Which Wordpress theme?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Looking for a suitable website to display my images, I've got the domain and I've got my own server so I don't need hosting, but I'm struggling to find a suitable programme to use.
I'm okay with Wordpress but everything I've seen looks more like a blog than a photo gallery.
I've tried some templates but don't like how they look and I've tried some of the opensource stuff but they've been too 'clunky'.
I've checked some of the threads here but can't say I've found anything helpful for me.

SO - did you put up a gallery site with Wordpress?
If so please share which theme you found good for a photo rather than blog oriented site.

TIA for helping me.

Last edited:
Quite desperate now, nothing seems to work without issues :bang:
Every time I try to upload pics, IE9 says it can't read the info from the website and it's not uploaded!
Anyone got a good Wordpress gallery working on IE9 please let me know.

Went back to IE8 but still cannot get it to upload images ... says:-

This error (HTTP 406 Not Acceptable) means that Internet Explorer was able to receive information from the website you visited, but the information was not in a format that Internet Explorer can display.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

:bang:

Last edited:
Not sure how you are trying to upload with IE, but the best way to upload to a webserver is use an FTP program I use Filezilla myself

Can't really help with the theme

Having just re read your post you are using a local server surely you could just copy the images to the relevant place on the server with windows explorer or any file explorer tool

The Wordpress installed fine and of course that was done via ftp, (I have several Wordpress non-gallery sites), it was the uploading of photos from within the Wordpress theme that was causing the issues.
Chosing a photo to upload from my laptop went fine but as soon as I attempted to publish the page within Wordpress, it failed with the IE error above ... it seemed that it couldn't complete the page publish with the photo in it for some reason.

Eventually and belatedly decided to dump IE and go with Safari, but there is still an issue with photo uploading from within Wordpress so I don't know what the problem is.
I've since replaced Wordpress with another gallery type script and photo upload and display works fine so I don't know why Wordpress was having issues.

The Wordpress installed fine and of course that was done via ftp, (I have several Wordpress non-gallery sites), it was the uploading of photos from within the Wordpress theme that was causing the issues.
Chosing a photo to upload from my laptop went fine but as soon as I attempted to publish the page within Wordpress, it failed with the IE error above ... it seemed that it couldn't complete the page publish with the photo in it for some reason.

Eventually and belatedly decided to dump IE and go with Safari, but there is still an issue with photo uploading from within Wordpress so I don't know what the problem is.
I've since replaced Wordpress with another gallery type script and photo upload and display works fine so I don't know why Wordpress was having issues.

OK glad you got it sorted (y)

gramps said:
Looking for a suitable website to display my images, I've got the domain and I've got my own server so I don't need hosting, but I'm struggling to find a suitable programme to use.
I'm okay with Wordpress but everything I've seen looks more like a blog than a photo gallery.
I've tried some templates but don't like how they look and I've tried some of the opensource stuff but they've been too 'clunky'.
I've checked some of the threads here but can't say I've found anything helpful for me.

SO - did you put up a gallery site with Wordpress?
If so please share which theme you found good for a photo rather than blog oriented site.

TIA for helping me.

Have you thought about coding your own site?

Microsoft WebMatrix is a good free Dreamweaver style application and there are a number of free HTML/PHP source code site that will give you plenty of ideas and examples of how you can build your own website

Jez

That looks interesting, I assume it would be okay hosting the finished product on a Linux server?

gramps said:
That looks interesting, I assume it would be okay hosting the finished product on a Linux server?

Yes, PHP works better on Linux, I was always told :)

Jez

Hi Gramps -

I use the Envisioned theme from Elegant Themes on my site, which is powered by Wordpress. Although I do run a blog through the site, it certainly doesn't look "bloggy" - I use Wordpress as a CMS more than anything else.

I've found the themes at Elegant to be tricky to get to work, but once they're up and running, they do look stunning. It was a steep learning curve, as much for me and Wordpress as anything else, but now I have a website that does everything I want it to.

Cheers Chris, I'll check that out.

Chris how did you deal with the Photoshop files, there doesn't seem to be any detail as to how to incorporate them into the Wordpress and without them the whole theme is rendered out of sync and colour.

Back