Would you have stopped?

Just to add to my earlier post, my issue with photos being taken was whilst the emergency crew were dealing with the patient(s). If they had been extracted and it was just the vehicle left I'd have no problem taking photos.

Would the Amins please remove me from this site

I presume you mean the Admins...

As to removing you from the site, i should point you to the section in the site rules you agreed to when you signed up...

Registration
  • You're only allowed to register once so be careful with it. You won't be allowed another.
  • We may change your username on request, but only for a very very very good reason. The fact that 'iluvmiley' isn't appropriate now you've grown up, isn't enough.
  • Usernames cannot contain email addresses, URL's or business names whose target customers are photographers.
  • The email in your profile must always be active. If a forum email gets bounced back to us, we may limit your account until you sort it. Bounced emails are a nightmare and we might need to contact you!
  • Want to delete your account? If you've already posted then no, we can't do it. It causes nasty gremlins on the forums. You can, however, remove all your private details by editing your profile and clicking "Save". Remember to remove your email address last as this disables your account.

Thought Crime :)

The OP didn't.

not so long ago i passed a white range rover that had crashed into a shop window taking out a fence on the way it was a footballers range rover his pregnant girlfriend was driving it the cops where there no one was badly hurt ,i know some one took a photo as it was in the paper ,it all come down to diff strokes for diff folks

A moral compass is a great thing to have (and as Sir SR said this is not a slur on others ) but it very easy to have an high moral compass in front of an keyboard far removed from the situation,than when your confronted with any situation in front of you

A moral compass is a great thing to have (and as Sir SR said this is not a slur on others ) but it very easy to have an high moral compass in front of an keyboard far removed from the situation,than when your confronted with any situation in front of you

I have stopped many times, I remember having had to throw away a short of mine because of the blood, so I speak both from experience and in front of a keyboard.

S

I have stopped many times, I remember having had to throw away a short of mine because of the blood, so I speak both from experience and in front of a keyboard.

S

Again no slur on you,but i have seen it happen in front of a keyboard and at other time :)

I did!! Good spot gramps! I was on the way back from work about 11 ish and three young lads had crashed off the side of the road, stopped, helped but got blood down the back of my shirt (not shorts!!). Straight in the bin at home!

Shaheed

I did!! Good spot gramps! I was on the way back from work about 11 ish and three young lads had crashed off the side of the road, stopped, helped but got blood down the back of my shirt (not shorts!!). Straight in the bin at home!

Shaheed
I thought you meant 'shot'!

... A paramedic was on scene but i think the driver and any passengers may have still been in the car...
I would have stopped, rushed quickly to the car to see if I could help with escape or quick medical attention: as you supposed there were injured people still in the car.
Any other course of action would have been inhuman.
Driving on : ignorant & cowardly.
Stopping for photos : evil and despicable.

I would have stopped, rushed quickly to the car to see if I could help with escape or quick medical attention: as you supposed there were injured people still in the car.
Driving on, when there are already medical experts at the scene is hardly ignorant or cowardly.

This thread is hilarious, its like watching a car crash.
Personally I wouldn't have stopped but I also wouldn't demonize someone who actually did, or in this case, someone who thought about it ffs.
For those of you thoroughly shocked at the prospect of someone taking photos of a major incident, I recommend a new phenomenon......its called the t'internet. Go and have a look at one of the newfangled so called 'web' sites, whatever that means, called www.youtube.com and search for car crash........take some popcorn.

Ouch....

Although I hadn't pointed it out there were other people stopped but nobody, including the paramedic was at the crashed car. Some where directing you around it and the paramedic was by his car. So as others have pointed out I would probably have been in the way if i did stop.

So in your opinion every other vehicle that drove past the crash is an ignorant coward?

Would the Amins please remove me from this site

This forum or rather some members did my head in, in the early days. I was going to not bother with it any more, I took a little break from it for a while. Have a break for a little while, and come back looking at things differently. You are not going to find many photography forums as good out there, even if it does have one or two iffy members ( not naming any names :p )

This forum or rather some members did my head in, in the early days. I was going to not bother with it any more, I took a little break from it for a while. Have a break for a little while, and come back looking at things differently. You are not going to find many photography forums as good out there, even if it does have one or two iffy members ( not naming any names :p )
She only joined on Friday.

Obviously didn't give you the full PC lecture as we've been Firefighters for at least 20 years, not firemen :)

Lol you got me there. The kids TV gets to me. They are obsessed with "Firefighter" Sam (see what I did there) so it's drilled in my head.

Personally I wouldn't have stopped but I also wouldn't demonize someone who actually did, or in this case, someone who thought about it ffs.
For those of you thoroughly shocked at the prospect of someone taking photos of a major incident, I recommend a new phenomenon......its called the t'internet. Go and have a look at one of the newfangled so called 'web' sites, whatever that means, called www.youtube.com and search for car crash........take some popcorn.

If you think this is about being shocked at people taking photos of a major incident then you're another one who's missed the point by several miles...

if i was at a race track or at a event and a incident was to unfold and i had the camera and was taking photos then i would prob fire a few shots off ,as of the internet youtube etc most are taken with i phones or the likes ,

Driving on is the best thing you can do if medic and the police are already their unless your an doctor or policeman,you will just get in the way

Last edited:

You weren't there, you cannot say what you would do.

If everyone stopped, while medical personnel were already on site, do you not think that in itself would cause a problem?

Just because you would stop, that does not make someone ignorant and cowardly for not stopping.

Reactions: PMN
You weren't there, you cannot say what you would do.

If everyone stopped, while medical personnel were already on site, do you not think that in itself would cause a problem?

Just because you would stop, that does not make someone ignorant and cowardly for not stopping.

Exactly this. There's absolutely nothing ignorant or cowardly in letting the emergency services do their job. I'd like to think most people would stop and try help if they hadn't yet arrived on scene but if they're there leave them to do what they're trained to do.

As a frontline member of the emergency services, I have been photographed and filmed countless times and yes, even at aforementioned occasions that OP has posted about. At a scene, I have more important things to be getting on with than dealing with someone taking a photograph so if someone wanted to snap away I would just let them do it unless it was hindering the scene. However, the camera could then be seized and used as evidence depending on the incident (how many people think about that when snapping stuff on their phone!).

Would I do it? No out of respect for the people involved. You generally see people at their worst in my job and imagine if they knew there was someone taking a photo of it uploading to twitter / Facebook etc in their hour of need

Should people do it? I have been sitting trying to answer this question for the last 15 minutes and I don't honestly know the answer to this. As i said in my first paragraph, as long as they aren't in my way or interfering then although I personally don't agree with it I have more important things to be doing and lets face it, its human nature to stop and gawk. How many times have there been accidents on the motorway on the Northbound and by coincidence there are massive tailbacks on the southbound right up until a few feet past the accident.

[EDIT] - I didn't even answer the question. Yes I would have stopped (and have done several times) in a heartbeat if as you say it was just a lone medic, even to assist until there were more units on scene to effectively deal with the incident and I am probably right in saying 99% of all other emergency service workers would as well if they safely could

Last edited:
As a frontline member of the emergency services, I have been photographed and filmed countless times and yes, even at aforementioned occasions that OP has posted about. At a scene, I have more important things to be getting on with than dealing with someone taking a photograph so if someone wanted to snap away I would just let them do it unless it was hindering the scene. However, the camera could then be seized and used as evidence depending on the incident (how many people think about that when snapping stuff on their phone!).

I'm guessing that the police isn't the frontline service that you're a member of (although the occasional plod gets it wrong at times too)

The ability to seize camera equipment for evidential purposes is rarely used because

a) the circumstances have to be exceptional

b) there are three separately hoops of PACE compliance to jump through to get it right, even more if the person taking the pictures has protection under sections 9 (13 & 14).

There's an awful lot of moral judgement going on on this thread and I suspect that a fair amount of it is riddled with hypocracy.

The references to Ut, McCullin et al are interesting even more so when people are claiming that war correspondence is different from local journalism. It isn't, The subject may vary, but the principle is the same; to report, convey the facts and inform the readership.

Whether you like it or not, photographing RTCs is a mainstay of local journalism and, in the case of multiple fatalities, the natonal press.

It's important and its right to do so. Why? Because it almost always highlights a safety message related to an accident black spot or dangerous driving. The emergency services PR departments not only support the articles, they facilitate them and also release their own material.

Occasionally the bluelight troops on the ground misunderstand the press photographer's role and they get arsey about their presence. It's rather pointless really as its usually wasting their own time and is generally in complete contravention of their own services guidelines.

As for be public taking photos of an accident site for their own pleasure or to publish on social media, I tend to find that a touch distasteful. Press images are used within fairly strict guidelines of what can and can't be shown, respecting the privacy rights of the victims where possible, whilst informing the public. Tbh most social media shots appear to be gorefests.

The references to Ut, McCullin et al are interesting even more so when people are claiming that war correspondence is different from local journalism. It isn't, The subject may vary, but the principle is the same; to report, convey the facts and inform the readership.

I don't think anyone's said they are different. The point to me isn't the taking of photos, it's the fact that it seems to some people taking photos is more of a priority than helping those in need. I have no idea why so many people here are missing this point.

If a plane splattered into the ground near me and I'd established there was absolutely nothing I could do to help I'd be straight there with a camera, but my priority would be establishing whether I could help before picking the camera up. Hell, I might even take photos of a car crash as long as it was absolutely clear there was nothing I could do to help.

I don't think anyone's said they are different. The point to me isn't the taking of photos, it's the fact that it seems to some people taking photos is more of a priority than helping those in need. I have no idea why so many people here are missing this point.

If a plane splattered into the ground near me and I'd established there was absolutely nothing I could do to help I'd be straight there with a camera, but my priority would be establishing whether I could help before picking the camera up. Hell, I might even take photos of a car crash as long as it was absolutely clear there was nothing I could do to help.

Agree,but didn't the OP get a lot of stick for even thinking of taking photos,even those their was help there :confused:

Back