taking it, then sure. But if it means an extra bag and more fuss etc... I'd leave it at home, you won't miss it.

Argh, take the 120-300, don't take the 120-300, can you lot make up your mind please :D

I think people suggesting taking it may be confusing it with a lens that doesn't weight 2.6 kilos. I used to get my car as close as I could using fire roads then hike up to 2 miles to get to the best spots (this was endurance racing rather than true downhill - but there were lots of downhill bits).

If it's downhill through trees then you can get very close indeed. Just make sure that if it all goes wrong that the tree will take the impact not you.

Honestly the 120-300 will be pretty pointless at inners. You will be close to the track pretty much all the time

Right, decided then, I'll leave the 120-300 at home, which means I can take a shoulder bag rather than my rucksack, which makes me happy :)

I think people suggesting taking it may be confusing it with a lens that doesn't weight 2.6 kilos.

I like this comment, made me smile (y) :LOL:

If it's downhill through trees then you can get very close indeed. Just make sure that if it all goes wrong that the tree will take the impact not you.

My own safety will be my top concern! Nice shots will be a bonus, but surviving is a must :D

Back