Which Lee CPL?

If you are just shooting landscapes, I'd go for the cheaper one.

If you are using a 21mm Zeiss T * lens ( like I do) on a FF body then I would use the 105mm a Heliopan Ultra Thin CPL - not tried the Lee landscape CPL but everybody I know who uses the other Lee CPL 105mm filter are getting vignetting on that particular Zeiss lens - so why risk it ?! Either way you will need the Lee adapter for the 105mm and to have only one slot available for grad filters behind it.
Hope this helps
James

The slimmer the better. As previously mentioned a thinner filter reduces vignetting on ultra wide lenses. As for the warming effect, I don't see the point. Most serious landscape photographers who are willing to drop £175 for a CP-L will more than likely shoot in raw and the warming effect is irelevant, as the same effect can be created in post.

I've looked into this very same question. You have 4 choices IMO

Heliopan 105mm
Heliopan 105mm slim
Lee 105mm
Lee landscape 105mm

From my research, using a Lee filter holder on a FF body the Heliopan will vignette around 21mm with the slim version taking this to 18-19.

The Lee is similar, vignetting at 20 or below but the new Landscape won't vignette at 17mm according to Lee!!

Watch this for Lee's comments on their new CPL at the Photokina 204 show
http://www.karltaylorphotography.co.uk/blog/lee-filters/
(Jump to 50 seconds in to avoid the blurb!)

It has a slight warming effect which, as Peter says, I'm not sure how that'll really help for those in RAW but might help with JPGs straight out of the camera.

Put it this way, I don't think I'm going to be able to pick up a second hand CPL (any of the above) at a decent price ( I missed one last month on here as I hadn't done enough research at the time) so I'm 99% set on the new Lee Landscape CPL.

Thanks, I was happy to go with the Lee Landscape CPL

I was hoping the video might ask the question, who would buy the original CPL? is there any actual benefit to the more expensive thicker CPL? because if not, what's the point.

Dan, I can't see any reason for buying the original CPL - especially when you look at the price. Looking at photos of the two, the original might offer slightly more protection as the front metal rim looks deeper/more substantial

I've tried searching for reviews/comparisons of the landscape vs original versions but as it's so new I haven't seen any as yet.

Sigma also makes a very high quality multi-coated CPL in 105mm.

The main plus point of the Lee wide angle CPL is the ability to go on the wider lens. The polarisation effect, exposure, etc are all similar.
It leaves a very slightly "warmer" effect too.
From a technical aspect the original one is technically more neutral.
George.

Is the use of a polariser with an ultrawide lens actually useful. I was led to believe it wasnt because the effect varies significantly across the frame?

Is the use of a polariser with an ultrawide lens actually useful. I was led to believe it wasnt because the effect varies significantly across the frame?

That's if you've got a vast amount of sky in a landscape orientation.

If you're taking the shot in portrait orientation, or do not have a lot of sky or are looking to remove glare from water/grass/leaves - then it's not a problem

Last edited:

Sometimes you can get a patchy blue effect with a very wide lens that may not be ideal, but it's not always obvious or detrimental. Depends on the angle to the sun, usually worst when the sun is low, and the scene, clouds etc. You can moderate the effect of the polariser with rotation, or just take it off. Mine usually stays on :)

I've looked into this very same question. You have 4 choices IMO

Heliopan 105mm
Heliopan 105mm slim
Lee 105mm
Lee landscape 105mm
It's hard to leave B&W out of the mix when discussing quality filters....their multi-coated Kaseman is excellent on a Lee adapter.

Bob

I have the Sigma on a crop camera I can get 14mm with 2 filter slots, I watched the new Lee review and admit I am tempted

My concers

Getting the thin filter off the holder
Will it break the glass more easily
As mentioned above even getting the sun on my side sky colour effect may mean 14-16mm any way

Allan

Bought the new Lee Landscape filter and I'm very impressed. No vignetting at 16mm, the widest I would shoot at the moment. Temperature is slightly different but easy to adjust if required.

Sometimes you can get a patchy blue effect with a very wide lens that may not be ideal, but it's not always obvious or detrimental. Depends on the angle to the sun, usually worst when the sun is low, and the scene, clouds etc. You can moderate the effect of the polariser with rotation, or just take it off. Mine usually stays on :)

Richard,

I discovered a reasonably easy way to remove uneven polarisation with wide-angle lenses, using the radial filter in Lightroom v5. I'm sure it can be done in other software too.

See this post - http://wp.me/p2BFlt-9w

Wax On

2014%2B-%2B1

Wax Off

DSC_0029.JPG

Well decided i am ordering the Heliopan must be mad but would like the thinner frame so looks as if i will sell the Sigma multi coated as a part fns for the new one

Expensive game Photography :)

For my birthday I get my 4th CPL :) a drop in for my 200mm ..

can one have too many cpls..

I've just bought a Lee Landscape CPL and going to take it out for a test on the Welsh waterfalls on Wednesday or Thursday - I look forward to it!

Looks like there is a very small amount, but nothing that can't be removed in post. Cheers for that!

I've just bought a Lee Landscape CPL and going to take it out for a test on the Welsh waterfalls on Wednesday or Thursday - I look forward to it!
I've just ordered mine too!

I was out on Saturday and kept on having to adjust to 20-21 on my lens after getting vignetting so I've bitten the bullet.

I got the 10% discount and should get 8% cash back from Quidco too which makes the price more palatable. ;)

Back