Wire wool... No need for Macro!

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Well.... not quite what you were expecting?

Went out tonight with the wife, and got these...Technically she got the photos (pressed the shutter :LOL:), but i did the set-up (i had to do the bit in the photos"

C&C Welcome! NO EDITING OR CROPPING, OTHER THAN A TINY BIT OF SHARPENING

wirewool (27 of 35).jpg
by Outdoorc, on Flickr

wirewool (23 of 35).jpg
by Outdoorc, on Flickr

wirewool (22 of 35).jpg
by Outdoorc, on Flickr

wirewool (20 of 35).jpg
by Outdoorc, on Flickr

wirewool (18 of 35).jpg
by Outdoorc, on Flickr

WOW :eek:

hows this done?

Its awesome.

What he said (y)

How were they done?

Wow we. Do share how you did these.

Wow we. Do share how you did these.

You make a basket out of chicken wire, stick a handful or two of wire wool in (the fine stuff works best), then attach a chain using a clip of your chosing... no need to cover the entrance over as centrifugal force does its bit.

Light the wire wool with either a 9v battery or a lighter, then spin like buggery!!

Make sure you wear a hat as you get covered in melting wire wool..

These were done in an underpass to get the framed effect.

Make sure you have a big bottle of water and a fire extinguisher to hand :)

billiant photo's!!
can kinda guess how its done, but was wondering how you stop yourself from getting burnt?

Make sure you wear a hat, pref a baseball cap. i did about 5 loads tonight and haven't been burnt at all. I did however spend years spinning poi, so know my plane angles and therefore manage to miss spraying myself in the face, all i have to worry about is the debris coming from above, and that's where the hat comes in... I've done it hundreds of times and have only been burnt once.

Last edited:
Soon as I saw the first shot I knew you'd spun before, there's something about the spherical form says you're no beginner. What grade wool are you using as seems to spray a lot finer and less orange than the stuff I spin. Also, whereabouts in Hants- might end up bumping into each other one night lol

Fantastic shots!!! no3 is my fav, I like the way you have used the underpass to frame the shot. I want to have a go at this myself. great work dude.

I've been dying to try this. Great shots. (y)

Another method is to rig the wire wool up to the end of an electric drill, then when you pull the trigger you get a much more uniform spin. Quite popular with some "urbexers".

Another method is to rig the wire wool up to the end of an electric drill, then when you pull the trigger you get a much more uniform spin. Quite popular with some "urbexers".

I use a straightened wire coat hanger and always a 9v battery rather than lighter. Urbexing with a lighter (and no cigs) or an electric drill is asking for trouble.

I use a straightened wire coat hanger and always a 9v battery rather than lighter. Urbexing with a lighter (and no cigs) or an electric drill is asking for trouble.

back in the day we did some comparisions between wire wool being burnt with a lighter and 9v battery, although marginal we found that the wire burnt brighter with a 9v.... never did find out why.

Just be safe, think about the location, when you start going the sparks can get upto 20 feet and then spread, so make sure you know what is on the floor and above you... within a 30 foot circle, you dont want to go igniting rubbish or worse something even more flamable...

Last edited:
Damn, all those shots are stunning!

I'll be taking myself to the nearest pound shop for some wire wool (perhaps cheap brillo pads might do the same job?).

Superb effort!

Damn, all those shots are stunning!

I'll be taking myself to the nearest pound shop for some wire wool (perhaps cheap brillo pads might do the same job?).

Superb effort!

Never tried brillo pads but i would think the soup stuff might not help things. saying that it may change the colour of the sparks...? Worth a try.

Im sure the pound shop does wire wool. try different thickness, these were with really fine wool

Last edited:
Fantastic!!!!! Will be trying this, this weekend!!!!!!!!

and a scarf as you dont want bits of WW down your back or chest, or a tight zip up coat, it hurts honest and use safety goggles as well dont want to damage your eyes

Last edited:
i did try this before with a corse (ish) wool, but it wouldnt light very well..... so it kinda sucked. alot.

yours look v.cool though

Fab stuff .......... what shutter speed did you use? was it on a tripod as well?

Amazing! All of em :)

Teriffic!!!!!!!!!

Wow! they truely have the loveble! Awesome stuff

I dont have a camera to do this at the moment, but i might experiment once it does arrive.

So how did you do it, is there any actual guide on linking up a 9v battery to the wool or is it via the cage?

I dont have a camera to do this at the moment, but i might experiment once it does arrive.

So how did you do it, is there any actual guide on linking up a 9v battery to the wool or is it via the cage?

No, you can put the battery in from the top, you literally just have to touch the two contacts on the wool and watch it spark, then start spinning.... :)

Great pics, I would be constantly worried about the sparks seting light to the surroundings

Good stuff (y)
would love to try it, but would have trouble getting helping hands :D well apart from my 8 year old, but then the missus would kill me :nono:

Last edited:
No, you can put the battery in from the top, you literally just have to touch the two contacts on the wool and watch it spark, then start spinning.... :)

Ok, i might be in slow mode. I know you tried to explain it in one of the first posts but im still lost on how to set this up. I used to play with poi's ages ago but never seen this.

i will take a picture when i get home and pop it up, hopefully that will explain more

Back