Critique Withered.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a themed competition coming up at club. There's a trophy up for grabs and one of the themes is tabletop.

I've never done tabletop before and my product photography is average, at best. I like a challenge though so I've picked tabletop. I tried today and had an idea for some roses from our garden that are only now dying off, in November. o_O

Anyway, a simple set up, one lamp to the left of one of those tabletop softboxes that I bought years ago but never used. I've got close to what I'd like but a few things might need fixing. I'm not sure on the reflections on the glass, if they add to it or are distracting. Also, I think I need to find a coloured BG and possibly a different vase type thing.

Taken with the R7, a 50mm prime, processed and a texture put on.

Thoughts please. Harsh but fair crit is fine by me. (y)

IMGL3090 LRC NEW PS JP tp.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dale, just my thoughts, could be total BS..

Looks a bit lost in space, the vase for me needs to be on something.

I think the vase shape distracts from the rose as the hips draw the eye.

Reflections are nice, may be little bright? but look even.

Just my view :)

Hi Dale, just my thoughts, could be total BS..

Looks a bit lost in space, the vase for me needs to be on something.

I think the vase shape distracts from the rose as the hips draw the eye.

Reflections are nice, may be little bright? but look even.

Just my view :)

Cheers Gav.

I always appreciate constructive crit like that, thank you. (y)

I've just seen the hair too. :p

Cheers Gav.

I always appreciate constructive crit like that, thank you. (y)
Have you darkened the surface at all? little bit of lift may help plant the vase.
Darkening the vase may put focus back on the rose :)

Good luck with the comp (y)

This has reminded me I need to get my Orchid done before it drops.

Have you darkened the surface at all? little bit of lift may help plant the vase.

I did put a radial mask on that Bud and lowered the exposure a tad. It was a black towel and the texture close up kept pulling my eye, so I darkened it.

I think I need to try some different colour backgrounds, although finding them is a challenge in itself.

Good luck with the Orchid, don't forget to show us. (y)

Last edited:
Hi Dale.

I love these old withered flower images. I was a member of a photo club and won a few competitons with similiar images. They go down well.

The flower is a cracker in this. Colour and texture are great.

For me the glass is a bit overpowering but that's just a taste thing.

Hope you did well.

Gaz

I like it as it is, but prefer the glass stem to be cut of about an inch (on the screen) below the bottom of the glass.

I don't think the stem and base of the glass add anything, rather a distraction.

Hi Dale.

I love these old withered flower images. I was a member of a photo club and won a few competitons with similiar images. They go down well.

The flower is a cracker in this. Colour and texture are great.

For me the glass is a bit overpowering but that's just a taste thing.

Hope you did well.

Gaz

Thanks Gary. I didn't use it in the end. The hand in is Monday and I've gone for 'motion' as a subject. I do like this image though but I think I need a better vase type thing. We still have rosebuds in our garden, so I may try again, with possible a shorter, opaque vase next time.

I like it as it is, but prefer the glass stem to be cut of about an inch (on the screen) below the bottom of the glass.

I don't think the stem and base of the glass add anything, rather a distraction.

Thanks Steve. I've tried your crop and I must admit, I think it's better without the base of the glass. (y)

A bit late to this I know, but if you have another go - my feeling is that moving the vase towards the left to leave a whitespace (blackspace?) more to the right where the rose is pointing, would help the composition? It may not work, but worth a try maybe.

Edited to add: and maybe a withered petal bottom right to give balance?

Last edited:
Back