£147.000.000 Lottery win!! too much?, how much would you like to win.

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
An Italian has won a reported 147 million pounds on the lottery link

Personally I would not like to win that much money as it would be too life changing in my opinion.

£1,000,000 would do me nicely:)

Last edited:
That is waaaaay too much money.

As for me, I'd love to win enough so that I will never ever have to pick a single tomato ever again (I'm a tomato greenhouse worker) . . . or ever have to lift a finger for work or worry about bills for the rest of my natural life.

An Italian has won a reported 147 million pounds on the lottery link

Personally I would not like to win that much money as it would be too life changing in my opinion.

£1,000,000 would do me nicely:)

But that wouldn't even buy you one Buggati :shrug:

Come on, surely you can find ways to spend £147M!

Enough to fund the next 3 years at uni so I can live a lifestyle of moderate luxury, buy myself and my brother a house when I'm out, buy my parents a new house, buy myself a car and my brother a car, enough to kit the house out to my pleasing, and have enough left over to allow me to move to america should I choose :)

Oh, and enough for a 5Dmk2, 24-70, 17-40, 70-200 and an 85 :D

Enough to fund the next 3 years at uni so I can live a lifestyle of moderate luxury, buy myself and my brother a house when I'm out, buy my parents a new house, buy myself a car and my brother a car, enough to kit the house out to my pleasing, and have enough left over to allow me to move to america should I choose :)

Oh, and enough for a 5Dmk2, 24-70, 17-40, 70-200 and an 85 :D

And that would only be a fraction of £147.000.000 to make you happy and a tad more comfortable (y)

I don't get why people say this (my parents say the same as you btw). My view is that, yes it is an obscene amount of money, it will set you and generations of your family up for life. As well as your own life (and those around you) think of the difference you could make to close friends/loved ones and also those in real need of help.

I'm not pretending it would be easy, of course not, but if you're a grounded person your morals wouldn't/shouldn't change. :)

But that wouldn't even buy you one Buggati :shrug:

Come on, surely you can find ways to spend £147M!

Personally, I like the simple life in the countryside, I would not like to live up to those sort of figures by living in a huge mansion surrounded by security measures.

If I did win that sort of money I would give most of it away anonymously after making my own immediate family "comfortable".

I wouldn't forget the donate button at the bottom of the page :D.

I don't get why people say this (my parents say the same as you btw). My view is that, yes it is an obscene amount of money, it will set you and generations of your family up for life. As well as your own life (and those around you) think of the difference you could make to close friends/loved ones and also those in real need of help.

I'm not pretending it would be easy, of course not, but if you're a grounded person your morals wouldn't/shouldn't change. :)

I am a grounded person, maybe I was making the wrong point, the point I was trying to make is that I would not like to try and spend all that money just to appear "Considerably richer than thou" as in the comedian Harry
Enfield comedy sketch.:LOL:

Last edited:
You can never have too much money as far as I'm concerned, anything opposite to that view is just too bizarre an opinion for me to understand.

If your life is ruined by having too much money, I'd say it's more likely that your money levels far out weighed your levels of common sense and intelligence.

With that much money, your life and your family's lives for many years to come will be much easier. But only if the people responsible for the money are properly equipped upstairs.

i understand where galaxy is coming from, its just a figure too big to comprehend. im similar i like the quiet life, as long as i had the money to do what i wanted id be happy with any amount.

lets face it for most of us something that would make a MASSIVE amount of difference to our lives would simply to not have to pay mortgage/rent. imagine if you paid off your mortgage, you'd potentially have £5-6-7-800+ free every month. for most of us that would be more than enough, whilst not enough for you to 'disappear up your own arse in a life of false friends and excess'

i dont think its impossible to come into that sort of money (regardless of how grounded you are) without your life changing quite dramatically. The attitudes of your friends, family (closs and extended) and your workmates(if you choose to keep working) are bound to change towards you,

id think id suffer from various feelings of guilt and greed with that amount of money.

I'd be happy to win £147M, but I'd give the vast bulk of it to poor souls who deserved help and a few charities.

The law of diminishing returns springs to mind here, apart from giving it all away to charity which would give a lot of good folk the warmest feeling ever, would you be any happier or "better off" with £147.000.000 than you would be with say a single figure million pound win:shrug:

I would like to see limits placed on lottery wins, a lot more good would come from 147 winners each receiving £1.000.000 than £147.000.000 all going to one winner.

I would like to see limits placed on lottery wins, a lot more good would come from 147 winners each receiving £1.000.000 than £147.000.000 all going to one winner.

They need to stop the rollovers - it's unfair, and does not happen in any other form of gambling that I'm aware of. If there's no main winner, the money is divided equally among those who are next in line...

They need to stop the rollovers - it's unfair, and does not happen in any other form of gambling that I'm aware of. If there's no main winner, the money is divided equally among those who are next in line...
They are divided when they reach a certain limit, or at least that is the case with the Euromillions. But then would it be fair to divide it between those next in line and ignore those who had fewer winning numbers.
For me, I wouldn't say no to £1Million, but I would like more to be able to realise my dreams, which to be honest aren't that big.

Good point but I bet :)D) that its the lure of that "really big one" that
makes people gamble.
I never play the euro-lottery until it hits about 40,000,000

In answer to the original question, Mal,
1'000'000 wouldn't really go that far, if you think about it seriously.
if "you" have no intention of changing you life style
ie not moving or buying a few "toys"
then I guess it will do :D

So how much becomes too much?
I'd settle for the £47million. I can start to do what I want, the interest earned on the remainder will mean I could continue to do so for as long as I liked.

I have always thought that once wins get into the tens of millions let alone hundreds they are over the top,personally maybe 3-4 million would keep me the wife and kids in clover for ever plus allow me to be generous to our friends and extended fammily.

Oh and slip the mods at TP a few quid

In answer to the original question, Mal,
1'000'000 wouldn't really go that far, if you think about it seriously.
if "you" have no intention of changing you life style
ie not moving or buying a few "toys"
then I guess it will do :D

If a survey were done with the question " if you won £1.000.000 do you think it would go far considering your current lifestyle ?" I would bet the answer would be a resounding yes.

If a survey were done with the question " if you won £1.000.000 do you think it would go far considering your current lifestyle ?" I would bet the answer would be a resounding yes.

I am sure your right but it also depends on what area you live in
( and your age of course )
a decent 4/5 bed house down here will still easily cost £300-£400,000
A couple of "good cars" £20,000 onwards (depending on your "type of car"
That doesn't leave much to live on unless you continue to work.
(50,000 per year for 10 years, so yes for some it would be a life changing scenario but for others I guess not

i wouldnt quit my day job winning that amount i would be bored otherwise even if i did some free photography courses to amatuer togs or disabled, underprivileged or whatever, i would feel much better.

I don't see anything wrong with winning a huge amount of money like that, it's not as if you've got to spend it all. If you're clever then you'd get someone to help manage it and invest some of it. You and your family will be set for life pretty much. £1million won't go far in terms of completely changing your lifestyle when you consider all that might be involved with that. With £147million you could even consider setting up some sort of charitable fund using the interest that it would accumulate. So many things. I think it'd be great. It all depends on how and if you can handle your newly found wealth.

i saw something a while back about the fact that you cant actually live a millionaires lifestyle on a million poinds, as cobras says you could make improvements but you would'nt be buying multiple ferraris and mansions full of dancing go go girls as it wouldnt go far or last long.

Gosh, what I would do with that kind of money! :nuts: 15k would be enough to make me happy and content though :) I could make sooooo many people smile with the other £146,000,085.

I am sure your right but it also depends on what area you live in
( and your age of course )
a decent 4/5 bed house down here will still easily cost £300-£400,000
A couple of "good cars" £20,000 onwards (depending on your "type of car"
That doesn't leave much to live on unless you continue to work.
(50,000 per year for 10 years, so yes for some it would be a life changing scenario but for others I guess not

The suggested survey question was not would you give up work if you won a million but "if you won £1.000.000 do you think it would go far considering your current lifestyle ?"
Of course your reply to the question would depend on your circumstances, for instance if Duncan Bannatyne were asked if £1.000.000 would go far he probably would say no, having said that, to quote your example Chris in my opinion anyone in the £300-400,000 housing bracket would still answer yes to the question whether or not they still have a mortgage on the property.

Gosh, what I would do with that kind of money! :nuts: 15k would be enough to make me happy and content though :) I could make sooooo many people smile with the other £146,000,085.

You would be happy to win just £15,000 and give the rest away, Good on you Jo:clap::clap::clap:

i saw something a while back about the fact that you cant actually live a millionaires lifestyle on a million poinds, as cobras says you could make improvements but you would'nt be buying multiple ferraris and mansions full of dancing go go girls as it wouldnt go far or last long.

:agree:a million would not go far for for those seeking that lifestyle but would still go far for the vast majority in this country.

How many events have a 1/14,000,000 chance of winning? Add this to often winning less than £14m for your £1 stake, and your winnings are split if anyone else also hits the 1/14,000,000 chance, I don't think rollovers are bad when you consider that

Having money would give me enough leeway to do what I enjoy rather than what pays the bills.

£147m is crazy but it would allow me to buy myself, my sister and my parents houses. The interest alone would mean I wouldn't have to work for the rest of my life and I could spend my time doing what I want to do - travelling, scuba diving and taking photographs.

Last edited:
it was €147 not £147 million :whistle: , anyway , i would love playing with all that , everyone i know would be set for life without a doubt , plus a healthy donation to TP of course :clap:

If I won an stupid amount of money like that I'd buy myself all things I ever wanted like a few houses, cars, holidays, camera equipment etc, I'd give enough money to my friends and family to make them happy and comfortable then I'd spend the rest of my life making myself happy and trying to make a difference in the world.

I'd get back to playing golf, I'd certainly do more photography and I'd travel the world seeing everything I ever dreamed of seeing. Then in 40 or 50 years when my time is up my kid(s) would be set for life to do the same as I did.

Too much money is never enough!!!!

Can I be your accountant please Jo? If you think £147,000,000 less £15k is £146,000,085 then I'll happily pocket the other £984,915 that you seem to have lost. :LOL:

it was €147 not £147 million :whistle: , anyway , i would love playing with all that , everyone i know would be set for life without a doubt , plus a healthy donation to TP of course :clap:

What's a few million here or there:D

I would love to win £1,000,000 but I would give away most of it to family and charity. I would be happy to have £100,000 left to make life easier.

I dont think massive amounts of money make people happy. Its having good relationships and feeling good about yourself that makes you happy.

Id cope with 147 million. Its not like you have to spend it all lol. Just live off it and do what you want to do.

1 million isnt enough these days really. Stuff is too expensive

1 million would be nice. enough to set you up for lifeas long as you dont go too mad.
i wouldnt even tell anyone if i won though:)

Back