Whats this used for???

Name
Roly
Edit My Images
Yes
Right you're all a clever bunch.

Went out for a walk in Hougton Forest in Arundel yesterday to get a picture for my 52 of 2012 and came across this.

Locted on the edge of a man made clearing, it looks professionaly built and has the serial no 0887 on it.

Just wondered if anyone here has come across them in the past?

What's it for?? by o RATMAN o, on Flickr

It's a high seat.

Chances are it is used by Deer stalkers for Deer management in this woodland.

They are occasionally used by wildlife watchers, but rarely.

Its called a High Seat- used to shoot Deer from- I have one just like it in metal

can be seen behind me in this image - on the tree line

Lesand243DeerRifle.jpg

Les (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your Bolt should really be open ;) (joke)

I can't make out the rifle quite, CZ/Brno or Browning? Or i'm miles out and will make a tit of myself lol.

Thanks guys, makes sense now. Didn't think they would be shooting deer in such a public place. Next time I venture down there I will make sure I'm wearing bright clothes lol.

Yeah you will probably find it is put a sensible distance from any footpaths. It is in a clearing so good visibility and the reason (or one of) for using a highseat is to allow more safe shots and better visibility of the shooting area.

Deer management is an important part of maintaining a forest or woodland properly, people that often express their displeasure at this act rarely appreciate this (thats not aimed at the OP btw). I would imagine it is also an important revenue stream for the national forest as the shooting rights are often let out to syndicates or individuals.

The height is for better viewing and to ensure a solid background for the shot.

Proper deer management is vital to ensure the fittest and best reproduce. Also, on occasion, we have to take injured or old animals out for the sake of kindness i suppose. Deer are like sheep in that they grind away all their teeth and would starve to death or get eaten before actually dying if left.

Interfering in nature? I suppose it is.

The height is for better viewing and to ensure a solid background for the shot.

Proper deer management is vital to ensure the fittest and best reproduce. Also, on occasion, we have to take injured or old animals out for the sake of kindness i suppose. Deer are like sheep in that they grind away all their teeth and would starve to death or get eaten before actually dying if left.

Interfering in nature? I suppose it is.

Only taking the place of the wolf as it would be a little impractical to reintroduce them. Good fun if we did though. :D

Only taking the place of the wolf as it would be a little impractical to reintroduce them. Good fun if we did though. :D

Aye, suppose so.

Usually the foxes and badgers get the carcass first, then the buzzards,then the rooks and stuff. Not a nice thing to see, but that is nature,summat dies,summat eats it.....:)

Your Bolt should really be open ;) (joke)

I can't make out the rifle quite, CZ/Brno or Browning? Or i'm miles out and will make a tit of myself lol.

Agreed it should have been :wacky:- I was stalking when the image was taken and its a Browning .243 with a Bushnell scope, for the record lol

Les :D

Back