Your Top 3 Landscapes Of The Year

Edit My Images
No
A few folk have posted some rather excellent sets of their best or favourite efforts for the year. I thought it would make a good thread if we all presented our photos in one place.

For me I have two favourites and then the third could be one of a number I like but in the end I went with the following.

p922771954-5.jpg

p1194747654-5.jpg

p1211969964-5.jpg

Great shots! I really love that first one :)

My favourite without a doubt is this one from March when we had some cracking warm weather:

Allanfearn by Yanneh, on Flickr

Hard to choose the next couple but would probably go for these:

Cromarty by Yanneh, on Flickr

Loch Ness by Yanneh, on Flickr

Some great shots here.

Here are my 3, mainly because they are the only 3 I have taken this year, worth sharing.

1 - Bow Fiddle Rock

6931640519_2e0ba1a66d_b.jpg

2 - Findhorn Bay

8284143907_c9340c4676_b.jpg

3 - Passing Squall

8331122882_d2a6b17557_b.jpg

A big Wow at all the photos.... We have no landscape here so all I can do is look and weep :crying:

Fantastic images posted in this thread so far!
Here's a few from me.

January on the Isle of Muck - Properly stormy weather meant I only got the big camera out on two out of 10 days; this was one of the better days!
20120105-111409-IMG_0588-L.jpg

My entry for TP Day 2012 - I planned a bivvy trip to the top of Pen-y-Fan and was well chuffed with the whole set.
20120909-005138-I39A2263-L.jpg

Cheddar Gorge - this is a deceptively difficult location to shoot. Sunshine give too much contrast in the gorge and cloud cover makes it look boring. Struck lucky on this day and grabbed a few I was very happy with as we walked from Charterhouse down to a pub lunch in Cheddar. Looks a bit over-sharpened posted in here, but isn't; that's not my style.
20121013-123104-DSCF9109-L.jpg

In no particular order:

8276508071_2940fee898_c.jpg

Shot from Higger Tor, towards Hope Valley, with some sidelighting,providing golden light of the land.

8212385645_95c70b5fc7_c.jpg

Shot from Birchen Edge, I got caught out by a huge rainstorm, but then the sun came out and it was a case of being in the right place at the right time, and took the opportunity to capture the double rainbow over the three rock formations known as the three ships, victory, defiance and royal sovereign.

8293329169_4e2306c32a_c.jpg

A classical shot of Ashness Jetty, but the lighting conditions were great and I couldnt have asked for more, and we got there well before dawn to do some star trails.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I've been admiring your Passing Squall thread and image. I've got some a bit like that taken in Scotland this week, but not with the dusting of magic that yours has - it is gorgeous!

Cheers Duncan. (y)(y)

Can you post you images once porcessed and where abouts where you in Scotland were you?

Merc

I'm sure first image is classed as a wildlife image and not landscape!! ;);)

Loving the view of Colmers Hill. Its great when you get those kind of conditions.

Cheers Duncan. (y)(y)

Can you post you images once porcessed and where abouts where you in Scotland were you?

I've been busy, despite this grim grey drizzly crap weather.

Here's where I am staying - Glenuig
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=5219063&postcount=5178
Some rock abstracts taken not too far from here
http://www.wild-landscapes.co.uk/Other/2012/Joyces-Beach/27302769_zh2RRN
Stormy seas off Ardnamurchan Point
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=5230445&postcount=5229
The house in the wood
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=456186
Track at Samalaman
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=5231309&postcount=5238

There are some absolute belting shots in this thread!

I'll ad mine but they're not in the same league.

(I know the borders are a bit "Marmite")

The_Drive_to_Work.jpg

Tree_Line.jpg

whitstable_013.jpg

Nick that third shot is lovely.

Yeah, I like them all but that waterfall no.3 draws me (because I've never been able to do one I like)

I had one of my best years in 2012. The pictures that gave me the most success, however, are probably not my favourites from the year. I'd have to list them in a different thread altogether ! But it will be hard to top 2012 this year so I'd just better keep banging the rocks together :LOL:

I got off to a flyer with this one, which was shortlisted in this year's National Parks Organisation Beautiful Britain competition ..

GilbertCJ-07.jpg

Chrome Hill

Then there was this one , which now adorns page 13 of Take-a-view Landscape Photographer of the Year Collection 6 ...

GilbertCJ-02.jpg

On Win Hill

And then I rolled in this one for an article that I was writing back in October. Undoubtedly the best shot of Dovedale that I've taken ...

IMG_6814a.jpg

Golden Dovedale

Keep the stunning images coming everyone!

Here would be my 3, was easy to choose the first 2 but the final one I wasn't what to choose.

#1 - A stunning morning up at Corfe Castle

Corfe Castle Sunrise Panorama by paulwynn-mackenzie.com, on Flickr

#2 - Possibly one of the best sunsets I have ever seen after a day of solid rain and generally rubbish weather!

Nuclear Separation - Burnham-On-Sea Sunset by paulwynn-mackenzie.com, on Flickr

#3 - Taken in the pouring cold rain with a thick fog rolling on

Swanage Pier by paulwynn-mackenzie.com, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm from Tamworth so not far from Birmingham. I think your pictures are great. I took it as a project this year to take pictures near me. I knew I wouldn't be able to get up the mountains as much. Doing that I think my thought and composition has improved enormously. Let's face it, all these flash harrys with mountains on their doorstep could click away whilst blindfolded and get a good picture (ducks for cover, changes name and all other identification)

I'm from Tamworth so not far from Birmingham. I think your pictures are great. I took it as a project this year to take pictures near me. I knew I wouldn't be able to get up the mountains as much. Doing that I think my thought and composition has improved enormously. Let's face it, all these flash harrys with mountains on their doorstep could click away whilst blindfolded and get a good picture (ducks for cover, changes name and all other identification)

I had to travel from flat old Portsmoth on the south coast to Wales for my mountain shots and put up with the company of 3 TP members for a whole week so not all fun fun fun I have you know Phil. ;)

My 2012 efforts

1. Fistral Beach, Newquay
IMGP0739.jpg

2. Eyke, Suffolk
IMGP0459.jpg

3. Iken, Suffolk
IMGP9010_1_2_tonemapped.jpg

LOL - I went past Birmingham to get to most of my mountain piccies. ;)

Mind you, it takes 10 hours non-stop driving to get where I am at the moment :wacky:
And I appreciate that not everyone wants to subject themselves to that sort of nightmare.

Heres my top three, not in any order...

original.jpg

A sunset from the 'Top of the Rock' in November. Memorable for a few reasons; First trip to New York, Waiting 2 hours in sub-zero temps for the sunset (there was some snow on the roof of the buildings below) and the weather playing ball too and giving me a great sunset.

original.jpg

This one, I like because of the combination of the highest tide of the month and the reasonable sunset. I spent a while here on this slip at St Ouens Bay in Jersey, standing there in awe of the power of the inrushing tide and getting my feet wet and the camera and lenses covered in spray.

original.jpg

This image was taken last month at Lochan na H-Achlaise. I like this one because everything came together. There was just enough clouds in the sky over the Black Mount to turn pink with the rising sun. A windless morning and not too bad at -7c either.

Last edited:
Let's face it, all these flash harrys with mountains on their doorstep could click away whilst blindfolded and get a good picture (ducks for cover, changes name and all other identification)

Do you have any idea how much it rains round here :dummy:

Some superb photos here.

Three I fairly happy with

Baosbheinn and Loch Gaineamhach

2_zps82a1faaf.jpg

Hillswick from Ronas Hill

4_zpsc8ff179c.jpg

Opinan beach

3_zps163c05bb.jpg

Dave

Well I'm not an habitual browser of the Landscapes forum, and I don't think I can match the quality, but here's 3 shots anyway!

1) Gathering storm near Kenilworth, on my first and last roll of much-lamented Sensia

1206PMESA34_zps2f3b7525.jpg

2) Pistyll Rhaedr waterfall in Wales, on Provia 100F

017.jpg

3) And for something rather different, the Monastery of St John, off the road between Jeruslaem and Jericho, on my X10

DSCF1830_zps0f0134e6.jpg

Back