Windows 10

Edit My Images
Yes
A thread is needed. Surprised no one has rubbished it yet. Is it as bad as they say?

Windows 2 you mean? ;)

It'll be hated by most when it comes out, people will spend ages arguing over minutiae and then we'll all grow to like it in 6+ months time.

I've been following the leaks for the last couple of months and I think its got a LOT of potential to satisfy both the legacy users AND the modern UI users.

Thumbs-up from me, and hopefully we'll get the preview tomorrow :)

It'll be hated by most when it comes out, people will spend ages arguing over minutiae and then we'll all grow to like it in 6+ months time.
^^^^ this and you can apply it to nearly anything these days

I haven't seen anyone complaining about it.

Looks good, CLI updates are welcome. Metro apps in windows and tiles in start menu is an all round win as far as I'm concerned. Looking forward to seeing how the continuum stuff works on my Surface Pro.

Windows 2 you mean? ;)

I won't (like it I mean) :D

Virtual Desktops, although a really good feature still need a little bit of work in my opinion, and I can't seem to find a way of moving a window from one desktop to another as yet, without the obvious forcing it to be on-screen and moving it to the second screen.

On another note, I've found that Windows 10 supports using my laptop as a 3rd screen, whereas 7 and 8/8.1 did not. Strange as I thought this was limited to the Dell Dock...

downloading the preview from msdn. something to break up a boring friday :D
Likeise. Whether it will ever finish downloading on our basic ADSL (8Mbps) shared around the whole office is another matter. Last OS DVD image I downloaded took three attempts, probably not helped by people streaming music at the same time :p. I got it to complete in the end by starting it going at 8am so it finished before most people arrived...

Looking forward to using 10 when released next year along with IE 12... Silver surfer and have a laptop with windows 8.1 .....Downloading all updates when available.

i like the look straight off the bat. even in a low spec VM its snappy.
Mine didn't finish downloading by lunchtime when I finished for the weekend (claiming some time of in lieu due to time spent patching bash across servers evenings and last weekend) so will have to have a look on Monday if not too busy.

I'll need to install it directly onto something rather than in a VM as I want to test USB support and I don't want it to be affected by the hypervisor.

Ive been using an old Acer laptop with Windows Vista installed :coat:

Luckily, I have a new one winging its way to me at the moment (y)

I had a quick play before I left work this evening. It looks like the love child of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

odd, mine was done in a few mins.
Not that odd, it's a 4GB download and we are on ADSLMax, which means about 600KBps if no-one is trying to stream music or whatever.

A 90 minute download would have been about as good as I could expect, but as people turned up for in the office the throughput tumbled.

Playing with the multiple workspaces :) . Nice that Windows has finally caught up with something I have on FVWM way back when....
On the basis of the TP so far though, this could be worth upgrading to (from W7).

It's a shame that (at least in the 64bit version) the Virtualbox additions graphics drivers don't work yet

I had a quick play before I left work this evening. It looks like the love child of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

IMO that's a very good thing.

Looks good so far as I can tell. Like all versions though (and unlike Mac OS) it will be customisable by 3rd party apps anyway. I love Win8 once Start 8 is installed, so I see nothing here but good things with Windows 10.

Not sure what bad things the OP has read. I've been seeing mainly positive feedback.

I don't.

I quite like pinning my twitter feed to the side of a monitor, and a few other bits.

Main annoyance is that you can't use windows libraries with a NAS. Total pain in the back side as I quite like the media player.

Allegedly, the reason for skipping 9 was this surprisingly common, nasty little code snippet :
You missed the next part of the code

Then...BSOD, forced restart, won't boot, forced reinstallation, reset time for 30 days.

To be honest if windows 10 is as bad as 8 I wouldnt bother. Stick with Windows 7, stable and does what it says on the tin lol.

Indeed Neil, by installing the TP you are agreeing to provide MS with feedback.
They do tell you not to use it as your main O/S...

But worth installing non the less, to explore the new features, see if the S/W you need will work (and give MS a heads up if it doesn't).

I would use it for reading Talk Photography, I wouldn't use it for doing my internet banking...

edited due to my inability to type "the" correctly.

Last edited:
To be honest if windows 10 is as bad as 8 I wouldnt bother. Stick with Windows 7, stable and does what it says on the tin lol.

why is windows 8 so bad? from metro you can get to desktop by clicking 1 tile, and then its pretty much windows 7, but without a start button

why is windows 8 so bad? from metro you can get to desktop by clicking 1 tile, and then its pretty much windows 7, but without a start button
Windows 8 / 8.1 isn't bad, it's just different.
It makes sense on a touch screen device, but mouse driven, it just doesn't, and apps taking the whole display is plain annoying when you are used to multiple programs open at the same time.
Kudos to MS for trying something new, but even more kudos to them for admitting that it needed improving.

Windows 8 / 8.1 isn't bad, it's just different.
It makes sense on a touch screen device, but mouse driven, it just doesn't, and apps taking the whole display is plain annoying when you are used to multiple programs open at the same time.
Kudos to MS for trying something new, but even more kudos to them for admitting that it needed improving.

Couldn't agree more, as opposed to just branding it bad like a lot people....

Anyway, my Windows 10 teething problems are beginning to hit critical-mass :( I think Windows 10 has a problem with the hybrid graphics of my Precision M4800 or at least the driver as getting all kinds of graphical annoyances, even switched it to Integrated Intel all the time, but still get the problem. Need to test further but will not be happy if I have to rollback to 8.1 :(

On another note, using the Windows Server 10 Technical Preview at work on one of our redundant servers and noticed Network Access Protection has gone AWOL!! Quite glad I never deployed it and relied upon hardware appliances to do that job!

I've been using Windows 10 TP in a virtualbox.
Seems to play nicely so far, except that even at 4.3.16, the virtualbox graphics addons error with code37 (at least under a 64bit install).
The MS graphics driver works well enough, except no option to go widescreen. Still, that's not an MS issue, Oracle need to update their 'additions' to support Windows 10, which I'm sure they will soon enough.

Been trying win10 out on a Fusion drive on my Mac, and I like it, I always found Win8 a tad fussy, as though they tried a bit too hard, and overcomplicated things, Win10 seems to go back to a cleaner interface, making it more easier and intuitive to navigate.

Don't think it will be attractive enough to want me to migrate from Mac OS, but it does look promising.

Couldn't agree more, as opposed to just branding it bad like a lot people....

Anyway, my Windows 10 teething problems are beginning to hit critical-mass :( I think Windows 10 has a problem with the hybrid graphics of my Precision M4800 or at least the driver as getting all kinds of graphical annoyances, even switched it to Integrated Intel all the time, but still get the problem. Need to test further but will not be happy if I have to rollback to 8.1 :(

On another note, using the Windows Server 10 Technical Preview at work on one of our redundant servers and noticed Network Access Protection has gone AWOL!! Quite glad I never deployed it and relied upon hardware appliances to do that job!
I hope you're providing lots and lots of feedback to MS - after all, that's the whole point of them releasing this unfinished, nowhere-near-beta, don't-run-it-on-anything-you-care-about Technical Preview :)

I have two instances installed - one on an elderly Vaio that I use as a sofa-surfer, and the other safely chained up in a Hyper-V dungeon. The Vaio spontaneously bluescreens from time to time. I haven't taken the time to dig into which driver is kicking it over, although I probably should. One for a wet weekend, methinks.

MS are getting a tonne of feedback, I've been involved in Microsoft's ignite programmes since Windows 7 where we were flown to Munich for an overview of 7's features as well as a 2 day lecture from MS as to what information they require from pre-release testers. If I don't participate or contribute the information then future participation on such programmes is unlikely.

My personal laptop is still running 8.1, as basing all of my personal data on a pre-release platform would be a potentially high-risk venture.

Back