£12 or £250??? Circular Polarising filter

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
:help: - advice needed. :bonk:

I recently bought a sigma 10-20mm lens which I'm really pleased with. (y)

I've not much cash left but I would like to put a polariser filter on but I'm very confused by the price range available.

1. Would a a £35 Hoya version off Ebay be any good?
  2. Or is a £250 Lecia filter from Warehouse Express value for money and would I see such a dramatic difference between images?:shrug:?
  3. Also, as I've got a Cokin P holder, should I buy a 77mm adapter ring and get a Polarisng Filter to suit the holder like this for $20?
I've read about vignetting problems with some filters on the 10-20mm so need to be wary of this.

Appreciate your help in spending my hard earned dosh.

Hi read this thread i started i know which camp i am in filters hope this give you an indication although if you choose to spend £120 pound on a filter thats up to you. if you go into further details and specifications it really sells its-self, boy they have gone over the top on marketing this expensive filter, make me want to rush out and buy one :bonk:
regards mark

hilton photographic hull seem to do pretty decent prices on filters and can advise you best, i'd not bother buying a hoya off ebay though unless you know the seller/store as you can get dodgy rip offs which you probably won't be able to tell the difference with the naked eye

out of your choices i'd go for the hoya from a reputable dealer but as in the other thread check out kood and have a shufty at b+w as they're comparable/better pricewise sometimes for excellent quality :)

All my filters are from different eBay sellers. Check their feedback, of course.

All my filters are of the Pro 1D (DMC) range. That's the one to go for. For example, I paid around £40 for the 77mm polarising filter.

£250!?

*Gulp*

I suppose it boils down to how 'serious' you are about it - from what I know 'you get what you pay for' doesn't alway hold true. There are plenty of comparisons between a multitude of filters on t'internet. Some with predictible results some with fairly startling results quite frankly (always take a pinch of salt with garbage off the net :D )

Personally, the 10-20 isn't the sharpest lens in the world (still very good though), and I'd happily choose a Hoya filter (maybe the pro/premium series stuff though for Cir-P's) for most of my lenses.

The Cokin system I'd avoid for the 10-20. I have it... and from 10-12mm I can see the mounting system (p series) at the edges... and I'm pretty sure the polarizing stuff costs a fair whack too.
Cheers!

Ads

Leica like to charge as much as they think they'll get away with... those days are most likely numbered thankfully.

The polorizing effect could vary across the wide field of view of a 10-20mm lens. This is common when using polorisers on wide lenses (anything below 24mm). I could be wrong with the technical explanation for this, but here goes:

Polorisers work best in bright sun light when the camera is pointing at 45 degrees from the direction of the sun. As the camera direction moves away from this angle the polorising effect will have less of an effect and eventually become negligable.
With wide lenses and the camera pointing at 45 degrees from the sun, the lens will cover a range of 20 degrees (say) to 70 degrees, with the polorising effect greatest in the middle.

I am assuming all lenses must have this behaviour with it being most apparent in wide lenses.

£35 looks a good price for a Hoya poloriser, if you get his one and you find the polarising variances are annoying at least you will have a nice ND filter.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.:clap:

After much thought and wringing of hands, I think I will go for the Hoya PRO1 DIGITAL DMC as its 5mm, designed specifically for digital sensors and has a double thread. While there's an element of risk buying from ebay at £39.99 I am prepared to take a punt.

Thanks again for your comments - don't you just love TP.:love:

All my filters are from different eBay sellers. Check their feedback, of course.

All my filters are of the Pro 1D (DMC) range. That's the one to go for. For example, I paid around £40 for the 77mm polarising filter.

Neil,
(Nice name:)) did you buy the Pro1 filter and if so are you happy with it? I'm looking for a CP filter and have the same questions as you had:thinking:
I'd like to know whether you think you made the right decision(y)

Cheers,

Neil

Check how deep the filter ring is as deep filters may give you vignetting problems on very wide angle lenses. Look at the B+W slim line range. Excellent quality but shop around for them as their prices vary widely on the internet.

I've got a a B + W UV filter on my Sigma 10-20mm and it is fine. It was a very reasonable £25 from one of the of HK shops on Ebay. I think you would get a polarising B + W filter for about £50, a pretty decent price, they are very nice filters.

Thanks, I googled 'B+W' last night and a 58mm CP goes for about £35. This seems OK to me, I'll probably get one of these.

Cheers,

Neil

I see no difference in quality between my kood CP (COkin P fitment), Hoya standard multicoated CP or my hoya pro 1 CP.

you'll see slight darkening of the corners with a standard CP on an ultrawide lens and nothing with the thinner ones. the cokin P system will show up below 14mm on crop camera

:help: - advice needed. :bonk:

I recently bought a sigma 10-20mm lens which I'm really pleased with. (y)

I've not much cash left but I would like to put a polariser filter on but I'm very confused by the price range available.

1. Would a a £35 Hoya version off Ebay be any good?
  2. Or is a £250 Lecia filter from Warehouse Express value for money and would I see such a dramatic difference between images?:shrug:?
  3. Also, as I've got a Cokin P holder, should I buy a 77mm adapter ring and get a Polarisng Filter to suit the holder like this for $20?
I've read about vignetting problems with some filters on the 10-20mm so need to be wary of this.

Appreciate your help in spending my hard earned dosh.

Whats the difference between a Hoya Pro1 DMC, and a HMC! I have seen both, which ones are best?
Matt

The polorizing effect could vary across the wide field of view of a 10-20mm lens. This is common when using polorisers on wide lenses (anything below 24mm). I could be wrong with the technical explanation for this, but here goes:

Polorisers work best in bright sun light when the camera is pointing at 45 degrees from the direction of the sun. As the camera direction moves away from this angle the polorising effect will have less of an effect and eventually become negligable.
With wide lenses and the camera pointing at 45 degrees from the sun, the lens will cover a range of 20 degrees (say) to 70 degrees, with the polorising effect greatest in the middle.

I am assuming all lenses must have this behaviour with it being most apparent in wide lenses.

£35 looks a good price for a Hoya poloriser, if you get his one and you find the polarising variances are annoying at least you will have a nice ND filter.

Your post is fair except that the polariser is most effective at 90deg to the sun.

With wide angles the polarised effect does vary across the frame.

Back