£200 800mm??????

Name
Zak Millard
Edit My Images
Yes
mirror lenses whats it all about?
they are really cheap so im considering an 800mm one but iv heard there useless what does eveyone think? apparently you lose sharpness, contrast and get a weird bubbley effect in the background but cna this be fixed in photoshop? also the fixed apperture is a downside but can i forgive all this for a cheap 800mm? help

zak

so its a no go? shame *** there really cheap and il never afford a real 800mm!!!!!!!!

Chances are the glass'll be just a tad better than a jam jar.

as others have said, it's £200 for a reason. Build quality I suspect will also be very poor, like a toy telescope.

My opinion is to avoid...

I used to have a 500mm mirror lens, back in the film days. £99 iirc. It wasnt exactly L glass, but it did produce results, And the circular bokeh is quite nice. Dont expect award winning sharpness, but things are alot easier to put right in PS these days. If you've got £200 spare, go for it!
Dean:)

You would probably get better images is you put a 2x convertor in front of a 70-300 Sigma APO and cropped it to give the 800mm FOV...

Amen to that(y)

In my humble opinion, the mirror stuff is a waste of money. I hope you don't mind me saying that, but I think you'd be really disappointed.

Depends on what you are after and what you plan to do with the images. The quality probably won't get you to the top of the list on Getty Images but if you just want to enjoy yourself talking a few photos with a very long lens and spending 200 quid wont kill you, give it a go and see what you get.

I had a mirror lens in the 70's and I thought it was OK at the time. They are very short considering the focal length and I really quite liked mine at the time when it was screwed to the front of my Zenith EM. I've no idea what they are like these days.

Go on get it, you know you want it. You do want it don't you sir, don't you.

If you're still curious then I'd suggest picking up a 500 or 600mm mirror...it'll be about half the price and will yield better results. The Sigma 600 isn't desperate but tone and contrast will be very flat when compared to your 70-300.
Expect to pay £80-120 for one and get most of it back the week after when you sell it.;)

Bob

Back