Windows 11 my thoughts and ramblings...

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
So curiosity got the better of me this morning, and I decided to have a look at W11...

Not being super techy (I can build a PC though), I`ll share my thoughts for people that might care ;)

Download and installation went smoothly, and after another update, with fingers crossed, all my apps are working as they should.
All my original setting have been saved.
I did revert the taskbar icons back to the left though, as I didn`t care for the centre layout.

Photoshop CC (latest update) Runs fine, and seems to load much faster.
Capture One 2020 Same as PS

Steam (yeah I know, old gamer), updates, and runs fine.
Sonos had a little bit of a hissy fit, but sorted itself out, and works fine again now.

Brave browser and all bookmarks are as was.
Thunderbird email is fine.

So pretty much everything I`m using is all good so far.

Still having a look around at different bits, but nowhere as daunting as I first thought it would be.

I'm just this moment installing it, waited a while until the worst bugs got ironed out.

All done, moved the task bar back where it should be. Otherwise seems no different.

Last edited:
I’ve updated my laptop this week. Came with an M.2 SSD but also had room for a 2.5” drive so fitted a 1TB SSD in the space. I’ve also replaced the original 2x4Gb SODIMMS with 2x16Gb ones I had going spare. Been running Windows 11 on it with no issues to date.

Being a Mac user for many years I’ve left the taskbar in the middle.

Last edited:
its an ok product to be fair, the problem with it is its not a big update on w10.
I really think w10 has been the best OS so far by a mile.
The odd situation is the fact MS are forcing the technology by refusing to support old but very capable kit and that is a bit sad.
my low power xeon pc that i run PLEX and NAS based stuff is running ten year old cpu, mobo and ram with SSDs and is still superbly fast and power efficent but not a chance according to MS.

I had Windows 11 on for a short while but didn't like the lack of, er, actions in the action centre. On W10 at the moment I have 17 options half of which I use regularly but in W11 there were very few and some of the ones I used aren't there. There were a few other niggles that, if they'd given me a couple of months before cutting me off from W10, I might have got used to and accepted, but MS are forcing me to make my decision based on 10 days trial before the option to revert is lost and that isn't enough. I have no doubt I will move to W11 in the next few months during which time there will be some changes of which the most likely is the default position of the task bar options going back to the left.

Oh yes, another thing that annoyed me, but would have been easily fixed, was that my wallpaper was removed and I couldn't be arsed to try to find the image I had been using as it was quicker to revert to W10.

Just forced my Dell laptop with 'unsuitable' CPU to upgrade with this.
Things seem to open and alt+tab faster, some decent improvements in layout once start moved back to left.
Nothing negative so far

W11 will install on pretty much anything if you run it from the MS ISO which you can get from themselves FOC.
The issue is they say that once a certain date gets reached they will sop updates for non-compliant devices

W11 will install on pretty much anything if you run it from the MS ISO which you can get from themselves FOC.
The issue is they say that once a certain date gets reached they will sop updates for non-compliant devices
Is that date earlier or later than the W10 EOL?

Last edited:
I had Windows 11 on for a short while but didn't like the lack of, er, actions in the action centre. On W10 at the moment I have 17 options half of which I use regularly but in W11 there were very few and some of the ones I used aren't there. There were a few other niggles that, if they'd given me a couple of months before cutting me off from W10, I might have got used to and accepted, but MS are forcing me to make my decision based on 10 days trial before the option to revert is lost and that isn't enough. I have no doubt I will move to W11 in the next few months during which time there will be some changes of which the most likely is the default position of the task bar options going back to the left.

Oh yes, another thing that annoyed me, but would have been easily fixed, was that my wallpaper was removed and I couldn't be arsed to try to find the image I had been using as it was quicker to revert to W10.

I reckon it must install differently on different computers then. Because my DT background came up, no problems. Also the taskbar thing is a quick fix to get it back to the LHS ;)

A question to those who have upgraded from Win 10 what ( if any) benefits are you seeing in terms of overall performance in particular with LR/PS and general browsing?

A question to those who have upgraded from Win 10 what ( if any) benefits are you seeing in terms of overall performance in particular with LR/PS and general browsing?
For me PS loads faster than before (or at least it seems to).
I don't use lightroom, so can't say on that front.
General browsing with Brave, is pretty much as before with W10.
It's actually not that much different.

I haven't noticed much difference in speed. On recent AMD hardware it is all still quite fast not to have to think about it. It just looks way better than win10, but there are rough edges. I can't see no reason not to upgrade.

I haven't noticed much difference in speed. On recent AMD hardware it is all still quite fast not to have to think about it. It just looks way better than win10, but there are rough edges. I can't see no reason not to upgrade.

I haven't yet taken the plunge - what is it like for colour space management. Still as lousy as W10?

Just forced my Dell laptop with 'unsuitable' CPU to upgrade with this.
I quite liked it but after it updated again problems crept in, (laptop) volume audible and was set on 50% but it said it was muted but a more troubling issue every time it woke from sleep my security cam software 'forgot' a camera quite inexplicable but never happened on W10.
So after a bout a week I reverted which was much faster than installing - not sure how long you have to choose this.
It wanted to downgrade google drive (something else that was better on W11) otherwise nothing seemed amiss

I haven't yet taken the plunge - what is it like for colour space management. Still as lousy as W10?
Just do it. Colour management is largely the same, but I've been having far less occurrences of incorrectly loaded profile after waking up

One thing I do like, is the ability to turn off (hide) the desktop icons. Not even sure if that was available in W10 or not , but my PC looks super tidy now ;)

I have had it for a week now and so far so good.
It is certainly at lot quicker than before but so far only one niggle I used Edge with Google as a search engine. With win 11 I was having to log on to google every time seems a bit of a sneaky way to get you to use Bing,

I have had it for a week now and so far so good.
It is certainly at lot quicker than before but so far only one niggle I used Edge with Google as a search engine. With win 11 I was having to log on to google every time seems a bit of a sneaky way to get you to use Bing,

That seems like a real pita... I use Brave, and have no issues with having google as my main search engine.

well i decided in the end to build a small NUC i have sitting about as it passed al the W11 requirements and I have been wanting to see how it runs PLEX and a few other things as an always on device to replace my old low power xeon setup which isnt w11 certified and i have to say pretty much everything is working really nice, seems stable and much faster than w10 given the very low power CPU is has in it, AMD Ryzen Embedded R1505G with Radeon Vega Gfx 2.40 GHz

Out of interest, for those using W11, are you finding it faster just opening applications, or are the apps themselves running more quickly? I'm wondering whether it might speed up processing a bit, or whether it's simply caching/pre-fetching commonly used packages to give the appearance of faster working.

From using it for a limited time it is quicker to start , LR/PS load quicker , one difference I am noticing albeit with limited use is the masking function in LR seems quicker and smoother.
I am running it on an HP laptop with 8gb RAM which struggled a bit on win 10 such that I was considering upgrading to 16gb RAM but so far it seems to be OK with 8gb but its early days so I am reserving judgement on that

Wish they would sort out the issue with clocks on multiple monitors. It's like Microsoft haven't heard of people using more than one screen....

(In the meantime, elevenclock from the app store works just fine)

One thing I do like, is the ability to turn off (hide) the desktop icons. Not even sure if that was available in W10 or not , but my PC looks super tidy now ;)
It was, I have always done that even with XP and 7 - access desktop from a fly up toolbar in taskbar.

It was, I have always done that even with XP and 7 - access desktop from a fly up toolbar in taskbar.

That`s what I do too. But never realised in W10 or earlier versions. Same as changing the mouse pointer colour (I kept losing it on white BG`s, so now got Yoda green haha)

To turn off (hide) desktop icons in win 10 you would right click on the desktop > select view > click on show desktop icons to remove the tick mark.

Wish they would sort out the issue with clocks on multiple monitors. It's like Microsoft haven't heard of people using more than one screen....

(In the meantime, elevenclock from the app store works just fine)

I use two monitors and there are definitely bugs. Despite following all the relevant instructions from various sites I cannot get the task bar to function on a second monitor. Microsoft Flight Simulator and Elite Dangerous spill over into the second monitor and move any windows open there partially off the screen.

I have noticed no change in the speed of anything although I am running an 8 core, 3.0 GHz Intel i7 with 16GB of RAM so it may be that my system was already capable of running anything Microsoft can throw at it in the medium term as fast as it can be run.

We have, between the two of us a Surface Pro 6 and a Surface Go 2 as well as the PC, all of them are now updated to Windows 11 without seemingly any adverse effects apart from the above. Seems stable to me but can't say I've noticed any significant difference anywhere on the applications that I run.

Does anyone know if Windows 11 has sorted the WiFi Hotspot throttling issue? I've got a WiFi 6 card built into my MB which is capable of the 160MHz channel, but Windows only gives options for Auto and 20MHz in Device Manager.

For me it's relevant for connecting VR via WiFi to the computer for streaming as it will only give a link speed of under 100Mbps by default. There is a workaround which is to connect your phone first then disconnect and connect the VR and it will unlock the full speed, but it's something that shouldn't be necessary and apparently a known glitch with Windows 10.

Also, can Windows WiFi scanning be turned off in Windows 11? I can only do it in Windows 10 via a batch script, which again is an inconvenience.

Wish I could help gman but for me you could be speaking in Klingon :)

i'm realy liking the cut copy paste toolbar at the top of the file windows, i do a lot of files work and that is just so obvious an update why not before?

Wish I could help gman but for me you could be speaking in Klingon :)

I only recently learned the language! haha It's all a moot point now as I stuck two fingers up at Windows and their buggy Hotspot and got an ASUS AX5400. Getting a solid 1200Mbps link speed now, full bandwidth and a latency of 5ms so very happy.

I've been running W11 on various Computers and workstations with no problems at all and also inside a few Virtual Machines using VirtualBox.
I install it using a hack explained on my YouTube channel.
So far they all update with no problems at all - in fact I'm posting this inside a virtual machine running on a Z800 workstation with W11 installed
Apart from Windows 7 it's definitely my favourite OS.

Sonos had a little bit of a hissy fit, but sorted itself out, and works fine again now.
When you say Sonos had a toys out of the pram moment, what did you do to overcome it?

Anyone know if bootcamp can handle W11?

so far so good with me, i have 2x machines running it, both super low power devices that run PLEX and a shared NAS service that are on 24x365 and everything is working just fine.
w11 just seems to tick along quite nicely

Anyone know if bootcamp can handle W11?
I forced it through on '14 MBP using all sorts of workarounds. All looked good until I unplugged power cable. It causes instant BSOD and it doesn't even save minidump for investigation. Your mileage may vary.

When you say Sonos had a toys out of the pram moment, what did you do to overcome it?
As far as I can remember/ It was just a case of re-installing the app. Connected up and remembered everything. Hasn`t missed a beat since (y)

Back