Words/phrases you hate to hear

built from the ground up!!!!!!

FFS you haven't redesigned a PCB and capacitors etc, you haven't built it from the ground up, you have assembled parts!!!

People that use trending words

The one at the minute for me is lad

"Ok lad that's fine lad"

Never ever heard it used until about a year ago now I see it everywhere

Good point. "trending".
Yeah every time I hear Steve Wright say that on his show, I want to slap him!
Come to that, every time I hear Steve Wright, I want to slap him.

Yeah every time I hear Steve Wright say that on his show, I want to slap him!
Come to that, every time I hear Steve Wright, I want to slap him.

Reminds of this phrase. well jingle, 'Steve Wright in the afternoon', how on earth is he still broadcasting the same show 30 years later? Good grief, he's so full of himself, imo.

GALVANISED

In a conversation thats not about metal treatment or coating metal for longevity.....

People just use these words in a desperate attempt to sound cleverer or cooler than they actually are. Which is not very cromulent if you ask me.

A rather floccinaucinihilipilification example wouldn't one agree.....lol

A rather floccinaucinihilipilification example wouldn't one agree.....lol
Completely agree on that (y)
No idea how I know what that means, I guess its just another useless piece of information stored for some reason or another :D

That was an answer for the rebels amongst you btw...

"RENDITION" :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I find it's not so much particular words or phrases that annoy me but the people who say them.
Something that sounds utterly benign from one person can make me want to put my hands around the throat of somebody else . . . and come to think of it, there are a few people who don't even have to say anything in order to annoy me.
Breathing too heavily (or even breathing at all in a few very special cases ) is enough to wind me up.

Apart from those notable exceptions, I'm pretty laid back really though honestly :D

GALVANISED

In a conversation thats not about metal treatment or coating metal for longevity.....
Oh I don't know about that one. It worked for the chemical brothers.

GALVANISED

Well this reference to that word lists the metal treatment as secondary to the "the troops were galvanised into action.........." type of usage ;)

gal·va·nize
(găl′və-nīz′)
tr.v. gal·va·nized, gal·va·niz·ing, gal·va·niz·es
To stimulate or shock with an electric current.
2. To arouse to awareness or action; spur: "The country was galvanized in the weeks and months after 9/11" (DavisPhinney).
3. To coat (iron or steel) with rust-resistant zinc.

I suppose the one (in)famous quote from George W, "why don't the French have a word for entrepreneur...." is just one example of 'americanisms' bastardising the English lanuguage, why oh why do they drop the letter "u" and have to spell centre as center!!!! The latter being adopted by a mainstream UK plumbing and building materials merchant ~ grrrr!!!!

ancient mariner is Hendrix??
Quick...off to the ghost thread.....

Absolutely. ;)

rednorange.jpg~original

Well this reference to that word lists the metal treatment as secondary to the "the troops were galvanised into action.........." type of usage ;)

gal·va·nize
(găl′və-nīz′)
2. To arouse to awareness or action; spur: "The country was galvanized in the weeks and months after 9/11" (DavisPhinney).

Has no-one else heard of Galvani?

gal·va·nize
(găl′və-nīz′)

Exactly.
People were being galvanized long before metal.

Back