Your shots with the Raynox DCR250

That's not bad Lynne, particularly for a first try.

I see from your exif that you used F6.3, I would go above 10 if possible(as high as you can) to increase the DOF.

You also used 1/40s for your shutter speed, I'd go to at least 1/100s especially if it was hand held.

The lighting' not bad, did you try your on board flash? I usually adjust mine down to the lowest setting and put a difuser on it.

Hi Anthony

thanks for your comments . I did try other settings but found I was just not getting enough light in ,I just ended up with an almost black picture .I'm gonna keep practicing ,will have a try using my 700-300 lens & see if thats any better .Did'nt even try with the on camera flash so thats another option to try next time & don't have a diffuser .
Oooh,so many idea's but so little idea:LOL:
By the way ,some absolutely cracking pic's on here....give's me something to aim for(y)

Last edited:
Hi Anthony

thanks for your comments . I did try other settings but found I was just not getting enough light in ,I just ended up with an almost black picture .I'm gonna keep practicing ,will have a try using my 700-300 lens & see if thats any better .Did'nt even try with the on camera flash so thats another option to try next time & don't have a diffuser .
Oooh,so many idea's but so little idea:LOL:
By tha way ,some absolutely cracking pic's on here....give's me something to aim for(y)

I improvise with a diffuser' just try any thing that will cut down the glare.

Light is the important thing to get right. Then you can use the optimum settings. Just keep experimenting, and save some pistachios for more shots :)

I agree with Ant, a good try with it Lynne. I either stick the camera on a tripod and use natural light, or I've got a cheapy flash with manual controls and a home made ring flash adapter (about £1) it works nicely.

correct... real pain in the posterior to focus as the lens was pre stopped down... had to use a torch, set the camera to bulb to see anything on the liveview display.

The rails are

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200556159612&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

not as good as rails costing a lot more, but I'm surprised at how sturdy they feel... the tension adjuster is an excellent idea too.

I've also found

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330512468582&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

which would make the tubes easier... just trying to justify them ;)...

I bought the extension tubes John had recommended.

Here's a few results with them, some with the Raynox, the others as comparisons.

All using the 50mm 1.8 the first one with just the 50D and the 50mm

Non have been cropped these are all sharpened and resized for the forum.

IMG_1680.jpg

50mm and the Raynox.

IMG_1698.jpg

50mm and all 3 of the tubes.

IMG_1688.jpg

50mm 3 tubes and the Raynox 250.

IMG_1705.jpg

Last one taken quickly is the Canon 55-250mm @ 250mm. 3 tubes, and the Raynox 250
Not brilliant but gives an idea.

IMG_1519.jpg

I wanted to try a little macro photography but didn't fancy extension tubes or falking out for a dedicated macro lens. I heard of macro conversion lenses and just thought I'd give one a go. I ordered a Raynox DCR-250 which fits easily clips to any lens with filter threads from 52mm to 67mm. Well it arrived today, it took me 10 minutes to set up the tripod clip it to my 70-200 f4 IS and take these shots at around 12cm away (normal focus distance is 1.2m).

For £35, I don't have any complaints :D

5408581408_4f3d51a737_z.jpg

5407968447_48a864acb0_z.jpg

Nice one Ant... Have you tried focus stacking with the tubes and Raynox yet ?

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=292494

:LOL: Give us a chance John, these were taken 5 mins after opening the box, just to give the very first impressions. I will give it a try though.

All round I think the extension tubes are good value.

With the 55-250 @ 250mm using all the tubes plus the Raynox I was between 4-5 inches away, that compares to 5 inches with just the Raynox alone.

So I should be able to get the same type of insect shots as I did last year, only larger :)

That's a good first go L55GDS keep at it :)

As you say for £35 well worth it;)

Last edited:
:D... aha...

Agree l55gds, the Raynox works really well with that lens..

Anyone tried one of these with a Nikkor 18-70? I can't find any examples anywhere, and am very curious about the 250. I might pick one up anyway, as it looks pretty good with the Canon 50mm f1.8 at least (so I assume the Nikkor equivalent would be similar), i.e. not too far off 1:1.

Anyone tried one of these with a Nikkor 18-70? I can't find any examples anywhere, and am very curious about the 250. I might pick one up anyway, as it looks pretty good with the Canon 50mm f1.8 at least (so I assume the Nikkor equivalent would be similar), i.e. not too far off 1:1.

http://raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr250/indexdcr250eg.htm

The Universal adaptor fits lenses with a front filter size of 52-67mm

So if your Nikkor 18-70mm is within those bounderies it will work perfectly.

I can vouch for it's use with the Canon 50mm f1.8, with a 1.4 convertor, and extension tubes too :D

I had a go at focus stacking with the Raynox for the first time but I ran into a bit of a problem in post processing. I'm using CS4 and I took about 7 shots in RAW with my 7D and my laptop couldn't handle them, not enough memory! I ended up only managing to blend 3 shots so not the best effort. My question is, are the people who stack dozens of shots using serious spec machines, if so what sort of memory requirements are needed? Mines got 4GB of RAM, AMD Turion, dual core 210 GHz, I'd have thought it would have been able to process more than 3 large RAW files?

5422125118_40584211ee_z.jpg

Not sure L55GDS, perhaps if you ask in the computer/post processing section some one will pick up on your question.

For the limited amount of stacking I've done, I use Registax, a free programe :)

wonder if I could ask if someone would be kind enough to post a couple of quick 'snaps', with extension tupes and the Raynox and one with them fitted to a camera/lens?

You lot are getting my first shot with my raynox, so unlucky :LOL:

5535037067_9cd82eaa37_z.jpg

Didn't have a dicky bird what to do, so I just smacked it on and gave it a whirl! :D

Hi

If anyone is about who understands these, I have just bought one, as I love bugs and butterflies.

I am very new and wouldnt even know where to start on manual focus, I have a 18-55, 55-200 both Nikkor VR and a Tamron 70-300 with macro switch at 180-300.

Which lens would be best to start out on with the Raynox, Ill get confused if I just try all of them.

Any tips greatfully received, there are amazing shots here.

Lez325 said:
try the 55-20mm Sam (y)

Les :D

Fab thanks - next question

I usually set aperture priority, vivid colours single focus point

Would I be better using macro auto settings til I get used to it?

Aperture priority ( f11) and single point focusing is good- Auto Focus for me personally is a No No :nono: - I prefer to manually focus on a given point, on the subject Im shooting

I shoot in RAW - gives more flexibility when processing ;) so all this Vivid colour malarky is out

Les (y)

Aperture priority ( f11) and single point focusing is good- Auto Focus for me personally is a No No :nono: - I prefer to manually focus on a given point, on the subject Im shooting

I shoot in RAW - gives more flexibility when processing ;) so all this Vivid colour malarky is out

Les (y)

thanks, am about to go out and play :)

Ive just come back and ruined all the mornings wpork Taking Macro shots and the iso was set at 6400, god know how that happened :bang:

must remember to check these things prior to galloping off into the wilds of Somerset

good luck (y)

Les :D

Oh dear.

I must have been doing something wrong :( - I couldn't get my lens to work with it all. Was just seeing blurs through it

Here is one of mine. I haven't had a go with the bugs yet. My garden only seems to attract flies cause of the rabbits poops :LOL: I'll just have to wait until the buzzy bees and co come out to play :D

DSC05142.jpg

I'm seriously considering one of these, but a bit confused with what people mean as "tube shots"? Apologies for bringing this up as a discussion, but what is the tubing and how does it affect the lens+raynox?

Absolutely brilliant shots by all.
I'd love to start taking some macro stuff.
Will the Raynox fit on a lens with a 67mm thread on the end?
The only smaller lens i have is the 52mm threaded 50mm 1.8.
Also once i bought this would extension tubes add to the magnification if i thought it needed it?

Thats good then i can put it on my 17-85 and my 70-300L too.
Whats the difference between the DCR 150 and the 250? Amazon descriptions seem pretty vague.

Magnification strength. The 250 is the stronger but I'm not sure what the strength is. I think it depends what you want to shoot. I do sometimes find I can't get wide enough with the 250 but I prefer the extra magnification in the main.

wallyboy said:
some stunning shots, are these shots hand held or tripod,

If outside mine always hand held - I don't get on with tripods very well, never used one in public!!

Back