Which console PS4 or Xbox 1 ?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have an xbox 360 at the moment which is now faulty and not been used in ages so I was thinking of maybe getting a new console after Christmas

I have looked at reviews and they both seem good and I see they both now have paid for membership online which is no use to me really as I usually prefer to play on my own (to many weirdos)

I have read the PS4 is more powerful on paper and someone told me its slightly more reliable and a lad who works in Game ( I used to) told me he would go for the PS4

But I just want to ask on here which is the better console ?

Which is more reliable ?

Which has more games ?

Which has cheaper games ?

Which would be better (if any) for sole play - which has more sole play games ?

This is a bit like Canon v Nikon in that you will get fan boys.

I'm at the point where my kids are in charge :nailbiting:

I decided to pick one up on black Friday (joint prezzie for them) and ended up going PS4

Yeah of course you get fanboys but its worth asking. To be totally honest I am not even sure I want one at all as I have little time to play anything and I can play a few games on the PC such as RTS games which I really enjoy so maybe a console is a waste of money

Pure games machine & better graphics is the PS4... My youngster went into this in great detail before making his decision. He tells me that the PS4 is 1080i and the Xbox is 720i so the clarity is much better. The only downside I am told is that the Xbox Live system is far better than PS Online, so if you play a lot online then Xbox 1.. That;s the input from my 12 year old... Have fun choosing!

Pure games machine & better graphics is the PS4... My youngster went into this in great detail before making his decision. He tells me that the PS4 is 1080i and the Xbox is 720i so the clarity is much better. The only downside I am told is that the Xbox Live system is far better than PS Online, so if you play a lot online then Xbox 1.. That;s the input from my 12 year old... Have fun choosing!

Both can play games at 1080p at 60fps,it all depends on the games :)

This is a bit like Canon v Nikon in that you will get fan boys.

I'm at the point where my kids are in charge :nailbiting:

I decided to pick one up on black Friday (joint prezzie for them) and ended up going PS4

Starting to feel a trend here that maybe I am the only one here who likes playing the odd game with all this reference to their kids .. Oh dear I am to old too play games :( :oops: :$ :coat: Do I need to buy some nice tweed slippers and a pipe :runaway:

Last edited:
I always thought Xbox live was better with the last gen consoles, but imo PSN is just as good now.

If you like driving games i would say get an Xbone and Forza 5, because imo again, PS4 still doesn't have a decent racer, Driveclub was mediocre at best.

Last edited:
Which is more reliable ?
Neither have any major design flaws although in tests the X1 survives better when dropped from a 5 odd metre height. I wouldn't say either is inherently more reliable though.

Which has more games ?
The X1 had more exclusives to start with I think. Now though? I've no idea and as most games are multi platform it will really depend on what type of games you play as to which set of exclusives fit you best.

Neither.

Again, look at the exclusives to see which fit you best. For me that was the X1 but PlayStation often get more RPGs. Especially Japanese ones.

As for the power difference.. it's not that great and isn't really worth making the deciding factor. Both will easily output 1080p if a game is Optimised correctly.

Anyone obsessing over resolution should be a part of the PC master race. :D

Last edited:
Where i used to work all the guys were sending x boxes back for some green screen of death problem which pushed me into a PS3
after 10 years of trouble free operation i updated to the 4,bought the wife a new 4k telly and now ive got it hooked up
to a 40 sony bravia playing Destiny at 1080p.
Not so many games out yet but they are in the works and to me i think the ps4 is a better picture.
As for being to old im 68 and lovin it

Go for it you know it makes sense

brian

Where i used to work all the guys were sending x boxes back for some green screen of death problem which pushed me into a PS3
after 10 years of trouble free operation i updated to the 4,bought the wife a new 4k telly and now ive got it hooked up
to a 40 sony bravia playing Destiny at 1080p.
Not so many games out yet but they are in the works and to me i think the ps4 is a better picture.
As for being to old im 68 and lovin it

Go for it you know it makes sense

brian

Ha... Ha... that is brilliant - 68 and still playing games. I reckon you sir are my hero :woot:

Xbox one for me sorry, online gameplay is far superior than gaystation I mean playstation.

Yeah but I don't care at all about online play

So why do Sony now charge for online play ? When I worked at Game that was one thing some people bought the PS3 for - free online play (even though the Xbox 360 was better for that at the time)

It depends, the xbox one has more exclusives but then multiplatform games the playstation 4 seems to perform better for most games in frame rate/higher resolution. Playing on them though I've never noticed any problems personally.

Personally for me I've always been a sony fan but the lack of games I fancied meant I went for the xbox one.

I do have the odd problem with my xbox one where it seems to play up for various reasons: not connecting to internet, kinect signing me on as the wrong person.

According to wiki there's 303 on xbox one and 389 on xbox one.

Best way is to looks at the list of games to see which appeals more and then go on that.

With what ever you go for you'll be happy if I'm honest.

Last edited:
I pay £5 a month for PSN but they do give away some decent free, albeit old games every month

I pay £5 a month for PSN but they do give away some decent free, albeit old games every month

Yeah I did read that somewhere..... so the £5 a month is that a contract type thing or can you just pay when you want. So you might fancy it one month then miss a few etc

I used to do that with the Xbox 360

No it has to be a regular subscription payment, you can pay it all in one go if you like.

But i find it worth it, as each month i get free games for my PS4, PS3 and Vita.

Last edited:
It might also be worth considering PC gaming.

If you already have a reasonably powerful PC for photo editing then adding a reasonable graphics card gives a gaming PC.

We have this at home connected to a 50" screen in the living room. It has a couple of wireless Xbox controllers and is connected to our Steam account.

Games are often much cheaper and graphics are much better. Last week I bought the Missus 11 new games on Steam. Total cost about £30 (Black Friday sales but Steam have sales on all the time).

We also have a dual HD TV tuner in that PC so it's a full on Smart TV, plus it does everything a normal PC does.

Just an option.

It might also be worth considering PC gaming.

If you already have a reasonably powerful PC for photo editing then adding a reasonable graphics card gives a gaming PC.

We have this at home connected to a 50" screen in the living room. It has a couple of wireless Xbox controllers and is connected to our Steam account.

Games are often much cheaper and graphics are much better. Last week I bought the Missus 11 new games on Steam. Total cost about £30 (Black Friday sales but Steam have sales on all the time).

We also have a dual HD TV tuner in that PC so it's a full on Smart TV, plus it does everything a normal PC does.

Just an option.

Yeah I play the odd game on my laptop its no gaming machine but its fairly OK it has an i7 CPU - 8GB RAM - and its 64-bit the graphics card is a Nvida Gforce GT 630m plus another graphic card and the games I have put on it work well but I suppose seeing as I work on here all the time I don't really want to play on here to so having somewhere else to play an odd game was attractive.

Ahh just re-read what you said about connecting to the living room. How do you do that ? do you move the PC/Laptop there or is it streaming somehow ?

Last edited:
For me I use a second PC. I tend to buy a complete new PC about once every 4 years and always very high spec as it's for work. I then use my old PC as an over the top media system in the living room.

The system in my living room has an i7 920 processor, 12gb of ram and a GTX 650ti. It has 2 SSd's, one for OS and one for games, then two further hard drives of which one is just for recorded TV. I find this ample for everything I need it to do.

It's also fine for a little photo editing (as CS is licensed for 2 PC's anyway) but not great at editing video.

I built a dedicated system for a relative about 6 months ago that could do everything (gaming, editing, TV, etc) for about £650. Sounds a lot compared to a console but once you factor in the cost difference between a smart and non-smart TV (a PC is MUCH better) and the relative cheapness of PC games it works out very good.

Yeah certainly seems a good idea - thanks

Its something I need to think about which is why I started this thread. It will come to the time to buy something and knowing me I will buy some more photo gear instead :wacky:

I asked loads of people about this before getting my kids Christmas presents sorted. Pretty much everyone I asked said PS4 hardware was better so ended up going with them

I have an xbox 360 at the moment which is now faulty and not been used in ages so I was thinking of maybe getting a new console after Christmas

I have looked at reviews and they both seem good and I see they both now have paid for membership online which is no use to me really as I usually prefer to play on my own (to many weirdos)

I have read the PS4 is more powerful on paper and someone told me its slightly more reliable and a lad who works in Game ( I used to) told me he would go for the PS4

But I just want to ask on here which is the better console ?

Which is more reliable ?

Which has more games ?

For me personally, I would go for the PS4. I've seen both consoles at a mates house and he sold his xb1 this year and bought a PS4. Best purchase he's made :)

It is like saying Canon vs Nikon like someone has already said.
Both consoles are similar in graphic and hardware. Both consoles have great games solely for that console. (Can't remember the exact word lol).

Which has cheaper games?
Both consoles sell games at more or less the same price. Of course you could look for deals on either new or second hand games.

I'll be buying a PS4 for the larger 'RAM eating' games. I struggle with high graphics and sometimes LR5 operates slowly ocassionally as I think I need more RAM, even though I have 8GBs.
I have an AMD 280x Sapphire GPU.

Thanks David that is useful yeah IF I do buy a console I think a PS4 seems the way to go. It will be a change as I had the Xbox then the xbox 360 but I did originally have the PS1 years back

I'll be buying a PS4 for the larger 'RAM eating' games. I struggle with high graphics and sometimes LR5 operates slowly ocassionally as I think I need more RAM, even though I have 8GBs.
I have an AMD 280x Sapphire GPU.

lightroom and gaming have 2 completely separate requirements.

LR needs fast CPU and disk, not so much RAM (about 2-3gb seems to be its limit). gaming fast GPU all the way, CPU not so much, ram i would think 8 should cope. the recommended for something like BF4 is 8 which is supposed to be a complete memory hog.

Last edited:
I own both and can say that both are great consoles in their own right. But I play on the PS4 way more than I play on the Xbox One. With the previous generation of consoles I was a total Xbox fanboy.

With the new generation of consoles I personally think the PS4 is the Pure gamers console and the Xbox One is more of an all in ONE media centre. I think the Xbox One has too many unnecessary gimmicky features rather than concentrating all of it power on pure gaming.

You also have the advantage of the ability to upgrade the internal storage on the PS4 without voiding the warranty. Xbox only gives you the option to connect a external HDD.

And if, like me, you like to record some of your game plays to later upload to YouTube or Facebook, then PS4 allows you to capture 15 mins at a time where as the Xbox only allows you to capture 5 mins.

Also as someone else mentioned Xbox have more exclusive games than the PS4 but in my personal opinion the quality of the PS4 exclusives are far better. The Last of Us and Infamous Second Son would be more than enough reason for me to pick the PS4 over the Xbox One. But it all depends on the type of games you like to play.

Just one other thing. The PS4 has outsold the Xbox One in almost every country it's been released in since it was released, right up until the recent Black Friday sales where there was a rise in Xbox sales.

I own both and can say that both are great consoles in their own right. But I play on the PS4 way more than I play on the Xbox One. With the previous generation of consoles I was a total Xbox fanboy.

With the new generation of consoles I personally think the PS4 is the Pure gamers console and the Xbox One is more of an all in ONE media centre. I think the Xbox One has too many unnecessary gimmicky features rather than concentrating all of it power on pure gaming.

You also have the advantage of the ability to upgrade the internal storage on the PS4 without voiding the warranty. Xbox only gives you the option to connect a external HDD.

And if, like me, you like to record some of your game plays to later upload to YouTube or Facebook, then PS4 allows you to capture 15 mins at a time where as the Xbox only allows you to capture 5 mins.

Also as someone else mentioned Xbox have more exclusive games than the PS4 but in my personal opinion the quality of the PS4 exclusives are far better. The Last of Us and Infamous Second Son would be more than enough reason for me to pick the PS4 over the Xbox One. But it all depends on the type of games you like to play.

Just one other thing. The PS4 has outsold the Xbox One in almost every country it's been released in since it was released, right up until the recent Black Friday sales where there was a rise in Xbox sales.

Just what I needed someone with both so no brand loyalty (y) but what you said echoes what I have read and been told so far.

I to also had the Xbox 360 and enjoyed it but the PS4 does look like the console to buy. I just need a good deal, maybe wait until after Christmas to see if prices drop

Last edited:
I got the PS4 top bundle from Game. £399 and it was the console, COD, The Last of US, and FIFA and 1 year PSN. I played COD and completed it in a day and then played the Last of US for a while, got bored. Set up FIFA and got into it for a while. I now play DC Universe Online and I'm hooked. I used to play Lineage II on PC years ago so this suits me. I often find that time is a factor with anything and it's an expensive thing to buy if you don't have the time for it.

I preferred the XBOX 360 before and sold my PS3, but now I prefer the PS4. My bro has both and says the same thing. You'll get your titles that sit on both but that's always going to happen. The problem I find with consoles is the amount of updates they need. There's not a time that goes by that's there's not an update needed. A right pain to be honest.

I like COD and battlefield but I don't get all the hype around them. They are always to short, it seems game play length has been sacrificed for better graphics and all the emphasis on online play

Years back (80's) there would have been riots if games only lasted a day but these days it seems the norm and accepted - £50 for a few days (or a days) play

I like COD and battlefield but I don't get all the hype around them. They are always to short, it seems game play length has been sacrificed for better graphics and all the emphasis on online play

Years back (80's) there would have been riots if games only lasted a day but these days it seems the norm and accepted - £50 for a few days (or a days) play

Yes it is a bit of a joke to be honest. I love to play the Call of Duty online but I also like to play their campaign mode before I start on the online mode. The recent Call of Duty Advanced Warfare took me 6 hours and 20 mins to complete the campaign. I was a bit Pee'd off to say the least.

But I get hours upon hours use out of the multiplayer so it's not all bad.

Advanced Warfare is a joke. It's just another COD game and the same old sh!te. It gets repetitive on multiplayer. You get points for killing the enemy and buying new equipment and then more points for killing the enemy and then buying more new equipment etc. The lag can be a bit of a problem too. Also the campaign doesn't get longer than 6-8 hours which I hated on all of the releases.

I stopped buying COD when Ghost came out and I'm glad I didn't buy any more.

Games require updates no matter which platform you play on. Just don't buy games which are in the Alpha or Beta stage on the PC!

One game I loved when I first got the Xbox 360 was chrome hounds. It came with the Xbox as a deal and you controlled big MECH robots. Some were snipers some for bombardment and it was great fun and the battlefields were massive.... you could fire a volley of shots and it would take ages to land as the battle ground was so big

But they never made anything else like that that I am aware of just loads and loads of COD type games

One game I loved when I first got the Xbox 360 was chrome hounds. It came with the Xbox as a deal and you controlled big MECH robots. Some were snipers some for bombardment and it was great fun and the battlefields were massive.... you could fire a volley of shots and it would take ages to land as the battle ground was so big

But they never made anything else like that that I am aware of just loads and loads of COD type games

Not quite the same, but if mechs are your thing then you might like Titanfall. But it's Xbox/pc exclusive.

I find it a very fun game to play with friends but I get bored quite quickly when I play it alone.

#Titanfail

Back