Which Professional Would You Like to be Apprentice to?

Name
Tracey
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone, Happy New Year!

I have been following the thread about who you would all like to take photographs of and this idea popped into my head.

There is only one person for me - Annie Leibovitz. I have many of her books and find her work inspirational and thought provoking. Not sure how she would take to my 450d though!!

So, who would you all choose and why?

Best wishes,

Tracey

Would have to be Joe Cornish for me... local too, so I wouldn't need to travel too far to work. :p

David Noton or Joe Cornish. Both beautifully artistic in their work!

Alan Sugar with two lumps.:bonk:

surely you could pick someone with better business sense lol

I'd pick no one because I don't have anyone I would like to learn from photographically - processing now there is where the art is made.

Hi everyone, Happy New Year!

I have been following the thread about who you would all like to take photographs of and this idea popped into my head.

There is only one person for me - Annie Leibovitz. I have many of her books and find her work inspirational and thought provoking. Not sure how she would take to my 450d though!!

So, who would you all choose and why?

Best wishes,

Tracey

Hi Rob,

Hehe, i actually meant just to learn her photography skills; might not be so keen on the business management side of things though!:cautious:

Hope all is well with you out there; stay safe.

what you mean earn your reputation from a few lucky shots early in your career lol

Well I love 2 genres...for wildlife, it'd have to be Andy Rouse; I have all his books and his work IMHO is awesome and the standard is what I'd like to aspire to...

Secondly, landscapes would like to be taught by either Charlie Waite or Joe Cornish. Their work and vision is breathtaking. :)

I have seen a few pros that I thought I would like to learn from but for the life of me I cant remember there names.

One person I would love to be able to shadow and learn from is our very own Stan The Man, why? well when I saw this picture it simply blew me away and I would love to eventually be able to take pictures like that

Any of the following:

James Nachtwey, Christopher Morris, Stanley Green, Pep Bonet, Jan Grarup, Philip Blenkinsop, Yuri Kozyrev, Phillip Jones Griffiths, Robert Capa etc...

If I wanted to to sport then probably Bob Martin or Vincent Laforet (although I don't like his blog anymore since he's gone all video).

Either of the following :
Pennie Smith, Jill Furmanovsky, Danny North, Andrew Kendall, Nick Knight and Mario Testino

Another huge Bob Carlos Clarke fan here :)

If I had to choose a living photographer, David Beckstead or Jerry Ghionis.

I already have the skill of Annie Leibovitz as I too can copy other peoples work and say it's mine

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8240403.stm

Hmm, interesting that this claim appeared at the same time the high profile case with Art Capital was to be held. I guess we must wait to see the outcome as there doesn't appear to have been any developments since.

Liebovitz is not the first person, and certainly won't be the last, to have not engaged with suitable professionals to ensure that the vast sums earned from a talent were invested and managed properly.

Hmmm so many. Artistically it would be Jerry Uellsmann. However failing that James Nachtwey, Joel Sternfeld, Garry Winogrand and sooooo many more!

Who are all these people? Its the same with the who is your inspiration threads or who do you look up to threads and all manner of threads like this.. Its just a load of names I have never heard of.. where do you find these people..

Honestly and truthfully I have never heard of a single person listed in this thread so far.

Who are all these people? Its the same with the who is your inspiration threads or who do you look up to threads and all manner of threads like this.. Its just a load of names I have never heard of.. where do you find these people..

Honestly and truthfully I have never heard of a single person listed in this thread so far.

I've found a lot of different photographers just through a mention of their name on this forum :D Try googling some....you might like them!

Hmm, interesting that this claim appeared at the same time the high profile case with Art Capital was to be held. I guess we must wait to see the outcome as there doesn't appear to have been any developments since.

Liebovitz is not the first person, and certainly won't be the last, to have not engaged with suitable professionals to ensure that the vast sums earned from a talent were invested and managed properly.

According to documents filed in Manhattan federal court , Annie Leibovitz is zooming toward a $300,000 settlement say the New York Post

Saw that article Mark, but nothing seems to have been published since.

Ethically inappropriate if it is true of course, but i would imagine that $300,000 is considered loose change compared to the amount that has been deferred by Art Capital!

Books :) You remember those, paper things stuck together with glue. :thinking:

I've been buying books since I was in my teens. If I like it, I'll buy it and I have some that are 20 years old now. :puke: Some, such as Ansel Adams and Bob Carlos Clarke were also very, very good printers and took control of the whole process. I suppose it's where photography collides with art in some cases.

Books :) You remember those, paper things stuck together with glue. :thinking:.

Is that what people used before the internet? Yeagh I remember them.. just :)

Yeah, I have a room full of them...................it's actually quite nice to go in there from time to time and just browse without the need for a screen. Quite therapeutic if a tad slower. :)

For me it's an easy choice. Yervant every time.

Pete

Really? I'm so glad the AIPP have finally started giving awards to other people over here. Good businessman to learn from though I guess.

I'd probably just go for someone who's good at the business side of things as well. Photos I can do, it's knowing the best way to pay the rent with them that I find hard.

Saying that, if I can save up enough, I'd like to go on a Vii workshop.

A friend has been on two, one in Cambodia with Gary Knight and Philip Blenkinsop (Ok he's from Noor) and one in Kashmir with Marcus Bleasdale. It would be good to see guys of that standard in action, and to get critique from them.

:LOL: Yes books...lol...
In Ye Olden Days, those were all we had to store information in.

I still have bookshelves stretching across a whole wall filled with them...they make heating the house easier as well as paper is a very good insulator and books have a high paper-content, unlike DVDs which just...don't...

When you look at a book, you see the pictures first, then look to see who took it - with the 'net, you have to know who to look for in advance. It's a bit difficult to type in a search that goes: "that really iconic image that was taken back in the 1960's sometime, of some Hell's Angels sitting round a Harley-Davidson on a canvas groundsheet".

Unless you know it was taken by Irving Penn...

Penn_Irving_HA02.jpg

Photo Trivia: the stripey jumper worn by the guy on the right is one of the garments (there were three similar ones) worn by Lee Marvin in the biker-movie "The Wild Ones" - he bought in an auction of film memorabilia...

3412546494_1748a5bcfc_o.jpg

Really? I'm so glad the AIPP have finally started giving awards to other people over here. Good businessman to learn from though I guess.

Well I'm inspired by his work, he doesn't win all the awards for nothing ( even the WIPP Album ones which he wins very often. )

Pete

I had to go and look through three pages of Bob Carlos Clarkes images to find one that was suitable for posting here lol :) He did do some weird stuff but he was a genuine master of composition, lighting and printing. I don't think I've seen too many of his images that didn't provoke some kind of response in me though some of his "Blurred kids snogging in a nightclub" ones did make me think....."Come on Bob, you are much better than that!" ;)

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

Back