What would you advise.

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
One of my grandchildren is getting married next month.
They have booked a photographer but have asked me to do some extra photos ... guests arriving/before the ceremony, all seated in the ceremony, bride & groom after the ceremony and 'informals' at the reception - (the photographer will be told that I'm going to be doing this).
Obviously rule no 1 is I keep out of the way of the photographer, but for what I will be doing I wonder which lenses you would use from the following available ( 2 x D3S' available):-

• 70-200 f2.8
  • 24-120 f4
  • 85 f1.4
  • 35 f2
  • 24 f2.8
  • 14-24 f2.8

I also have an SB600 and SB800 available if required.

If its some Candid stuff, Got to get the 85 1.4 out. I'd be tempted to ditch the 70-200 and take the primes, D3s shoot available light. No need for a flash :)

Yes I'm thinking the 85mm but I am wondering whether the 70-200 would prove useful - perhaps the 24mm for wider shots :thinking:

Gramps,

Depending on the size of Church, venue etc, I think I'd be tempted to use the wider lenses, over the 70-200. Just wondering if it's possible for you to go to the venues before hand and have a quick try out with the different lenses to see which maybe the better option ???

Don't forget though, have a great day and enjoy it (y)

Hope everything goes well for them ...

I'd take a flash. You never know when a bit of fill would be useful and you may want to isolate some subjects from the background by underexposing and compensating with the flash.

Obviously it depends on how much kit you are happy to lug about - I'd be thinking the 3 primes + 70-200 f/2.8, perhaps leaving the 35 behind if space was tight.

If you have an option before the day to meet the main photographer and have a chat that might be a good option - just to get to clear between you what specific shots you are aiming for (rather than risk a misunderstanding, and missed shots), and also so you don't' end up with any awkwardness on the day if he's not entirely happy with someone he doesn't know doing part of the job, etc.

I think I'd go 24-120 and a flashgun as a compromise........ Reasonable focal range given that you're not likely to be that far from the action and the flash 'cos you never know when you might need it :)

If the long end of the lens doesn't get you close enough for some shots there's the option to crop a few too.

You can also hold that combo in one hand and have a beer in the other ;)

Gramps,

Depending on the size of Church, venue etc, I think I'd be tempted to use the wider lenses, over the 70-200. Just wondering if it's possible for you to go to the venues before hand and have a quick try out with the different lenses to see which maybe the better option ???

Don't forget though, have a great day and enjoy it (y)

Hope everything goes well for them ...

Thanks, I will get the chance to sus out the venue ... I was thinking the 70-200 for some 'candids' ... throws out the background better and allows 'looking across the room'.

What a nice collection of equipment!

I'd go for the 70-200mm & 50mm combo, keeping the 24mm on your belt. No flash necessary.

Jealous of that equipment list!

Thanks for the advice ... mortgage paid long ago + no kids = a big difference :D

I'd take a flash. You never know when a bit of fill would be useful and you may want to isolate some subjects from the background by underexposing and compensating with the flash.

Yes I tend to agree there, gives my another option if needed.

Obviously it depends on how much kit you are happy to lug about - I'd be thinking the 3 primes + 70-200 f/2.8, perhaps leaving the 35 behind if space was tight.

If you have an option before the day to meet the main photographer and have a chat that might be a good option - just to get to clear between you what specific shots you are aiming for (rather than risk a misunderstanding, and missed shots), and also so you don't' end up with any awkwardness on the day if he's not entirely happy with someone he doesn't know doing part of the job, etc.

I'm thinking I could manage the two cameras with lenses and one small lens to carry. I have met the photographer before and she is pretty easy going, no problems taking a few 'guest photos' at a previous wedding.

surely that one is for the main tog?

Absolutely - I will not be attempting to provide the shots, just a few alternatives.

I think I'd go 24-120 and a flashgun as a compromise........ Reasonable focal range given that you're not likely to be that far from the action and the flash 'cos you never know when you might need it :)

If the long end of the lens doesn't get you close enough for some shots there's the option to crop a few too.

You can also hold that combo in one hand and have a beer in the other ;)

Yes, now you've thrown me as I was thinking the same but a bit concerned about the f4 ... shouldn't be really not with the D3S' ISO and a flash ... but ... :thinking:

I would shoot in a different style to the hired photographer. Grab one camera and one prime and shoot with that. Natural light (or darkness!) and ramp up the iso as required. Have fun shooting and don't get weighed down by gear. As it is one of the grandkids getting married remember to have fun without the camera too! :)

One of my grandchildren is getting married next month.
They have booked a photographer but have asked me to do some extra photos ... guests arriving/before the ceremony, all seated in the ceremony, bride & groom after the ceremony and 'informals' at the reception - (the photographer will be told that I'm going to be doing this).
Obviously rule no 1 is I keep out of the way of the photographer, but for what I will be doing I wonder which lenses you would use from the following available ( 2 x D3S' available):-

• 70-200 f2.8
  • 24-120 f4
  • 85 f1.4
  • 35 f2
  • 24 f2.8
  • 14-24 f2.8

I also have an SB600 and SB800 available if required.

Hi Gramps.

For me it would have to be the 14-24 i think in low light the D3s and this lens are pretty unbeatable and 70-200. In most situations you can either move closer or further away. The 24-120 has a great focal range but i'm not a fan of that lens. I would also take the SB800 a great flash and it's always better to have your most powerful gun avaliable. You can always turn it down.

Of course this is just what i would do and how you want to spend the day is up to you.

Hope you all have a great one.(y)

If you are photographing during the ceremony I would check what you are allowed to do, I recently photographed during the ceremony and the conditions were no flash and I had to stand at the back and not move around, I was allowed to use a tripod which helped with the light levels.

I'd be tempted to go with the 14-24 and 24-120 and a flash just for backup, unless you get to park really close to the venue and take all your kit in the boot.

Thanks for the advice ... mortgage paid long ago + no kids = a big difference

Just a bit puzzled, how did you manage to get grandkids without kids? Wish you could let me into the secret so I could get rid of my kids and get grandkids in about 10 years time lol.
Thought as much, you lucky man, should of finished with a smiley lol.

Last edited:
modchild said:
Just a bit puzzled, how did you manage to get grandkids without kids? Wish you could let me into the secret so I could get rid of my kids and get grandkids in about 10 years time lol.

He's old and decrepit, he is clearly confused!

Lol just kidding gramps.

Obviously the kids don't live at home anymore :)

I would shoot in a different style to the hired photographer. Grab one camera and one prime and shoot with that. Natural light (or darkness!) and ramp up the iso as required. Have fun shooting and don't get weighed down by gear. As it is one of the grandkids getting married remember to have fun without the camera too! :)

Hi Gramps.

For me it would have to be the 14-24 i think in low light the D3s and this lens are pretty unbeatable and 70-200. In most situations you can either move closer or further away. The 24-120 has a great focal range but i'm not a fan of that lens. I would also take the SB800 a great flash and it's always better to have your most powerful gun avaliable. You can always turn it down.

Of course this is just what i would do and how you want to spend the day is up to you.

Hope you all have a great one.(y)

If you are photographing during the ceremony I would check what you are allowed to do, I recently photographed during the ceremony and the conditions were no flash and I had to stand at the back and not move around, I was allowed to use a tripod which helped with the light levels.

I'd be tempted to go with the 14-24 and 24-120 and a flash just for backup, unless you get to park really close to the venue and take all your kit in the boot.

Thanks all, more in the mix to think about :)

Obviously the kids don't live at home anymore :)

Indeed, no longer at home ... makes a difference!

Back