Zine Exchange VI: May - September 2023

@flook999

Mixam

If you are using a color profile, use GRACoL2006_Coated1v2 (download it here) - this is our preferred CMYK profile.

This https://www.color.org/registry/GRACoL2006_Coated1v2.xalter states GRACoL2006_Coated1v2 is printed as ISO 12647-2:2004

In Affinity there is a the following Colour Profile

View attachment 398306

This is what I have always used
Hi. Have you had any issues with covers with Mixams. They refunded my zine as they could not get the black and white cover to work: 2nd big reprint was worse than the first. When we come back after a break, I am going to try with Solopress.

Hi. Have you had any issues with covers with Mixams. They refunded my zine as they could not get the black and white cover to work: 2nd big reprint was worse than the first. When we come back after a break, I am going to try with Solopress.
Personally I've had no issues previously with Mixam, their product is "good for the price" in my experience

No issues with covers - last two zines one was mono and the other was colour with a b/w cover - no issues with either (and one was soft touch and the other standard)

No issues with covers - last two zines one was mono and the other was colour with a b/w cover - no issues with either (and one was soft touch and the other standard)
That's interesting and puzzling [ and a tad frustrating when they could not produce this for me]. Could you screenshot your PDF settings for me, please?

That's interesting and puzzling [ and a tad frustrating when they could not produce this for me]. Could you screenshot your PDF settings for me, please?
1692777023231.png

1692776923998.png

1692776947068.png

Does that help? I export one page at a time, so I can sort out bleeds where images are across a spread (or a single image covers the whole page)

Attachments

• 1692777004716.png
    1692777004716.png
    375.6 KB · Views: 1
View attachment 399149

View attachment 399146

View attachment 399147

Does that help? I export one page at a time, so I can sort out bleeds where images are across a spread (or a single image covers the whole page)
Thanks for the effort... nothing jumps out so I will go and open my file when I get back to my office. It's a puzzle... The customer service person said that the ink load was too much and said there was an attachment to illustrate it but there wasn't. I don't have a clue what would cause ink overload...

Last edited:
OK. Mostly done now. Might reshoot one image on Saturday. Spent most of this morning picking a font, and trying to come up with a reason. I'm finding that the way I put projects together comes from a sense rather than something I can define. It makes it quite difficult to answer the question "what the hell is this?" My work feels very unpolished & rough.

Getting there though!

Right folks. We're at the decision time! I'll start by tagging everyone who's stuck their nose into the thread to remind them bar the ones I remember saying they were bowing out. If I forgot you (either way) I apologise! List incoming...

@Mr Perceptive
@sirch
@Ed Sutton
@FishyFish
@Cloudforest
@ancient_mariner
@gjhill
@Hadron
@Penlens
@Allan.H
@yamahatdm900
@benc98
@flook999
@KarenShootsFilm
@superpippo
@Seanazz
@Rincewind
@Solo man

Note - you don't have to be on the list above to take part. There's still oodles of time as Dave would say.... It's just that it's make-your-mind-up time as Bucks Fizz would have said.

So, if you would like to commit to taking part, here's what happens now.

1. Between now and next Friday, PM me your forum handle, along with your real name and address and "zine exchange" in the subject. I know it sounds daft, but having it all in one place makes it easy to copy/paste into the large PM I'll send back out.
2. Next weekend, I will send out a PM to all those who have replied with everyone else's name and address, as well as update this thread with the confirmed total number of entries so that folks can get the appropriate amount printed.
3. By the end of October, you will need to get your zines printed, and mailed off to each recipient on the list. The reason for such a long delay allows people time to actually construct their zine and get it printed as well as receive it from their printer and then post it out to participants. In reality, most people get them out within a couple of weeks.

Then we're done. Feel free to review your zines, give feedback, show screenies, or share your journey in making your zine.

Right folks. We're at the decision time! I'll start by tagging everyone who's stuck their nose into the thread to remind them bar the ones I remember saying they were bowing out. If I forgot you (either way) I apologise! List incoming...

@Mr Perceptive
@sirch
@Ed Sutton
@FishyFish
@Cloudforest
@ancient_mariner
@gjhill
@Hadron
@Penlens
@Allan.H
@yamahatdm900
@benc98
@flook999
@KarenShootsFilm
@superpippo
@Seanazz
@Rincewind
@Solo man

Note - you don't have to be on the list above to take part. There's still oodles of time as Dave would say.... It's just that it's make-your-mind-up time as Bucks Fizz would have said.

So, if you would like to commit to taking part, here's what happens now.

1. Between now and next Friday, PM me your forum handle, along with your real name and address and "zine exchange" in the subject. I know it sounds daft, but having it all in one place makes it easy to copy/paste into the large PM I'll send back out.
2. Next weekend, I will send out a PM to all those who have replied with everyone else's name and address, as well as update this thread with the confirmed total number of entries so that folks can get the appropriate amount printed.
3. By the end of October, you will need to get your zines printed, and mailed off to each recipient on the list. The reason for such a long delay allows people time to actually construct their zine and get it printed as well as receive it from their printer and then post it out to participants. In reality, most people get them out within a couple of weeks.

Then we're done. Feel free to review your zines, give feedback, show screenies, or share your journey in making your zine.
You'll have to cross me off the list, Ian. I couldn't come up with anything that worked and am about to start on a mammoth sheep zine. :(

Looking forward to seeing some posts on here of the results though. (y)

Please count me out as well, hopefully will come up with something ready for next time
thanks

I'm in. If things are desperate I have one already that no-one has seen in the paper, but have a second follow-up from the first that I want to get done.

Yes, I'm in. PM sent.

Mine arrived yesterday. All fine although I think I should have paid a bit more attention to double page spreads.

I’m really sorry about this but I don’t have time to finish a zine. Some work turned up and has taken up all my time. Best wishes with completing the exchange,

OK. I've PM'd everyone who has sent me their address. 7 confirmed participants for this round. Next step is to get everything printed and sent out.

If you want to talk about the zine you made, share any screenies etc, feel free to do so. It might help or encourage others who didn't make it this time round.

I'll probably kick off another one early next year, but if anyone else has a burning desire to run the next one, don't let me stop you!

OK. I've PM'd everyone who has sent me their address. 7 confirmed participants for this round. Next step is to get everything printed and sent out.

If you want to talk about the zine you made, share any screenies etc, feel free to do so. It might help or encourage others who didn't make it this time round.

I'll probably kick off another one early next year, but if anyone else has a burning desire to run the next one, don't let me stop you!

Thanks Ian - Im curating my iamges now, but with only 7 participants I have enough copies of my banker zine, so I'm thinking over another couple of shoots for the new zine and maybe that will be next years zine! Its nice to be a zine ahead!

I have just posted off copies of my zine by second class mail to those on the list. I've very much enjoyed being part of this zine exchange.

I'm home Saturday evening and will get mine ordered for printing by the end of next week (sooner if I can) then post once they've arrived.

Mine are in envelopes on the kitchen counter, waiting for the queue in the post office to get reasonable. Probably tomorrow.

I'm probably going to go with my banker (work has just exploded!!) - its a sequel, so I will be contacting some participants to see if they have the first part, as I have some spare first parts that I can send to those that don't already have a copy. Some participants I know had the first part, so if you don't receive a message then don't panic!!!

I'm probably going to go with my banker (work has just exploded!!) - its a sequel, so I will be contacting some participants to see if they have the first part, as I have some spare first parts that I can send to those that don't already have a copy. Some participants I know had the first part, so if you don't receive a message then don't panic!!!

I've managed to look at my past PM's and have found the list of who got sent the 1st zine in the series, so I now know who to send which zine(s) to!

Will be posted early next week

Last edited:
Back