Wide Angle Lens

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Really hoping someone can assist, I have a Sigma 8-16mm wide angle lens, I bought it to help me with landscapes. I have never used one before so it's all very new, I tried it today over Chobham common but when I attach my polarising lens you get black corners at certain settings, is this the norm and something that is sorted when editing or am I doing something wrong. Thx

Its pretty common to get this with wide angles and polarisers, something to do with the way the light changes over the filed of view.

steveo_mcg said:
Its pretty common to get this with wide angles and polarisers, something to do with the way the light changes over the filed of view.

Thanks very much for the reply Steve. Glad to hear it's quite common.

Is your polariser too 'thick' for the wide angle? You can get extra-slim ones that help overcome this problems.

Photodiva said:
Is your polariser too 'thick' for the wide angle? You can get extra-slim ones that help overcome this problems.

To be honest I didn't check the thickness but I will now, thx very much

You've got two potential issues.

The first is mechanical vignetting, the edge of the filter showing in the corners of the shot. Ways around that are to get a bigger, or slimmer, polarising filter.

The other issue is a characteristic of using a CPL on an ultrawide lens, the field of view is so great that the lens gets different levels of polarisation across the image, this is particularly evident when the shot contains a blue sky, you can end up with a dark dip in the middle of the image and lighter corners. Ways around this are to back off the polarisation effect, or not use it at such wide angles.

Back