Critique Young Goldfinch (Plus Greenfinch on garden feeder)

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Two visitors to the garden.

Open to C&C on both, but I know and apologise for the feeder as it spoils the image, the Goldfinch are the ones I struggle with due to the contrast in colours.

Thank you for looking :)

1/1250 - ISO 640 - f6.3 - 600mm

Young Goldfinch
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

1/1250 - ISO 640 - f5.6 - 600mm

Greenfinch
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Yup, a fledgling Goldfinch but looks old enough to be looking after itself now. From a crit point of view, I'd lose the blobs to the left of the frame, they're a little distracting. It looks close as the back of the bird is sharp but there is some OOF drop off towards the head and tail, just what you'd expect at F6.3, close up. The drop isn't drastic though, I only just noticed it. The light is possibly a little on the harsh side, for me , but not much you can do about that. Lovely to see Gav.

Well done on getting Goldfinches, not everybody has them in their gardens.

Nice to see a Greenfinch too, sadly, they are becoming few and far between.

Yup, a fledgling Goldfinch but looks old enough to be looking after itself now. From a crit point of view, I'd lose the blobs to the left of the frame, they're a little distracting. It looks close as the back of the bird is sharp but there is some OOF drop off towards the head and tail, just what you'd expect at F6.3, close up. The drop isn't drastic though, I only just noticed it. The light is possibly a little on the harsh side, for me , but not much you can do about that. Lovely to see Gav.

Well done on getting Goldfinches, not everybody has them in their gardens.

Nice to see a Greenfinch too, sadly, they are becoming few and far between.
It's still following the parents around, they are trying to push it away.

Sorry, I blame the heat for missing the blobs :LOL:, the light was very harsh, full mid morning sun, I keep practising with them as they have the white on the black and I normally fudge one or the other, thank you for the feedback, much apperciated as always.

We have about a dozen Goldfinch, 2 families remain at the moment, but the others normally return end of summer.

We have 1 pair of Greenfinch, no young this year :( I have spotted a small group in the local field so that was a nice find :)

the light was very harsh, full mid morning sun, I keep practising with them as they have the white on the black and I normally fudge one or the other,

Yes, in harsh light, you will have problems. The whites on my Kingfishers (same on the Fox's cheeks) are my nemesis but it's the light most of the time. Nowadays, I don't even take a camera if I think the light is going to cause problems.

Now if it's a bright day but with cloud cover, there's more of a chance.

I think in the light you had, you've actually struck a very good balance in your above images.

Last edited:
Yes, in harsh light, you will have problems. The whites on my Kingfishers (same on the Fox's cheeks) are my nemesis but it's the light most of the time. Nowadays, I don't even take a camera if I think the light is going to cause problems.

Now if it's a bright day but with cloud cover, there's more of a chance.

I think in the light you had, you've actually struck a very good balance in your above images.
Thanks, Dale.
I should leave the camera alone now and then, but I can't, I have to try :LOL:

Back