Critique Winter Robin

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Last one from my weekend in Wales.

A lovely (to me!) Robin Redbreast this time.

Same as the previous 3. Heavy crop, but personally my favourite of the 4 from the impromptu snowed in bird shoot.

As before anything anyone you would like to add regarding crop/processing?

Settings for those interested and possibly of use for critique purposes.

200mm (300mm equivalent APSc)
f6.4
1/200s
ISO 1250

Winter Robin (Erithacus Rubecula).jpg by Lost_Manc, on Flickr

Wow I like that. Your crop looks great to me plus giving plenty of room for the robin.
The background works well too. Very Christmassy.

Very Christmassy! Excellent ;)

That's a lovely picture Rob.

As you asked :D I personally would probably put the bird a touch more central as there's nothing really on the RHS.

Lovely detail and colour and perfect DoF on the bird. Well taken Rob :D

"Excellent" wildlife style capture Rob, well framed & nicely presented.

That's a lovely picture Rob.

As you asked :D I personally would probably put the bird a touch more central as there's nothing really on the RHS.

Lovely detail and colour and perfect DoF on the bird. Well taken Rob :D
Thanks Alan.

Agonised over the crop tbh. Must have tweaked it far too many times! Settled (for now at least) on this one. Will revisit at a later date I think and see how I feel.

DoF has been aided with a bit of clarity and texture reduction. Fake it til you can afford it!

Looks good, Rob (y)

I do like the BG colours.

If I was being picky, I'd probably trim a little from the left and bottom and if you have room add a smidge to the top as he is looking up.
(Just a personal view :))

TFS (y)
Thanks Gav.

As above the crop was the biggest issue this time. I just couldn’t settle on placement.

I will revisit this one at a later date with different eyes and see how things feel then but will be keeping in mind your suggestion (y)

Lovely image, well done, during your cropping deliberations and future thoughts on it , I would suggest that you consider a square crop. Just my thoughts feel free to ignore
Thank you Peter.

if/when I have another look I’ll play with a square crop to see. I rightly or wrongly, most likely the latter, discount a 1x1 crop as I mentally associate with instagram. Daft I know! Will give it a try though.

Top shelf. Really nicely done.

I'd echo Peter's suggestion on the square crop, not that there's anything wrong with the one you have done. While the rule of thirds works fine, I find if I have a single subject and nothing else to position in the shot, a central composition tends to feel better to me. So for me, it's not necessarily about the shape of the crop, but more about the subject position.

Top shelf. Really nicely done.

I'd echo Peter's suggestion on the square crop, not that there's anything wrong with the one you have done. While the rule of thirds works fine, I find if I have a single subject and nothing else to position in the shot, a central composition tends to feel better to me. So for me, it's not necessarily about the shape of the crop, but more about the subject position.
Thank you Jamie.

Crops are definitely something I seem to agonise over too much and definitely need to experiment with more.

It's lovely, it's sharp enough, a strong composition with the branch coming in from the corner and a good pose.

My only niggle would be the snow on the perch is a little bright but I don't think it's by much.

Nice work.

very nice indeed

It's lovely, it's sharp enough, a strong composition with the branch coming in from the corner and a good pose.

My only niggle would be the snow on the perch is a little bright but I don't think it's by much.

Nice work.
Thank you Dale.

Regarding the snow I did try to calm it down a touch but felt I was starting to lose the whiteness and spoil it.

My post processing skills letting me down there most likely. Will have another look at that sometime.

Back