Where has it all gone?

Last edited:
Well, I'm still finding stuff out there. I've found a K1000, ME Super, A Nettar and Agfa Isolette. I even stumbled across a Topcon RE2 the other day.

Is that cheaper than the going rate considering it's sold as seen, and no returns if you actually take it out of the plastic bag to look at it?
oh god I didnt see that, the guys in manc are decent so if you asked to look at it i reckon they would unwrap it, anyone buying that without checking it works deserves to be ripped off ha! if they dont let you look at it itll be sitting on the shelf for a very long time.

I am getting peved with people passing off broken kit as "untested" used on ebay. Used means it works, if you can't test it get someone else to or sell it as spares or repair. That being said I still find some good value on ebay. Just got a working AE-1 Program with 50mm F1.8 for £70. The base plate is a bit chewed up but otherwise nice condition. I bought a Minox AL for £25 recently. I get the odd p&s for anything from £5 to £25. Not a Mju II or T2 of course but I got a bonkers Samsung ECX-1 for >£25. There are fun, good value and good condition stuff out there but way more people chancing their arm sadly.

I am getting peved with people passing off broken kit as "untested" used on ebay. Used means it works, if you can't test it get someone else to or sell it as spares or repair.

If you buy it as used, and it doesn't work, eBay will allow you to be refunded. It doesn't matter if they describe it as untested, or say no returns or something, eBay's description of a used item is that it should be working, even if not in perfect condition.

I alays sell untested items as Spares or Repairs on eBay. I'd make more money selling them as used, but if I want that then it's my responsibility to test the item first.

If you buy it as used, and it doesn't work, eBay will allow you to be refunded. It doesn't matter if they describe it as untested, or say no returns or something, eBay's description of a used item is that it should be working, even if not in perfect condition.

I alays sell untested items as Spares or Repairs on eBay. I'd make more money selling them as used, but if I want that then it's my responsibility to test the item first.

Indeed, but it's just another inconvenience. I'd rather people behaved like you and I do on ebay.

I must have got lucky with my Leica IIIa from ebay. It was 300 quid with an Elmar 3.5 and it's in excellent condition, with only 2 millimetre's worth of brassing near the rewind knob.
Looking on a Leica dealer's website, I'd have paid at least twice as much for a body and lens in similar condition.

Another bargain I had was an Instax 100 for 12 quid including postage. It was advertised as spares or repair. The seller said he put batteries in, and nothing happened.
Just what I wanted, as I needed a knackered one for some experiments. It turned up, and it was in brand new condition. I put some batteries in, and it was working perfectly.
I couldn't bear to take it apart even though it was a lowly Instax, so I kept it for using.

Whilst in Keswick last week the local Oxfam shop had two Olympus Trips in a display cabinet, one was a standard silver marked up at £88, the other a black Trip marked up at £144. Neither were particularly good in their condition, but no doubt someone would have paid the asking price. All for a good cause of course.

I "wowed" that @garry71 as it sounds like my iiia with similar lens (inherited from dad) is worth more than I thought! Must get it CLA'd in that case!

Back