Whipsnade Zoo TP meet 15/9/12

• Thread starter Deleted member 29733
  • Start date
Love the tiger shots apart from #2, only because its side on.

That grass was a pain in the ar$e in the lion enclosure wasn't it.

Cheetah's always look laid back. My favourite 'Big Cat'.

Gotta love the last one, beautiful.

Keep 'em coming Gary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys 'n' gals, a few more of my manky photo's

Hi Martin, love the Cheetah shot. The Panda shot is great. If it weren't for the stray branch bottom right that the tree framing the Panda would have been a-maze-ing!

The other two look like they've got a little camera shake in them?

Thanks Gary, yeah it's a shame about that branch.

I think that the butterfly and wolverine shots may have been low shutter speed, will have to go and check on the originals. I was using Ap priority and should probably have used shutter priority.

PS. Just checked and the butterfly was 1/100 and the wolverine 1/320, way to slow SS's. Will defo use shutter priority next time.

AFC said:
Thanks Gary, yeah it's a shame about that branch.

I think that the butterfly and wolverine shots may have been low shutter speed, will have to go and check on the originals. I was using Ap priority and should probably have used shutter priority.

PS. Just checked and the butterfly was 1/100 and the wolverine 1/320, way to slow SS's. Will defo use shutter priority next time.

Yeah, I downloaded the butterfly one to see the EXIF which is why I said. Should have explained, sorry.

Whether right or wrong I normally shoot manual. I won't go below 1/400 (prefer 1/500 or faster) on my lens, even with IS on and I find my lens wide open (5.6) can be a little soft so will be at 6.3 or above. I leave my ISO on auto but limited to 1600 (oh for a pro camera!) as that's about the best my camera can handle. Just need to keep an eye on the exposure meter!

As it was a case of get new camera, pack in bag, go to meet, I just set it to aperture priority, continuous AF and dynamic area. This is how I used to set my D300s for shooting rugby.

Anyway on Sunday I had the time to go through the settings and set it up as I want it.

I spoke to Ingrid about my settings and as she has been shooting wildlife for a while she told me what settings she uses and they seem more adequate for wildlife/zoo shooting.

I pretty much always shoot with a single focus point and control it as needs must. I tend to find otherwise I end up focusing on grass or a tree or something!

I guess a lot comes down to personal preference and equipmment?

I will use single focus point next time out with shutter priority and see what happens.

Its funny because when I was photographing rugby using AP/AV I used to keep my eye on the shutter speed as I didn't want to be below 1/650 and alter the ISO as needed. On Saturday I don't remember looking at the SS.

I felt as if I was a complete beginner Saturday, I don't remember looking at the SS much if at all, it was as if I had forgot everything I had learned and just fired away. STUPID!

When I went to WHF to shoot the big cats the instructor said do this and that but I just stuck to what works for me!

The 400mm was a bit overkill so enjoyed borrowing the 200mm though!

I agree, I normally use what works for me as there is no hard and fast rules.

Some on the net say use AP/AV some say use TP/SP.

I was not thinking what I was doing on Saturday, if I had done that at the rugby club none of my photo's would have made the papers and I certainly wouldn't have sold any.

Gary do use sRGB or Adobe RGB?

AFC said:
I agree, I normally use what works for me as there is no hard and fast rules.

Some on the net say use AP/AV some say use TP/SP.

I was not thinking what I was doing on Saturday, if I had done that at the rugby club none of my photo's would have made the papers and I certainly wouldn't have sold any.

Gary do use sRGB or Adobe RGB?

sRGB...never really learnt what the difference is so steered clear of it :D

Right, I've been thinking about the reflections on the glass at zoo's/wildlife parks.

As we all know it can be a PITA, so the 'lampshades' that cats & dogs wear when they don't want them scratching certain areas on their head, if you were to get one paint/spray it black then put it over the lens and hold it against the glass you could then move you camera from side to side or up and down instead of shooting straight ahead.

Just a thought.

Right, I've been thinking about the reflections on the glass at zoo's/wildlife parks.

As we all know it can be a PITA, so the 'lampshades' that cats & dogs wear when they don't want them scratching certain areas on their head, if you were to get one paint/spray it black then put it over the lens and hold it against the glass you could then move you camera from side to side or up and down instead of shooting straight ahead.

Just a thought.

Yeah, or buy a rubber lens hood from eBay for a fiver, they do the same job!

I left mine in my coat pocket at home!!!

This has turned into the Martin and Gary thread.

I wonder if the others are still checking in or we've scared them off?

Maybe they got bored of all my pictures...probably!!!

This has turned into the Martin and Gary thread.

I wonder if the others are still checking in or we've scared them off?

Maybe they got bored of all my pictures...probably!!!

Not bored or scared just back at work and having to fit things in :crying:

Garry your pictures are stunning, those lynx ones are brilliant (y)

Martin stick srgb, it's the most commonly used
Sorry to sat this but your last set all look a bit OOF to me, are you expecting too much from the lenses you currently have compared to what you had previously, I sometimes use a cheapo sigma 18-200 I have had kicking around for a while and the quality compared with the 70-200 is unbelievably poor

I will use single focus point next time out with shutter priority and see what happens.

Its funny because when I was photographing rugby using AP/AV I used to keep my eye on the shutter speed as I didn't want to be below 1/650 and alter the ISO as needed. On Saturday I don't remember looking at the SS.

I felt as if I was a complete beginner Saturday, I don't remember looking at the SS much if at all, it was as if I had forgot everything I had learned and just fired away. STUPID!

Ingrid, I posted this a couple of posts back.

Work, what's that. Oh, that's where I am!

Thanks Ingrid...oh wait, you're not talking to me, you're talking to GaRRy! Cheers Ingrrid :p

Nikon 55-300mm f4.5-5.6 G AF-S DX VR Lens. £289.00

So it wasn't a cheapo.

I checked the EXIF on my photo's and the shutter speeds were very low so no wonder they came out blurry.

May have to arrange another Whipsnade meet just to do it properly this time.:LOL:

Nikon 55-300mm f4.5-5.6 G AF-S DX VR Lens. £289.00

So it wasn't a cheapo.

I checked the EXIF on my photo's and the shutter speeds were very low so no wonder they came out blurry.

about £1,000 cheaper then the 70/200 so it isn't really going to compare.

I know it wont compare to the 70-200, but what I mean is that it wasn't a £125 cheap Tamron or a £150 Siggy.

I have seen other people using the same lens take some great photo's and I reckon that if I had checked my SS instead of ignoring it then my shots would have come out OK.

dinorock said:
with regards to rgb/srgb. rgb for printing, srgb for display. hth mike.

Hi Mike, when you say printing is that any prints? 6x4s come out looking similar to my screen but canvases not so much...

Hi Mike, when you say printing is that any prints? 6x4s come out looking similar to my screen but canvases not so much...

canvas's are different as you should use a profile supplied by the printing company, i assume you mean ordered canvas from a supplier, not printing at home.also canvas is like printing on matte so will always look different, and maybe even slightly soft "should be viewed from a distance and not close up".

Last edited:
Just catching up.
Nice Lynx set Gary (even if the story board was crap :p)
They do look a tad de-saturated to me though?

Thats none too shabby either Mike (y)

Cobra said:
Just catching up.
Nice Lynx set Gary (even if the story board was crap :p)
They do look a tad de-saturated to me though?

:p

At least I named them so you can't see they are not in order!

De-saturated, I added a little. Some of the shady shots maybe but they looked too fake if I bumped them up too much. Yet to print them so will see how they come out..

Back