£150 compact camera v iPhone 6

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I am going away on Wednesday. Not sure wether take the d750 yet.

But thinking of a £150 Sony compact but will it be any better than iPhone 6 iq wise

Would like to. Going Tunisia is it safe lol

The iPhone 6 has (it hurts to say this) an amazing camera for the given sensor size. It has allowed me to replace my compact, but it does have some major limitations. There is no optical zoom (digital does not count) so you must use your feet for composition where possible. It also suffers somewhat within low-light, but given the right conditions it can produce extremely crisp shots within an extremely compact package.

It has certainly not replaced my DSLR's, but it is "good enough" for the places I don't want to take them to. My compacts get left at home.

I had the same dilemma, I'm going to eyg put in a couple of weeks and didn't want to lug the 7d and bits around in hot temps but wanted something better than the phone (plus ideally something I could use snorkelling) I've just taken delivery of an Olympus tg850 through simply electronics as will be better than the iPhone, small and water proof for £165.

I'm sure the Sony would be better in several respects (zoom for 1 reason!) - but out of convenience I would still take the iPhone 6. The camera is definitely good enough - especially if you have the D750 for the important images.

I prefer the images from my 10 year old Fuji S3500 to my iPhone 6!

Well I am taking the D750 after clarifying with the insurance that it all covered so that coming with me... And I use the iPhone 6 for the odd occasions...

Take a super wide angle lens too.

Not got one. Did though about nipping Harrison's to get one

But which wide I don't know prime or

Check out the duty free shops at the airport too, although their range of super wides might be limited. You could ring them and check beforehand.

Which one....depends on how much you have to spend. On a D750 I would suggest the Nikon f2.8 14-24mm would be my go to first choice. A prime might be limiting on holiday.

Last edited:
Check out the duty free shops at the airport too, although their range of super wides might be limited. You could ring them and check beforehand.

Which one....depends on how much you have to spend. On a D750 I would suggest the Nikon f2.8 14-24mm would be my go to first choice. A prime might be limiting on holiday.

16-35 vr might be easier on holiday over the 14-24 (bulbous front element/no filter thread/heavy/more expensive).

I'd say an iPhone 6 would be more apealing to to a thief than a dslr that's hanging across your body! Surly much easier to snatch a phone out your hand!!

On a slightly related note of wide angles and iPhones... I highly recommend the Olloclip 4-in-1 lens thingy I've got for my iPhone 6. Slots over the top and gives a fisheye or wide angle FOV, and if you unscrew them it gives you a 15x or 10x macro. Great fun. IQ is surprisingly good too, which is a bonus. Only downside is that it doesn't fit a phone with a case, so you have to use the phone 'naked'.

I absolutely love my 7D, and would take it everywhere if I could, but for quick snapshots I can't argue with the iPhone. I'm assuming if you took your D750 you'd have a long lens to take as well? Having something like a 70-200 in the bag trumps almost all compact cameras and especially phones.

Canon Powershot - S100 is good although more expensive - very small - batteries last - good IQ

Not sure why the 16 35mm and the 70mm 200mm Nikons have both been suggested - both are really big/heavy lens - (I have them both) ……… even with the D750

The Canon Powershot will be much much better than any iPhone - handling and IQ +++ ….. and you will get some really good shots with it - I have both the S95 and an iPhone

If you can pick up a used S95 ….. that will be well within your budget

You will/can carry the S95/100 with you ALL the time without any inconvenience …… if that is what you are after

Other than that buy a used Nikon V1 ….. if you think it's OK, (I do), you can later add an FT-1 and use it with some of your Nikon lens ……. as well as the Nikon 1 lens

Last edited:
Back