Words/phrases you hate to hear

"Bring" as in "I'm going to bring my cat to the vet" when they are talking about taking their cat to the vet.

Someone at work uses it that way all the time, it's just like finger nails on a blackboard to my ears!

Ned Boulting's TDF commentry " after this short break " time to do the weekly shop at Tesco then ?

Actually now I've started all TV adverts, lying, manipulative time consuming crap sucking up 20 mins of a 1 hour program and turning a 1hr 45min film into 2hrs 30min. Get rid of them and the World will be a better place.

If you're watching your film in the evening, it will only be 14 minutes longer due to adverts since they're limited to 8 minutes per hour in the evening. :)
(The maximum during the day is 12 minutes per hour.)

Actually now I've started all TV adverts, lying, manipulative time consuming crap sucking up 20 mins of a 1 hour program and turning a 1hr 45min film into 2hrs 30min. Get rid of them and the World will be a better place.
We got into the habit of automatically pressing 'mute' as soon as the TV adverts come on, if there are more than one person in the room. It's amazing to get a couple of minutes to chat each time. Or just a few moments of peace. I sort of miss it now we're on internet TV with no ads.

We got into the habit of automatically pressing 'mute' as soon as the TV adverts come on, if there are more than one person in the room. It's amazing to get a couple of minutes to chat each time. Or just a few moments of peace. I sort of miss it now we're on internet TV with no ads.

Lately I've found myself either changing channel or leaving the room every time that that annoying Nick Grey and his rechargeable gadgets adverts come on (be it the vacuum cleaner, bike and the mower ones - sometimes all three are shown in succession). I can only put up with that "and the dirt vanishes . . . proper job!" in his own god-knows-what-kind-of accent for so often.

If you're watching your film in the evening, it will only be 14 minutes longer due to adverts since they're limited to 8 minutes per hour in the evening. :)

Really, seems longer, I wonder if anyone (Ofcom) actually checks ? can you check it for us please ? ;)

Really, seems longer, I wonder if anyone (Ofcom) actually checks ? can you check it for us please ? ;)

I bet they get enough stick from complainers to ensure they do check. ;)

Which was used in England more often than "got" for centuries before the Yanks started. :LOL:

I don't care I don't like it. It sounds contrived. :p:mooning:

This is known as "colony lag" - many Americanisms were actually in common usage at the time America was settled (by Europeans), they maintained more of the language as it was spoken at that time while British English has evolved further and became more complicated, for example the extra "u" in words like colour was actually introduced to British English, and not dropped from American English, and likewise "z" changed to "s" in British English words ending with "-ize".

Should of, could of, swap out, I could care less.

Also a lot (most) of the BBC Scotland news presenters say "secetry" when what they should say is "secretary"

:mad:

Last edited:
Any adverb placed before the word unique.
This may already be listed in the thread, but I just heard it again and it makes me grind my teeth. :mad::D

Any adverb placed before the word unique.
This may already be listed in the thread, but I just heard it again and it makes me grind my teeth. :mad::D
Fairly sure that it has been used in here before, so not quite a unique statement, but very nearly :D

Beings as we are complaining about wrong words. (Yes I know), here are a couple I discovered after leaving the UK.

Nought or zero is a number. O is a letter. It's so sweet when people use an O as a number. Well it 'looks' like a nought!

What do you put on top of the Christmas tree? You might put a star or a fairy on the top. It's just if you look closely at the fairy, it is in fact an angel. And always has been! The angel makes sense at Christmas. But a fairy? Where did that come from? Brilliant!

Last edited:
Nought or zero is a number. O is a letter. It's so sweet when people use an O as a number. Well it 'looks' like a nought!

I know, but there's an SA station called '7O2' radio, pronounced Seven Oh Two. That was their original frequency, but Seven Nought or Zero Two just doesn't sound right...:D

viv1969 introduced these constraints and I did invite her to check :)

So I sat down to watch 3rd test highlights on Channel 5 tonight. I usually 'time-shift' commercial programs due to the over-powering adverts but sport I like to avoid the result and watch it live.

During the 1 hour coverage there were 3 advert breaks which I clocked with a small kitchen timer.

i-bDSNTfk.jpg

Yep, 11 mins 21 secs of adverts. This did not include Ch5's own promotions (upcoming programs etc) and did not include the annoying 'competition' included in every program.

So we probably got less than 45 mins of actual cricket or cricket talk.

Now this seems to drive a horse & cart through the Ofcom regulations, here is a brief synopsis

“ On the commercial channels, the amount of airtime allowed by the UK broadcasting regulator Ofcom for advertising is an overall average of 7 minutes per hour,
with limits of 12 minutes for any particular clock hour (8 minutes per hour between 6pm and 11pm) "

I guess the devil is in the detail here " overall average of 7 minutes per hour " ?

That looks like the get out clause, " Oh yes sir we may have overrun the Ofcom regulations during Ch5's cricket coverage but this was balanced by the 6 minutes per hour of advertising between 1.45am and 5.45pm "

Flippant I maybe but these Ofcom regulations are likely unenforced and unsubstantiated (much like most of the claims made within said adverts)

I seems like a vicious circle to me, adverts persuade viewers to 'go elsewhere' advertising revenue is linked to viewing figures ergo more/longer adverts ?

I will now probably get the succinct advice FFS use the off button and I thank you in advance. :agree:

Your own "didn't include" times certainly work against you.
You take it all too seriously. :LOL:

Beings as we are complaining about wrong words. (Yes I know), here are a couple I discovered after leaving the UK.

What do you put on top of the Christmas tree? You might put a star or a fairy on the top. It's just if you look closely at the fairy, it is in fact an angel. And always has been! The angel makes sense at Christmas. But a fairy? Where did that come from? Brilliant!

FWIW, there are a lot of fairies sold for commercialmas trees these days, not to mention Disney characters...

As for the O and 0 confusion, it bugs me sometimes as well. Not too bad when it's a phone number - they'll always be 0s but when someone tells you their password is ABC89O when they mean ABC890, it can get frustrating!

Your own "didn't include" times certainly work against you.
You take it all too seriously. :LOL:

Absolutely, this is deadly serious stuff isn't it ? better save your funny faces for the light stuff eh ?

Everyone knows Sir Isaac Newton goes on top of the tree.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqiiCOFR0Y8

When I hear touch base it makes me grind my teeth ( briefly make or renew contact with someone. )

Another Americanisation that has invaded our language.

1st, 2nd or 3rd?

BOOM!!!

:rolleyes:

Oh and "face time"

Last edited:
Friended and/or unfriended.

Hendy.
It's what Germans call a mobile phone. Where most think it's an English word and people will know what they are talking about.

Must get confusing for English tourists who get mugged...

Three point turn.
As always said by new drivers.

Driving instructors tend to say to new drivers, it is a turn in the road, using forward and reverse gears.

Synergy....when used in relation to a job application.
This has, I'm told, replaced "teamwork", in the big dictionary of pretentious gobbledygook.

Our company would be nothing without our leveraging of cross-functional synergy savings. We'd never have gained traction in our adjacent technological marketplaces without it. Sure, cascading down our customer focussed multi-platform pro-active re-alignment helped but not with that sort of momentum gain.
Anyway I cant stop, I have an Armitage-Shanks defecation interface scenario coming up.

I've heard Americans say "ex" instead of "times" in cases like a 10x zoom. Listen to Tony Northrup here when he talks about a 1.6 ex crop factor. In this video he criticises a lot of camera brands. If you don't hate any brand yet, watch and find out what you should be hating. Or, as he says, get irate because he said something bad about your favourite brand.
Amazingly he pronounces "route" correctly though. Like root and not rowt with a nowt sound.
But anyway, if you still don't hate any of those brands or hate Tony himself, then you'll need to get onto the Internet a bit more. There are lots of things to hate there. TP does it's bit.

Last edited:

When I was in the Merchant Navy, a long time ago now, the Deck Officers always pronounced the zero in a compass course as O when giving bearings or course to steer instructions to the helmsman; such as ship bearing One Four Oh (140) degrees or steer Two Oh Eight (208) degrees. Given our long nautical history this is probably where the habit of pronouncing 0 as O began.

They also gave, because they were very familiar with the use of a compass for navigation rather than staring at an AIS equipped chart plotter, a direction in 'Points' when describing the bearing of an object from the ship. Nautically the compass is divided into thirty two named directions, the Points of the Compass, and to save saying the actual words, look them up and you'll see why, a Deck Officer would say that another ship was "Three points off the starboard bow." to indicate its direction.

While on nautical subjects, although most know of the fathom as a unit of length, the cable and shackle are also defined lengths.

If you have read this far here's the most confusing one of all. The Gross Ton, the one most often quoted in describing the size of a merchant ship, isn't a weight at all but a volume of 100 cubic feet!

Finally, getting back on topic, hearing anyone say "The" HMS Whatever really grates. The HMS is NOT part of the name, it stands for Her Majesty's Ship.

Back