£10 to upgrade from S/H MkI to NEW MkII 50mm f/1.8 lens :)

DJW

Edit My Images
Yes
Thank God for EBAY. Just sold my Mk1 50mm f/1.8 lens for £62+P&P , then bought a brand new Mk2 vsn for £69 inc P&P. If you take into account EBAY charges usually work out around 5% that makes it only £10 to upgrade.

New lens is a lot quieter than Mk1 by the way :thumb:

Actually managed to sell my lens for more than I paid for it on EBAY. I put this down to taking the time to take really decent shots of Lens optics etc to give buyers confidence that product is in the description you stated.

If only everything in life was that cheap to upgrade :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I've got the Mk1. Is that the only difference?

DJW said:
I put this down to taking the time to take really decent shots of Lens optics etc to give buyers confidence that product is in the description you stated.

I think this is so true. I just wouldn't buy off Ebay on the strength of some of the awful oof shots of equipment you see on there. You wonder if it's really just crap photography or a deliberate ploy to hide the dents and dings. Good photos really boost your confidence in buying 2nd hand gear.

I bought my 50mm 1.4 2nd hand off Ebay and the excellent photos were a big factor in deciding to risk the purchase. In the event, the lens was mint... just as described. :)

Sorry to say DJW but I don't really think you got that great a deal. Mk1's usually go for a good bit more than that. I'd have been looking to make money on that changeover, not have to spend more.

Sammy, the optics are identical, the Mk 2 is plastic construction without the window. Also a plastic mount. The Mk2 also has USM which does make it very quiet and slightly faster focussing

Dod, bit lost by your statement. Are you saying MkI is better than MkII ? Can understand construction concern, but overall I thought the MkII was an improvement from what I read.

Re price, would have to disagree. I had been searching for one of these lenses for months on EBAY, wanting to spend no more than £50. On average they were creeping over £50 mark to say £55, but yes I did see a couple go for mid £60s. I bought mine from a Camera dealer on EBAY at £52. To get higher than what I got would be pushing it as you can get new for £55+ £10P&P from HK (slight risk of import duty......but I din't pay it from onestopdigital)

Anyway, enough banter....for me upgrading from s/h to brand new improved version for £10 is fine by me ;)

Depends what you're looking for, personally I wouldn't have either of them (and I've actually had them both), they don't suit anything I do and I don't accept that just because the MkII is excellent and cheap that I should have it in the bag. Rather keep the space for a Mars Bar :D

Optically there's nothing to choose between them. The MkII is far quieter and faster which may be an advantage, particularly if you're into gigs etc. The Mk1 is nice and solid, I preferred it as I only used it occasionally for IR stuff and the odd landscape where speed and noise weren't an issue.

The comment on price wasn't really about what you paid for the MkII. It was more that the Mk1's usually go for a lot more, usually £75 and up simply because of the fact you can't get them new any more and they're desirable. Mine went for £98 plus P&P. Granted it had an EOS 620 attached but you can hardly give those away nowadays.

mk1 sells for more than the mk2 these days, they both have the same optics, just the mk1 has a stronger metal mount and the m2 has a plastic mount :)

Fair play for getting those prices :thumb: & I did think same as you re use of lens, but recently been so impressed with quality of the glass I use it as main lens. (See example shothere ) ....although a Mars Bar is always handy ;)

Yup, as the others have said, the MKI sells for more than the MKII due to the metal mount.

i find mars bars tend to produce shots that are a little dark....and you cant focus them well, they melt...

EosD said:
i find mars bars tend to produce shots that are a little dark....and you cant focus them well, they melt...

Speaking of melting I've always wondered how you deep fry a mars bar :ponders: :nut:

No, if its an Artic Roll, you turn sharply to the left, while going too fast.

If its an Arctic Roll, you push it down a hill :D

Back