Would you have stopped?

Agree,but didn't the OP get a lot of stick for even thinking of taking photos,even those their was help there :confused:
Yes - because (as you can see from the sales of the Mail and Express) people like to be outraged. In fact, people will go out of their way to be outraged.

Agree,but didn't the OP get a lot of stick for even thinking of taking photos,even those their was help there :confused:

Actually yes, he did say there was help there and I was really talking about the idea of people stopping specifically to take photos rather than aiming my comments directly at the OP. I should perhaps have made that clearer.

In all fairness the 'topic' of the thread has drifted somewhat anyway into comparisons with war photography, etc, so getting sidetracked is kind of understandable...

Last edited:
I havent read all the replies so this may have already been said.
I find it interesting that people in general when asked say it's bad for people to take pictures of accidents, but when they get home after they expect to be able to read about it or see what happened on tv. Theres also the fact that the more pictures of bad road accidents people see the more chance there is of them driving a little more carefully.

Having said this I'm not justifying it. I once came across an accident scene driving home one evening, directly across the road as I stopped at a crossroads. I pressed the button on my phone quickly to take a photo as it was already in the dashboard mount pointing that way. It was more instinct than anything else, I couldnt really tell what was going on. Later I learnt it had been a fatal accident. I sent the picture to the local paper who printed it with a front page story that week. A lot of people saw the picture and said about it being a dangerous crossroads and that it needed a pedestrian crossing. One has now been put in. I'm not saying because of my picture, but I am saying there are several sides to the argument. If any accident victims had been involved I wouldnt have taken a picture.

Actually yes, he did say there was help there and I was really talking about the idea of people stopping specifically to take photos rather than aiming my comments directly at the OP. I should perhaps have made that clearer.

In all fairness the 'topic' of the thread has drifted somewhat anyway into comparisons with war photography, etc, so getting sidetracked is kind of understandable...

A lot of thread do start to drift sometimes,but i think it is fair if we we start to look into the the bottom end of say press work,then as you say understandable that it may get sidetracked on what we may seem as the top end :)

Back