whats your opinion on this (motorsport) photo?

Gary

TPer Emeritus
Name
See above
Edit My Images
No
http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/121380

now i love looking at the professional f1 shots. the photographers are normally a cut above the rest, their shots are normally very original and inspiring. But i cant help but think they have tried so hard on this shot that they have come full circle and taken a shot that even a beginner would throw away!

XPB_284442_HiRes.jpg-2

Just becuse you have a big lens doesn't mean that you can take all your shots from the bar :LOL:

I had the almost exact same thought when I saw this photograph:

_45059033_dc_getty300.jpg

I'm pretty sure more or less all of us on here could achieve that result! :thinking::shrug:

There are a few motorsport photographers that do stuff like this, I've seen examples in the British Touring Car Championship, they sit a 1/4 mile away with a long lens catching a fleeting glimpse of a car through the tree. (maybe a 1/4 mile is an exaggeration, but often with a huge long lens for sure!) I'm not a fan of this kind of shot at all.

Kelvin

lol. After shooting a few F1 GPs from a spectator perspective I think most of the pro F1 shots are just good because they've got the access to the good shooting perspectives. But the one mentioned is pretty darn bad.

thats the togs that go "YEAH THATS COOL, YOUNG F1 FANS WILL THINK THIS ROCKS" old man attitude trying to be cool and "different"

lol. After shooting a few F1 GPs from a spectator perspective I think most of the pro F1 shots are just good because they've got the access to the good shooting perspectives. But the one mentioned is pretty darn bad.

i disagree with that. Quite a lot of the f1 photographers seem to have just that extra bit more imagination. A lot of them seem to be able to make an exciting or arty shot out of nothing.
for example
l__o9t0086-2

i dont mind shots through the trees (i.e. the common one that people do at brands hatch from druids shooting through the trees at cars coming down paddock), but this one just looks like the tree got in the way of the shot.

i disagree with that. Quite a lot of the f1 photographers seem to have just that extra bit more imagination. A lot of them seem to be able to make an exciting or arty shot out of nothing.
for example

Once you've done every corner and every angle to death at multiple events, I'd try and get imaginative too. ;)

In all seriousness though they are of course talented people but no more talented than a lot of people around here. IMHO F1 is a pretty forgiving event to shoot because (aside from the spectacular and unusual events) you'll get 60-70 chances to get that same car at the same corner going the same speed. Of course, when someone crashes or there is a burst of emotion on the podium, then the togs earn their keep as those moments can't be re-lived. Just my opinion mind.

IMHO F1 is a pretty forgiving event to shoot because (aside from the spectacular and unusual events) you'll get 60-70 chances to get that same car at the same corner going the same speed..

i have to dissagree again :)
Some of the F1 races are quite restricted as to where you can shoot from. Some corners have two or three holes in the catch fencing that you can shoot through. Some places are only allowed for some photographers. And all the time you are battling with so many other photographers desperate to get the money shot. I've had a little taste of it and it can be fun, but I think after a few years of it it might drive you insane :)

unfortunately the tree is a little bit too blurred for my liking, but it has some nice colours with some background detail:) i would clone out the car behind as it detracts from the shot

i have to dissagree again :)
Some of the F1 races are quite restricted as to where you can shoot from. Some corners have two or three holes in the catch fencing that you can shoot through. Some places are only allowed for some photographers. And all the time you are battling with so many other photographers desperate to get the money shot. I've had a little taste of it and it can be fun, but I think after a few years of it it might drive you insane :)

I totally agree with your disagreeing to my initial disagreement regarding your disagreement. :)

Not saying the life of an F1 tog is easy or getting into position, however once you've got said position it's quite repetitive. Of course they will want to move around a lot though unless they are with an agency with multiple togs at an event then they'll sit on their a%$ and chat to the marshals. lol.

for example
l__o9t0086-2

i dont mind shots through the trees (i.e. the common one that people do at brands hatch from druids shooting through the trees at cars coming down paddock), but this one just looks like the tree got in the way of the shot.

I agree with you completely Gary,

Having the media pass guarantees you about as good a shot as a D3 or 1dsMk3 does.....If you don't really know what you're doing then neither will guarantee a great shot. Having the tools, and having the access definitely helps, but you need also to see what the other 50 media accredited photographers that have signed onto the event and that are after your sheet space don't. You also then need to be able to capture it........:thinking:

As for that shot of the car testing at Jerez, I wouldn't have even needed to chimp to know I had to delete that one. I'm sorry, it's terrible for a so-called pro to allow that to be published. It tell's you absolutely nothing about the sport or environment and provides none of the 'feel' of the sport.. Bin, bin, bin and then when you're finished bin it....sorry, it's a shocking shot. Did I make that clear :shrug: :)

In retropspect, about the only thing going for it is that no other pro will have captured that and submitted it for release so it is indeed a unique shot from the event (but still a cr@p one)

There's a possibility they might have used manual focus here... that's how I shoot stuff like this.

I can tell you form experience there's a bit more to shooting F1 than having good access.

It's fairly easy to get standard on track shots, yeah. But to be honest that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to motorsport. Add to that client briefs, tight deadlines etc., and it's hard work.

I've covered GPs with an agency. I certainly didn't just sit in one place! It's harder than a lot races because you can't just drive your car around the track perimeter. For example, at this years British GP, I shot the start from Stowe, ran round to Club after a few laps, ran to Abbey for a few laps, ran to Luffield for the last few laps, ran to the podium for the... well podium... dropped my memory card off at the media centre, then back to the first corner for the start of one of the support race. Spent the whole weekend (thursday morning onwards) in media scrums photographing drivers, walking round the campsites photographing them, round the track photographing the various sessions, going to an airfield to do some promo shots for Renault, and more. So there's a bit more to F1 than you may think.
Not having a go kalibre, just a perspective from someone in the industry! (y)(y)

Anyway... this particular shot, I'm not a great fan, I think a slower shutter speed, more car in view, or a higher vantage point to get the car above the trees. So this one doesn't really work for a lot of people. I know the photographer in question though, and he is superb, and does some really good stuff.

I agree with all of that too Mike. It really puzzles me though that the photographer (that you know) released that shot and hope you might be able to shed some light on it. It just doesn't stack up to me with the bit that "he is superb and does some really good stuff". If you do that and work on professionalism and being different, you wouldn't entertain that shot in your portfolio. Help me understand, please :shrug:

Guy

I've covered GPs with an agency. I certainly didn't just sit in one place! It's harder than a lot races because you can't just drive your car around the track perimeter. For example, at this years British GP, I shot the start from Stowe, ran round to Club after a few laps, ran to Abbey for a few laps, ran to Luffield for the last few laps, ran to the podium for the... well podium... dropped my memory card off at the media centre, then back to the first corner for the start of one of the support race. Spent the whole weekend (thursday morning onwards) in media scrums photographing drivers, walking round the campsites photographing them, round the track photographing the various sessions, going to an airfield to do some promo shots for Renault, and more. So there's a bit more to F1 than you may think.
Not having a go kalibre, just a perspective from someone in the industry! (y)(y)

I always thought as to how hectic it would be on a race weekend. At testing it is a lot more relaxing afair. Having the whole day to go around the track (although they did stop access beyond Club at one end along to Copse infield in the other direction via Woodcote) was stress free, could spend an hour in sections without worry.
If the mediascrum is anything like the Massa fanboy scrum at testing then christ, you manage to escape without any bruises, cuts, damage to equipment?!? Friend and I were pushed and shoved or wacked in the face while trying to get by them and we wearn't even wanting to see Flipper! :s

One thing about that type of shot in the original post, that seems to be one liked a lot by the photo editor on autosport.com, the same with the blurry one. Think there is a ROC Abarth 500 pic like that in the gallery right now.

Ahh, very true, I am still thinking of this from a spectator's point of view.
Oh yes, the screens on the garages, complete bugger. Thankyou Williams and F-I for not putting them up. Renault was a so so effort while BMW, all I had was a guy drinking coffee for show :s

Bloody hell, Ouch over the camera incident and ta Fred :(

What I did notice within the paddock at testing, was the way people react to the drivers or how the teams cover them. Hamilton was driven from the Mercedes press room to the team motorhome, in fear he would be mobbed. Massa was mobbed by masses of people pushing and shoving. Piquet had lots of people around him but it was very calm, while Mr Sutil, hrm, only myself and my Friend ;)

If people are paying for that shot, then there's hope for many of us lesser mortals after all.

Personally I don't like the shot, but perhaps the photog thought catching the driver's head right between the branches made it worthy of a final select. On its own its far too plain for me though... perhaps a bit more creative PP might do the trick.

I can see what he/she was trying to achieve, but that shot just doesn't work imo.

I always watch the accredited togs behind the fence to see what there technique is and to try and learn something from them, but find that a lot of them (not all) just set there cameras to 8fps firing like they have a mac-10

The thing i like about being a spectator is that it makes me more creative, using the crowds/fences to give more action and speed.

taken a shot that even a beginner would throw away!

Yeah the shutter speed is waaaay too fast :bonk:

On a serious note, I do see such things from folks on here and on Flickr and that's fine because its fun to muck around a bit, but I did rather think it unlikely that once you had reached F1 accreditation that you might not submit such things... maybe you still have a little play, but not actually punt them to the customer?

But then again remember we are looking at someone's published work here, so someone paid for it, who are we to say what the customer does or doesn't like at the end of the day...

Just my 2p, but that shot is terrible. It probably wouldn't even have made it to my laptop forget on autosport, very poor effort!

I can see what he/she was trying to achieve, but that shot just doesn't work imo.

I always watch the accredited togs behind the fence to see what there technique is and to try and learn something from them, but find that a lot of them (not all) just set there cameras to 8fps firing like they have a mac-10

The thing i like about being a spectator is that it makes me more creative, using the crowds/fences to give more action and speed.

......and that 8fps "gattling-gun" approach Jon is one of the reasons why I quit my motorsport snapping as a serious career choice.

Another one is the subject of this thread....that photo (or the quality of it and who/what its supposed to be by)

Back