What`s it all about?

What is your main reason for posting your bird shots

• Because I think they are brilliant and nothing else really matters.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Because I was posting them on Facebook,and nobody would even leave me a comment on them.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Once again I see people getting a bit upset over any C&C.Please do not give me the "It`s the way it is put across" excuse, cos I do not buy it, have we really turned into being that soft? It is not just in this section either that I see honest and straight to the point C&C given out,yet this section seems to produce the biggest lot of whingers I have ever had the pleasure to come across. So for everybody in this section,how about being honest with yourself and others and tell us why it is exactly you post your bird images up,I for one am curious to know.Please note this is not aimed at any one particular person.Hopefully the Mods will leave this pinned so we can keep an eye on the results.

You forgot asking for IDs :p

Personally if I post them then it's just to share them and if I'm lucky I get a little ego boost lol :)

Rich

None of the above really

I post them because I am interested in nature and I would like to promote that interest to others as much as I can, (boringly for some I post many bird images on another general forum that does not have a bird or wildlife section).. I think that the more other people can appreciate birds, (and other wildlife), the more they will support their protection and their environment. Also I am interested in the technical ability that modern equipment has to produce such accurate and quality images.

When my friends or family say, "that’s a good image Bill", I usually say that it’s not unusual as the digital revolution and equipment has made it possible for so many people to enjoy photography and produce really good images. It has democratised photography. Just look at what is posted on Flickr and bird forums…….. amazing images!

For me the recording of a good digital bird image is also part of the process of bird watching and recording the memory, and posting it on here is sharing and being involved with others who appreciate the hobby.

So I cannot tick any of your boxes, Rich, even though I am generally happy with crit and have learned so much from the Bird section.

Last edited:
Currently doing a wedding job, but I think it is a good subject with reasonable questions being asked.
will answer tomorrow Rich.

While its always good to share a picture that your happy with and to receive some accolades, I am more content to receive constructive criticism that helps me to improve. I learned a huge amount when I first joined TP, this was from a few very experienced members who knew what they were talking about, and were prepared to help and share their expertise, this also made for a pleasant social atmosphere. Sadly, many of those members have become disillusioned with TP and are no longer active on here, but that's been discussed many times before.

To sum up, in the early days of TP, posting an image would most times bring a lot of helpful advice, and that I feel was the main reason for posting. Now, it seems more like an ego massaging attempt (having said that, see my next, and first post for ages lol), and if unsuccessful, the dummy goes flying out of the cot.
Rich, perhaps you should ad "none of the above" to your voting options... the last option is nearest to the reason I used to post.

Rich

None of the above really

I post them because I am interested in nature and I would like to promote that interest to others as much as I can, (boringly for some I post many bird images on another general forum that does not have a bird or wildlife section).. I think that the more other people can appreciate birds, (and other wildlife), the more they will support their protection and their environment. Also I am interested in the technical ability that modern equipment has to produce such accurate and quality images.

When my friends or family say, "that’s a good image Bill", I usually say that it’s not unusual as the digital revolution and equipment has made it possible for so many people to enjoy photography and produce really good images. It has democratised photography. Just look at what is posted on Flickr and bird forums…….. amazing images!

For me the recording of a good digital bird image is also part of the process of bird watching and recording the memory, and posting it on here is sharing and being involved with others who appreciate the hobby.

So I cannot tick any of your boxes, Rich, even though I am generally happy with crit and have learned so much from the Bird section.

I suppose I should have added "Other" in the options Bill,but like yourself it would also be nice if people reply it comes with a little bit more of an explanation.True there are some very good images out there on Flickr,as there is on Facebook, if somebody is not that pleased with any C&C that has been given they really do need to ask themselves what the main reason is they post their images up for all to see is.Once you come to terms with the answer as an individual,you will then be able to come to terms with any C&C that has been given. I seen a thread in one of the other sections recently,but cannot find it at this moment in time. A member had posted something up and another long established member came straight in saying how bad it was.He was right in what he said but in this instance it was the fact that he never followed it with any suggestions on how to improve, that to me is wrong.But in the case of this latest little upset in the bird section,advice was given, valuable advice at that if you ask me.Advice which is totaly free,you do not have to go searching for it,post up your picture and if you have chosen the right reason for posting your pictures in a section that is dedicated to giving honest critique,then you will accept that advice.You will go away and put that advice into practice,you will come back again with another picture,on the strength of how well you have done to improve yourself you will be rewarded with compliments,compliments that will make you feel better about yourself.If you get complimented for improving certain parts of that picture but at the same time get some more negative comments.You do it all over again untill such times as you actually have a good idea about what you are doing.

As I make and sell Gimbals ( I cant say my trading name here ) I think its fair to my customers that I should post images taken using them in a few forums .

I think my shots are quite good overall but im always ready to learn more .

Rob.

I post bird images on TP in order to gain feedback on the technical quality and composition of the image.
I appreciate constructive feedback, and try to avoid the "Nice shot mate / cliquey / chummy " relationships that some posters engage in. In return, I try to give detailed reasons in response to other posts that I reply to. I dislike the unanswered posts where individuals do not have the courtesy to respond to feedback.
This forum suffers from the quick / ill-considered responses that are prevalent in social media these days, and nothing will change that. As a member of this forum for more than 3 years I too have noted the decline in quality and number of responses to posts, and the departure of some very talented photographers.
We have been around-and-around this subject before. The old hands will know that. But memories are short, new members arrive, and the problem will flare up again I am sure.
So remain committed to TP folks! I will, despite all its shortcomings!
It's still a great forum to be enjoyed :)

I don't post on here any more as I've become totally disillusioned with the attitude of some members who have absolutely no interest in helping.

I accept that there are many members who are birders first, photographers second, and they are happy to comment on the subject rather tan the actual quality of the shot. That's fine if that's your interest but this should be primarily a photographic based forum - very rare will somebody talk about light, or angles of shooting. So, for me we should be looking at how that has come about.

I'd say it's generally accepted that most of the longer standing members are in agreement that the forum has lost a lot of experienced members, and that is a bad thing. I occasionally bump into some of these members, and am also a member on another very critical site where politeness rules despite the critique being nit picking in the extreme, Far far more than this site. Several of these former participants from here also go on the other site, so I've spoken to them there and asked why they no longer come here.

To a man, each person has complained about the attitude of a select few here, and the fact complaints about them go un addressed. Mods answer RTMs and agree, but due to a lack of action the problem continues, so what we have left if the sarcastic few over the well mannered photographers.

I find it particularly interesting that this thread had appeared at the same time as the Robin thread on the front page at time of this post. On there a crit is offered by BRASH. The crit is correct in what it states, and with all walks of life you either like or dislike the style it is written in. That's life, get over it or move on.

However, the bit that caught my eye on that thread was the comment by NeilB and subsequently 'liked' by Fracster. Blatantly a sarcastic post and a 'like' by a member who should know better. So, in the interests of giving these members a chance to reply - @NeilB and @ Fracster why did you feel the need to reply in that manner? Fracster recently started a thread about what is wrong with this place, and NeilB recently served a suspension over comments made so why did you feel the need for this?

It's a real shame its come to this as I've really enjoyed the advice given to me, and also watching other members develop when they have taken advice on board, but while poor attitude is an accepted part of this forum, the quality of crit and help will only go down.

Mike

There are ways of giving your opinions in a calm and polite manor. there are however people on this forum that would not understand this if it came up and bit them in the Ass..:beer:

I think part of the problem is that a lot of folk are used to the 'likes' or whatever from Facetwitflickr, and receiving anything remotely critical spoils their party, you then get into the 'forum wars' others get disillusioned after giving what they felt was helpful criticism. The problem when giving critique is in a lot of cases you have no idea of the person's experience, and whilst you could be harsh with someone you may know well from the forum and their previous posts, that approach doesn't sit well or encourage a 'newbie'. Always tricky on a forum to show emotion so things can and do get misread. If a shot isn't so good as well as the slating it try and find something to encourage the shooter, would be my approach.

If a shot isn't so good as well as the slating it try and find something to encourage the shooter, would be my approach.

Like I said Ken,in the actual thread of Jeffs he has explained this is how he wanted the shot.Ok fair enough but at least give people a clue to start with. It has been said time and time again by members and Mods alike,the bird section is for critique, do not expect anything else in any shape or form, stick it in photo`s for pleasure.Simples!!

I don't post on here any more as I've become totally disillusioned with the attitude of some members who have absolutely no interest in helping.

It's a real shame its come to this as I've really enjoyed the advice given to me, and also watching other members develop when they have taken advice on board, but while poor attitude is an accepted part of this forum, the quality of crit and help will only go down.

Mike

110% agree with these points made, same reason I don't put images on here anymore and hardly post at all

Reactions: den

I accept that there are many members who are birders first, photographers second, and they are happy to comment on the subject rather tan the actual quality of the shot. That's fine if that's your interest but this should be primarily a photographic based forum - very rare will somebody talk about light, or angles of shooting. So, for me we should be looking at how that has come about.

I'd say it's generally accepted that most of the longer standing members are in agreement that the forum has lost a lot of experienced members, and that is a bad thing. I occasionally bump into some of these members, and am also a member on another very critical site where politeness rules despite the critique being nit picking in the extreme, Far far more than this site. Several of these former participants from here also go on the other site, so I've spoken to them there and asked why they no longer come here.

To a man, each person has complained about the attitude of a select few here, and the fact complaints about them go un addressed. Mods answer RTMs and agree, but due to a lack of action the problem continues, so what we have left if the sarcastic few over the well mannered photographers.

I find it particularly interesting that this thread had appeared at the same time as the Robin thread on the front page at time of this post. On there a crit is offered by BRASH. The crit is correct in what it states, and with all walks of life you either like or dislike the style it is written in. That's life, get over it or move on.

However, the bit that caught my eye on that thread was the comment by NeilB and subsequently 'liked' by Fracster. Blatantly a sarcastic post and a 'like' by a member who should know better. So, in the interests of giving these members a chance to reply - @NeilB and @ Fracster why did you feel the need to reply in that manner? Fracster recently started a thread about what is wrong with this place, and NeilB recently served a suspension over comments made so why did you feel the need for this?

Mike
This comment and response to the post in my opinion is absolutely bang on...

Mike

I'm just off to church so don't have time to reply right now, i'll say a little prayer for you whilst i'm there (y)

@pooley

Because I thought Neils post lifted the sombre mood a little,albeit with a touch of sarcasm, I found it quite amusing. If that offends,so be it, that is my sense of humour.

@pooley

Because I thought Neils post lifted the sombre mood a little,albeit with a touch of sarcasm, I found it quite amusing. If that offends,so be it, that is my sense of humour.

Doesn't offend me in the slightest Ade, off forum when I'm talking to people face to face my sense of humour is probably best described as 'brutal'. However, coming from someone who recently started the 'How to sort the problems' thread I thought that liking a sarcastic comment was in poor taste at best.

Giving some of your friends a healthy dose of banter in their threads is all well and good, but that was just a sly dig and is the type of comment that has seen many members decide its happened once too often and leave to pastures new, which in turn leads to the levels of crit we are now seeing here.

Last edited:
Maybe the 'Bird' Section could go under 'Sport', or 'Motorsport', or even 'Architecture & Urban' ... there's rarely ever any trouble there so it must be a people thing peculiar to twitchers/bird togs and maybe something would rub off to their advantage?
Maybe 'bird people' are basically anti-social or isolated from people, in their hides, and don't know how to interact with others?
Whatever, people here need to get a grip and start treating others with a bit of respect, manners and common decency.

ive just read the thread in question. Brash was spot on, there needs to be some perspective sometimes, and its been delivered there in a blunt but correct fashion. I see nothing wrong on this occasion with what Neil wrote, it made me chuckle

The general issue that I see is forum wide, and it can be broken down like this:

Too many people wanting praise but not capable or willing to accept comments that dont follow the broad line of 'nice shot'
Too many people with paper-thin skin
Too many people who are here purely for self-promotion, either for their own ego or for their own websites/blogs/ventures
Too many people with no sense of humour

I dont like the way that some of birders have conducted their affairs on the forum, and the point has been put across that it isnt acceptable to troll or to make themselves a target for trolling deliberately, some folk in this thread are guilty as charged and they know it, however people like Brash and Fracster give good, honest and indepth critique, they dont have forums to pimp or other self-serving interests, they do it because they want to help others. That is the whole point of the forum, isnt it?

ive just read the thread in question. Brash was spot on, there needs to be some perspective sometimes, and its been delivered there in a blunt but correct fashion. I see nothing wrong on this occasion with what Neil wrote, it made me chuckle

The general issue that I see is forum wide, and it can be broken down like this:

Too many people wanting praise but not capable or willing to accept comments that dont follow the broad line of 'nice shot'
Too many people with paper-thin skin
Too many people who are here purely for self-promotion, either for their own ego or for their own websites/blogs/ventures
Too many people with no sense of humour

I dont like the way that some of birders have conducted their affairs on the forum, and the point has been put across that it isnt acceptable to troll or to make themselves a target for trolling deliberately, some folk in this thread are guilty as charged and they know it, however people like Brash and Fracster give good, honest and indepth critique, they dont have forums to pimp or other self-serving interests, they do it because they want to help others. That is the whole point of the forum, isnt it?

Matt, I honestly can't believe that as an admin on here you think sarcasm is an acceptable way of communicating. Still, if thats the way you believe things should be done, then its pretty obvious why this section has gone down the pan. Maybe its time to change the 'friendliest forum' tag to something more like 'welcome to our playground, belittling encouraged'

I have stayed out of it till now but that was to allow me to form my own opinion and to be honest I think some people need to man up a bit and get past the feeling hurt that someone has put crit on their pic. Brash is straight and to the point and some won't like it but then others hate the softly softly approach which never seems to make the point. We all get annoyed at times the way things are put across but if you read Brash's comments they were helpful-well they are if you come with an open mind and are prepared to accept crit. Take away that bloody" Like" button as its to easy to hit and say nothing in response and I for one do it but would be more inclined to give a proper response should it not be there. I would say that Matt has got it pretty much spot on with his comments- like it or not. If you don't like the way your given feedback or crit then it's been said 100 times- block the person- simple.

Matt, I honestly can't believe that as an admin on here you think sarcasm is an acceptable way of communicating. Still, if thats the way you believe things should be done, then its pretty obvious why this section has gone down the pan. Maybe its time to change the 'friendliest forum' tag to something more like 'welcome to our playground, belittling encouraged'

Sarcasm has its place but I think Neil was actually being ironic?

This section has gone down the pan because of people not accepting critique from others and then stirring up trouble.
Perhaps if a few of the so-called experts who cleared off spent less time blowing smoke up people's arses and been a bit more direct then maybe it wouldn't have gone that way. I believe that people need to get the facts sometimes, and as long as it isn't outright rude then it's all fine. Remember that you don't see everything that gets edited or deleted.
Yes sometimes people overstep the mark but we look at every report in a balanced fashion. The mod room isn't littered with copies of the daily mail, we're realists so sometimes a bit of sarcasm or deserved rudeness, or God forbid even the odd joke, gets through.

There are many sections to these forums, this is the only one to have this problem raise its head time again, yet brash and fracster and Neil post in other sections as well, I think that says a lot, perhaps the users of this section need to try and understand what the problem is rather than blame the mods and admin.

Sarcasm has its place but I think Neil was actually being ironic?

This section has gone down the pan because of people not accepting critique from others and then stirring up trouble.
Perhaps if a few of the so-called experts who cleared off spent less time blowing smoke up people's arses and been a bit more direct then maybe it wouldn't have gone that way. I believe that people need to get the facts sometimes, and as long as it isn't outright rude then it's all fine. Remember that you don't see everything that gets edited or deleted.
Yes sometimes people overstep the mark but we look at every report in a balanced fashion. The mod room isn't littered with copies of the daily mail, we're realists so sometimes a bit of sarcasm or deserved rudeness, or God forbid even the odd joke, gets through.

Unbelievable. A member who recently served a ban for his posting style continues with this style and you think thats acceptable. I honestly can't get my head around that one. I asked him directly to explain his reason - more sarcasm. Can't say I blame him with the complete lack of action taken.

People have not buggered off from here because they can't accept criticism - not the ones who take this hobby at least semi-seriously anyway. I know that because I've spoken to a few of them. They left due to the back biting and trolling which mods are always 'aware of and looking at doing something about'.

There are many sections to these forums, this is the only one to have this problem raise its head time again, yet brash and fractured and Neil post in other sections as well, I think that says a lot, perhaps the users of this section need to try and understand what the problem is rather than blame the mods and admin.

I'm sorry but thats a major cop out. Is the 'job' of mods and admin not to put a stop to trolling and downright rudeness? Yes members have to take responsibility for themselves, but just like children, if you don't clamp down on these behaviours, then look at what you end up with.

Believe it or not, I don't personally get offended at comments made by anonymous members of an online forum, but watching a potentially excellent source of information slide downhill the way this place has been allowed to do (despite numerous members raising concerns over a select few) is sad

I still cannot figure out if Jeff's Robin was Jeff's Robin ……. or why Jeff cancelled it …….. I thought it was his Robin but as a starter his composition was poor ………..

To be honest Rich i think your facebook one is the wrong way round, peeps get likes from friends and family on fb and/or flickr and they expect to here as well, the downside being is most on fb aren't photographers so they don't see things that folk here would pick up on so then war is declared:D;)

I still cannot figure out if Jeff's Robin was Jeff's Robin ……. or why Jeff cancelled it …….. I thought it was his Robin but as a starter his composition was poor ………..

I read the thread as it was going on, didn't comment though, i thought he sold the image in question?

I read the thread as it was going on, didn't comment though, i thought he sold the image in question?

So is he saying that it is not his because he has sold it?

so he does not have the right to display it ……… funny situation

All we should have, and I have suggested it before is that "Thanks" replaces "Like"

(as usual all I suggest is poh pohed by the Mods)

Last edited:
I'm sorry but thats a major cop out. Is the 'job' of mods and admin not to put a stop to trolling and downright rudeness? Yes members have to take responsibility for themselves, but just like children, if you don't clamp down on these behaviours, then look at what you end up with.
The problem is of course that we have to try and remain as unbiased as possible,
or we get accusations of favouritism, moderating too hard or too softly,
the latter of course depends on which side of the moderation you are sitting on at the time.

If you read any thread, who would you moderate the trolls or the trolls that troll them?
Its human nature to "bite" rather than RTM.
Some people do both of course, we see that all the time too,
Someone will troll someone and then report them for trolling.

As for actual moderation, stuff goes on behind the scenes that people are not aware of,
sanctions, private PM's and more.

Rock and a hard place for the green team most of the time.

I think BRASH bought it :)

Den, I am disappointed that it has not been posted on MY Xmas Robin Thread …….. come on post your images so Brash can be asked to Judge which is the best

So is he saying that it is not his because he has sold it?

so he does not have the right to display it ……… funny situation

All we should have, and I have suggested it before is that "Thanks" replaces "Like"

I'm guessing it was his so he put image up, but it got sold so now not is.... although i have other ideas as to why it's gone

I think BRASH bought it :)

Ok that made me laugh alot... knowing Brashs passion for them i totally agree;)

The problem is of course that we have to try and remain as unbiased as possible,
or we get accusations of favouritism, moderating too hard or too softly,
the latter of course depends on which side of the moderation you are sitting on at the time.

If you read any thread, who would you moderate the trolls or the trolls that troll them?
Its human nature to "bite" rather than RTM.
Some people do both of course, we see that all the time too,
Someone will troll someone and then report them for trolling.

As for actual moderation, stuff goes on behind the scenes that people are not aware of,
sanctions, private PM's and more.

Rock and a hard place for the green team most of the time.

Accepted that there is always more than one opinion on things, but this topic is coming up more and more frequently in this section, so clearly telling some they are a naughty boy and not to do it again isn't working.

Was it fun / ironic / banter when Steve Hatch reinvented himself here and his circle of friends began liking his comments? Granted Steves alter ego got kicked out again but the rest are still around.

I don't ever like taking anyone who volunteers their time for free to task, but the ostrich theory of moderation in this particular forum is not proving particularly effective.

Accepted that there is always more than one opinion on things, but this topic is coming up more and more frequently in this section, so clearly telling some they are a naughty boy and not to do it again isn't working.

Was it fun / ironic / banter when Steve Hatch reinvented himself here and his circle of friends began liking his comments? Granted Steves alter ego got kicked out again but the rest are still around.

I don't ever like taking anyone who volunteers their time for free to task, but the ostrich theory of moderation in this particular forum is not proving particularly effective.
All very fair points, Mike :)

Going back to rock and a hard place its pretty apparent in "here"
that there are a couple or so of defined camps.
And I'm sure that its not just the green team that knows this either.

Those "like" each others posts, (to the point of predictability) and follow each other around,
Backing each other up. (Either openly or surreptitiously )

Then there is the few "floaters" the ones that stay fairly neutral but will come down on either side as the mood takes them.
Then there is the ones that completely ignore the "camps"
And just get on with "life" and ignore the hardcore.

Camps and cliques will form, its human nature,
mates will support mate, comment on their images,
and largely blow sunshine up each others arse,
or support to deride "whoever"
as I said human nature.

Now by taking out anyone of the "two main groups" the problem will solve itself.
But which one? It does mean banning quite a few people.
And that is something that is against the principles of TP

We would hope that people can behave like adults, treat each other
as they would wish to be treated.
And even give people a second chance.

Previously you mentioned about starting another account,
after being banned, there are a few around that we are aware of,
those that play nice, keep their head down are allowed to stay.
Some however just re-join to cause mischief,
They've had a second chance and blown it.

Its a pity that after the last "blow-up" statements from the admin.
Things largely all settled down for quite awhile.
Now its coming to the fore again.

What's the answer?
Close the bird section and dilute the posts across wild and free,
and make the zoo section an animal section with the prefix
"wild" or "captive" ? to encompass ALL things from the animal kingdom?
both sections are pretty peaceful.
Maybe some of it would rub off on a few others,
Who knows?

Unbelievable. A member who recently served a ban for his posting style continues with this style and you think thats acceptable. I honestly can't get my head around that one. I asked him directly to explain his reason - more sarcasm. Can't say I blame him with the complete lack of action taken.

so we should ban someone for making a joke? Neil has been banned for being disruptive and trolling, not making a joke, he has curtailed his behaviour since his suspension

People have not buggered off from here because they can't accept criticism - not the ones who take this hobby at least semi-seriously anyway. I know that because I've spoken to a few of them. They left due to the back biting and trolling which mods are always 'aware of and looking at doing something about'.

Do you know how many people we have banned, how many suspensions we have dished out, how many RTMs we have discussed, how many conversations we have had, and how many hours that has taken? No? But you know that we have done nothing about any of the issues in this forum? Is that because we havent banned the people YOU think should be banned?

it is the job of the mod team to stop rudeness, however we cant stop people getting offended by their own egos not being massaged or people getting offended on the behalf of others.. As i have said before, we look at every report on merit and discuss between us what to do, we have a lot of things going on in the backroom that you have no idea about, it might actually surprise you one day too.

Believe it or not, I don't personally get offended at comments made by anonymous members of an online forum, but watching a potentially excellent source of information slide downhill the way this place has been allowed to do (despite numerous members raising concerns over a select few) is sad

it is frustrating, but sometimes people need to rise above perceived issues. There are just as many s*** stirrers as there are people likely to cause offence, it is quite apparent, when you look at those reported and those reporting, that there are 2 camps that are 'the problem', not just a couple of knuckleheads with no tact.

Hatch was trolling, he was dealt with, there are other trolls that have also been pushed out of the airlock. It wont be enough for some though until the 3 amigos that 'the offended' always report are gone though, will it?
You can criticise me all you like, but i'll not have you criticise the mod team. They do a very good job in trying circumstances.

we will never please everyone, that is why the Ignore function is here, i suggest people should use it far more than they do.

Back