When cyclists attack

Get a grip, he didn't rough up a stranger as you put it.
Getting a grip is exactly the problem.
He jumped out of his cab (totally unnecessarily and probably illegally) and is shortly afterwards is seen grappling in the road, probably illegally detaining a member of the public.
Who started the physical altercation isn't known (and probably never will be), but a half-decent hatchet job by a local hack ("Road Rage Trucker ruffled my beard", sad photo of cyclist standing next to bike) puts the OPs employer under pressure to be seen to "take this very seriously".

Agree that it sounds like the cyclist committed at worst common assault rather than ABH
Having an interest in photography means it is useful to have some knowledge of detention laws and common assault is not an offence warranting a citizens arrest in the UK.

We seem to be getting rather personal again!
I'm a big boy, I even tie my own shoe laces ;)

puts the OPs employer under pressure to be seen to "take this very seriously".
Wouldn't alter my bosses stance. They run their own business, not the press.

I'm a big boy, I even tie my own shoe laces ;)
Its not only you though that's being called a t*** and the like.

Anymore RTM's about personal insults and swearing and, well you know what happens next ;)

Getting a grip is exactly the problem.
He jumped out of his cab (totally unnecessarily and probably illegally) and is shortly afterwards is seen grappling in the road, probably illegally detaining a member of the public.
Who started the physical altercation isn't known (and probably never will be), but a half-decent hatchet job by a local hack ("Road Rage Trucker ruffled my beard", sad photo of cyclist standing next to bike) puts the OPs employer under pressure to be seen to "take this very seriously".

As the cyclist had deliberately hit the front of the cab, I'd be straight out to look for any damage. He had every right to get out.

A bell? o_O

`kinell the number of cycles who don't have one fitted is fairly common. Crikey, many don't even have lights! :rolleyes:

They all have a self righteous helmet camera though (not all of them before anyone gets on their high horse, a throws up 1 exception)

A bell? o_O

`kinell the number of cycles who don't have one fitted is fairly common. Crikey, many don't even have lights! :rolleyes:
I'm sure a bell has to be fitted to all new bikes although I'd imagine some people strip them off pretty quick - I sometimes use mine on bike tracks but it would not help if you got into unexpected danger on the road!

All new bikes have to be supplied with a bell but they are not a legal requirement after sale.
To be honest I took the bell of my bike as they are pitiful sounding and in fairness I used my gob to make people aware I am am approaching -
"Excuse me please" and "thank you"
Usually this is only on cycle paths shared with pedestrians and dog walkers etc.

I doubt I will ever become a roadie with a camera and I certainly will never be one of those who actually fit horns to their bike.

I use an air horn, scares the crap out of drivers when they don't look. Even better in the summer when the windows down.

I'm sure a bell has to be fitted to all new bikes although I'd imagine some people strip them off pretty quick - I sometimes use mine on bike tracks but it would not help if you got into unexpected danger on the road!

You may well be correct with that, Adrian, but it's a bit like all cars having indicators, just not all drivers choose to use them. :D

All new bikes have to be supplied with a bell but they are not a legal requirement after sale.
To be honest I took the bell of my bike as they are pitiful sounding and in fairness I used my gob to make people aware I am am approaching -
"Excuse me please" and "thank you"
Usually this is only on cycle paths shared with pedestrians and dog walkers etc.

I doubt I will ever become a roadie with a camera and I certainly will never be one of those who actually fit horns to their bike.

New bikes that are purchased still boxed/ not fully assembled/ not on shop display at the point of sale dont have to be fitted with a bell.

I remember I was driving when I saw a cyclist with no lights on, I did not see them in the darkness and I swerved at the last minute nearly hitting them. The person gave me the finger and swore at me, I shouted get some lights on your bike, you idiot. I recognised the person as a customer of the shop that I worked at, and they recognised me. The person complained to my boss, but my boss said it was nothing to do with him, as it happened outside of work hours.
I saw on last nights news that police in Cambridge ? ,had a crackdown on cyclists with no lights £50 on the spot fine ,well done the rozzers LOL

I saw on last nights news that police in Cambridge ? ,had a crackdown on cyclists with no lights £50 on the spot fine ,well done the rozzers LOL

A worthwhile campaign as too many cyclists think it is safe to cycle without lights when it's dark.

Now that they have done that though I think they should crackdown on motorists who use foglights when it ain't foggy and daylight driving lights (or whatever you call those LED light things)on there own when its dark.

;)

And I reckon millions will be spent chasing John Smith of 22 Acacia Avenue for the £50 he owes... Confiscation of the bike (on the spot) with a £200 release fee would be my solution to cycling offences. Oh, I'd make them have to conform to speed limits as well.

And I reckon millions will be spent chasing John Smith of 22 Acacia Avenue for the £50 he owes... Confiscation of the bike (on the spot) with a £200 release fee would be my solution to cycling offences. Oh, I'd make them have to conform to speed limits as well.

I assume you would also be happy for the same solution for motoring offences.

For pedestrian offences it would have to be confiscation of shoes I guess.

arbitary castration should also be applied to all cyclists when found to be exceeding 10mph as well ,and for female ones a pre frontal lobotomy ,not sure whether that would make any difference though :pompous: :exit:

Reactions: BBR
arbitary castration should also be applied to all cyclists when found to be exceeding 10mph as well ,

Yeah, that would work. Im sure you wouldnt get annoyed sitting behind a cyclist that was only going 10mph. No, youd probably lose all patience and swerve around them into oncoming traffic, putting the cyclist, the person/people in the car coming the opposite way and you all in danger.

Well done.

I come across loads of people on the cycle tracks where I live that don't have a bell, they have everything else mind you including carbon fibre cod piece but no bell, so they sort of sneak up on dog walkers and then try and slide by without a by or a leave, bunch of bell ends they are.

There's a lot of angry people on here..

When police started prosecuting cyclists in London for running red lights, they protested by cycling in groups to restrict traffic and caused congestion issues. Now they are campaigning to allow them to run red lights, especially for turning left.
That might cut down on the number of accidents where cyclists filter to the front, ignoring the vehicle turning left.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/oct/27/cyclists-run-red-lights-paris-london-san-francisco

I assume you would also be happy for the same solution for motoring offences.

For pedestrian offences it would have to be confiscation of shoes I guess.

Yes, I would. There's way too much bad and dangerous driving about these days - stiffer penalties and stronger enforcement would improve matters.

Could really do with some of them long blade ben hur chariot type hub caps ,that sounds like the best way

Excellent. If they can also stop drivers intentionally forcing cyclists into the kerb on Mill Road (witnessed it several times whilst I was living there) that'd be great too.

I come across loads of people on the cycle tracks where I live that don't have a bell, they have everything else mind you including carbon fibre cod piece but no bell, so they sort of sneak up on dog walkers and then try and slide by without a by or a leave, bunch of bell ends they are.

That annoys me, I don't mind sharing bridleways with bikes and horses but I do get annoyed at the idiots on bikes who think the own the track :mad:
Not long ago I was walking the dogs along a lovely canal bank, loads of other walkers, an idiot on a bike comes taring along shouting at everyone
to get out of the way, guess who didn't...................................one cyclist in a thorn bush swearing profusely told him he needed to learn some respect for other people and slow down.

Last edited:
There's a pretty good image of his face in the video so he shouldn't be too hard to identify....

Looks familiar
p02bzcj7.jpg

arbitary castration should also be applied to all cyclists when found to be exceeding 10mph as well ,and for female ones a pre frontal lobotomy ,not sure whether that would make any difference though :pompous: :exit:

Part of my daily commute has a narrow bit of road where overtaking is pretty much impossible so I try not to dawdle too much as I know people will be waiting behind me - I assume you would prefer me to go extra slow (ie less than 10mph) if you were stuck behind?

When the lights change at the start of the video, didn't the white van do exactly the same as what the cyclist is been accused off.

Yep.
The difference was, the van managed to accelerate & get in front, the cyclist had next to no chance.

Maybe the cyclist should have had a go at the van driver for holding him back a few yards & stopping him riding in front of the wagon. (& maybe even saving him from getting squished)

Last edited:
Part of my daily commute has a narrow bit of road where overtaking is pretty much impossible so I try not to dawdle too much as I know people will be waiting behind me - I assume you would prefer me to go extra slow (ie less than 10mph) if you were stuck behind?
Being long retired I can state with complete honesty ,you can do what you want ,I,ll be lying in bed without a care while your on yer Tredder commuting .but unfortunately your attitude in your replies to my tongue in cheek posts just re.inforces my attitude to ARROGANT cyclists .:banghead:

We seem to be getting rather personal again!

who'd have guessed a cycling thread would go down the pan... its unprecedented I tell thee unprecedented :runaway:

(its only more likely if the topic is weddings or little owls ..... awaits a thread about two little owls getting married on a bicycle )

Last edited:
who'd have guessed a cycling thread would go down the pan... its unprecedented I tell thee unprecedented :runaway:

(its only more likely if the topic is weddings or little owls ..... awaits a thread about two little owls getting married on a bicycle )

Is the Vicar wearing a Go Pro??

Back