Beginner £££'s Burning a Hole in my Pocket

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Nice problem to have, but once the festive season is over I plan to spend the money made from gigs over this period (and from the sale of a guitar) on some photography kit. But I can't make up my mind on what. The choices so far, in current order of preference (but it changes daily):

Olympus 60mm macro. My local camera shop has this at about £350 and I have a £50 voucher from an Olympus workshop that expires mid Jan... so chance to get this great lens for £300. As I tend to use my G3 more than any other camera this would be a nice addition to the system. I already have the 20mm 1.7, and the 45mm 1.8.

A Fuji 35mm lens. I recently picked up an X-Pro and 18mm lens on eBay at a great price. Haven't used it much, but do really like the handling, and would love another lens. These go for £399 but with a £100 cash back offer until mid Jan. So a great lens for £300...They tend to be more than that on eBay at the moment, used.

A Fuji 18-55mm...same as above, but about £50 more.

A GX-7 body (£400) or even one with the 14-44 kit lens (£499 - but with £50 cash back until mid Jan). I have the 14-44 on the G3, but it's the old version and the newer kit lens is supposedly better. But anyway, I've always hankered after the GX-7 and £400 has always been my target price. But... I still haven't got anywhere near the point where I'm using the G3 to its capabilities so do I really need another body? I'm told I would notice a big difference in quality though, so it is tempting.

Book on a workshop or two?

Put the money in the bank towards an LX100 sometime in the future? Or an OMD.

Pay off a chunk of my credit card bill?.... Nah!

Like I say, a nice problem to have and I do feel like treating myself for once. Just thinking aloud here, really, but any ideas or advice welcome.

Cheers
Derek

As a sensible bore I say if you have any bills... pay them. If you have ongoing bills you'll be paying interest and in the long run if you pay off your bills you'll have even more to spend.

Am I persuading you?????

PS.
I have a GX7 and it's a very nice thing.

Reactions: Nod
If you have a bit of GAS there's always the option of getting something cheap and putting the rest of the cash towards your bills. For example instead of the lovely and quite expensive Olympus macro you could buy an old manual focus macro and an adapter for not a lot of money. I use an old Sigma macro lens on my MFT cameras and it's very good and the lack of AF doesn't matter as macro is usually manual focus anyway.

Invest in some sex drugs and alcohol and then just waste whatever is left over :banana:

I'm with Alan (woof woof) in the pay off any debts camp but if you really want the money to go on some kit, I would go down the Fuji 18-55 route.

I'm in the 'pay your bills' camp.
Yes, it is nice to have a shiny new toy, but I would rather be financially sound.

You don't own an Olympus with the current Sony sensor.
Check your budget and pick up an e-pm2, e-pL5, E-M5/10. e-pL7. e-P5 ...
Plus a Sigma 60mm to satisfy your inexplicable 60mm lust.

Stick with your decision to get yourself out of the red (which is what a credit card is really) ... Financial security these days is even more important and you never know what is round the corner. When the credit card is sorted, you can then create a slush fund and get yourself something that you really need...

Last edited:
Hi Chipper. Happy New Year to you (and everyone here) too. I agonised and agonised (especially when looking at some of the deals out there right now) and I took several Rennie's trying to combat that GAS attack and... I paid off pretty much all of my credit card bill. It actually feels pretty good to be sensible and to start off 2015 in good financial shape. My plan is to spend more time now with the kit I already have and try and take some decent photos. Meanwhile I might sell a few odds and ends on eBay and try and save a few pennies and who knows, maybe later in the year, visit a camera shop...

Well done, you! I can't stand being in debt... So, good for you. :clap:

Back