weekly XenosElaine's 52s Thread - Support added

... getting our monies worth here ... 3 lovely, clean colourful images. :clap:

HI Elaine

Love those Fresh daises...well exposed , well lit , 3 is always good :clap:

Shape......I love that you spotted the similar shape in the table....background needs a little work just to even it out but other than that I like it lots :clap:

Numbers....gotta be the Duck for the fun of it :D

well done one this one keeping detail in the shadow side of the toucan even with teh strong backlighting. makes for a really striking shot.

good choice to keep the greens in colour too, they work well as a splash of muted colour with the black and the white.

:agree:

:) I wanted to say that Phil, yes, it has to be the duck for me too...what a great find for this week.
Thanks Susie. I thought I might get a shot of 2 little ducks at the duck race, but when I saw that one I had to use it :)

No shortage of inspiration here this week Elaine, I'm another fan of the duck.

Well exposed too, in particular ref the white bonnet, also catching a small reflection under the duck. :)
Thanks Graham. I hadn't actually noticed the reflection until you mentioned it!

Hahaaaa at Two-can :LOL:

Nice shot, nothing wrong with that at all, good to have a tenuous link, good colours, liking the black against the bright plant :)

Numbers - some great ideas again, I love the humour and set up of the 999 shot, but my choice goes with the number plate, really like the crop and again the angle, works really well (y)
Thanks for looking and commenting.

Hi, has to be the duck, bit of a crop of the top grill thing but thats being picky, made me smile (y)
Thanks Allan. I wasn't sure whether to make it a square crop, but settled for the traditional portrait format in the end.

Hi Elaine,
I have to go for #3 as 13's my lucky number nice even colour bg well lit (y)(y)
Thanks Judi. The bg's actually mostly pp - the door needs a fresh coat of paint!

HI Elaine

Love those Fresh daises...well exposed , well lit , 3 is always good :clap:

Shape......I love that you spotted the similar shape in the table....background needs a little work just to even it out but other than that I like it lots :clap:

Numbers....gotta be the Duck for the fun of it :D
Thanks for the comments Lynne.

WPC Duck to the rescue :)

I like #2, nice detail and well it's a Harley. I'd have been tempted to get lower wi a shallower DOF.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. Yes, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Harleys since my first husband had one many, many years ago - it's the whole Easy Rider thing I suppose :cool:

Hi Elaine, I like the duck for its fun value. You had some bright colours there to deal with and they don't seem washed out to me either.
Thanks Simon. I wasn't sure how well the duck would go down with some of the more technical-minded on here, but I think it has served its purpose in making people smile :)

Week 21 - Strong/Strength

I really hate doing product-type shots, but couldn't think what else to do for this one with the lousy weather we've had recently. So, three options again.

#1 Export Strength

14102768698_a82d5e11b9_b.jpg

#2 Curiously Strong

14287418862_2215e3176f_b.jpg

#3 Tropical Strength - I thought this made a particularly boring shot and the print on the plastic bottle wasn't very sharp either, so I've played around in pp and cloned various bits of jungle that I shot in Malaysia last year into the background to make it a bit more interesting :rolleyes:

14266284016_fdeb00b3d2_b.jpg

HI Elaine

I like the product shot of the peppermints...sharp , good colors , well lit & in your face :) it can be hard trying to make a plain object have some appeal in a shot....how about putting the tin to one side of the shot & having a few of the mints laid around/in front of it, maybe even have the lid not snapped closed ?

I agree ... the peppermint tin is the strongest image but maybe you could do more with it.

:clap:

Yep, definitely the peppermint tin Elaine, lighting, detail, colours all look great (y) For me, the composition works fine too :)

Hi, out of the three the mints work best as Lynne says a little something else in the pic would make a huge difference

Last one for me for strong. Lovely vivid colours and cracking detail.

Just the composition as crit. It's just a but organised, IYSWIM, I'd prefer an angle, maybe la low angle.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

#2 gets my vote too Elaine(y)
Perhaps a wee bit of photoshoppery to make it look like an old advert?
Wouldn't know how to do that myself though :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for all the comments and feedback. As I said, I hate doing product-type shots, as I always struggle with angles, lighting, etc to make them look interesting, so all your suggestions are very much appreciated and I'll bear them in mind for next time, because it's definitely an area I need to practise. :(

I'm just back from a family weekend in Conwy, where I managed to pick up this week's theme on Friday night. I took a lot of rather mundane-looking shots of fabrics, wood, stone walls, etc to fit the theme, but in the end I've gone with details from 3 more general shots that I took at the Welsh mountain zoo, which I think are far more interesting, whilst still on theme.

#1 Ostrich - I love the fluffiness and the long silky eyelashes, but he was obviously far more appreciative of the texture of the mouthful of grass he was chewing on.
14326966444_03dc0333a8_b.jpg

#2 Macaw - Soft feathers and smooth, hard beak.
14324327811_e415d88c8c_b.jpg

3 - Chimp - This was taken through thick glass so not brilliant for quality, but I couldn't resist the combination of his worn, leathery hands and the woody twig he was playing with.
14347853453_b4f2758e70_b.jpg

really nice and deffo on theme, number 3 has plenty of different textures

Thanks Richard :)

I also prefer #3 for the rarity value of it, I've seen plenty of ostriches and parrots but this is a refreshingly differnent angle on an animal shot.

Through glass obviously made it harder but I think you've still retained the textures and the detail, possibly this has introduced a bit of a blue cast to the shot?

Thanks Graham. The glass actually gave everything a bit of a sickly yellowish green hue and I think I've slightly over-tweaked the blue to try and compensate for that :oops: :$

I can't decide which one I like more - 1 or 3, but those are the two that stick out for me.
I think it's number 1 for its colourfulness though. You dun gud!
Though, I have to say, I hadn't noticed you'd shot number 3 through glass!

I can't decide which one I like more - 1 or 3, but those are the two that stick out for me.
I think it's number 1 for its colourfulness though. You dun gud!
Though, I have to say, I hadn't noticed you'd shot number 3 through glass!
Thanks Simon. I think the hands are the best bit of the best one of several shots I took of the chimps. The reflection and distortion seems to have been minimal compared to some others.

Hi Elaine...the ostrich shot is excellent....but that last one has a very magical quality about it....the more I look at it the more I love it :)
Thanks Susie. I think it's the fact that they are so human-looking that makes them so fascinating.

Back